how do i live

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

how do i live

Postby Kazz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:59 pm

how do i live
how

cmon guys what'd you do

do you just deal with the corruption and abuse or do you have to become part of it

so i gotta make $400 in a week, what do you recommend

starting at -$9

i can write

not that this is any example. i had a job, but i tried to keep them from violating the law/endangering customers and they punished me so i quit. i'm very annoyed because i can only blame myself for suffering. anyway. what would you do?

thanks i'll be in touch.
the best kazz around

Spooky Skeleton

Re: how do i live

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:41 pm

I thought you worked at a miniputt place, how'd they manage to endanger customers? I'm guessing unsafe food handling, but I'm HOPING it was out of control, killer mechanical course attractions.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:44 pm

There's probably legal recourse against your former employers if they punished you for refusing to break the law, but that's not going to help you immediately, and actually getting any kind of legal determination stands to be a long, hard slog.

As far as needing money fast, maybe try hitting up freelancer.com? A friend and former coworker of mine recommended it; I haven't tried it yet but it's worked out for him. You might be able to find some kind of copywriting assignment or something else that you can bang out in a hurry.

As far as long-term, well, fuck if I know. I've been bouncing from temp job to temp job for more than seven years now; I was actually pretty happy with the last couple but I haven't worked out any rules for how to get them consistently, and there are no rules for being able to keep them. And the rules I have come up with are probably worth second-guessing. (In general, I'd say "Avoid doing business with out-of-state temp agencies that only seem to hire Indians," but if I'd followed that advice I would never have gotten my job with Intel, which, brief though it was, was probably the best job I've ever had. I'd also say "Avoid taking bullshit skills assessments," but I'm currently feeling pretty good about my chances with a company that made me take five of them.)

I'm trying my hand at trying to make money from writing. So far sales of Old Tom and the Old Tome have earned me about forty cents in royalties, so I think it's safe to say that that's not a good way to get money in the short term. In the long term, well, forty cents on the dollar in two months isn't so bad for a guy with no other work and no fanbase who's done absolutely nothing to promote or market his work whatsoever, and maybe if I got serious about this stuff I could turn it into real money. I'm not inclined to put all my eggs in that basket, but if you've got stuff you've written lying around, and you know (or can learn) basic HTML and CSS, it's actually pretty easy to format and sell EPUB/MOBI ebooks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Adding: You can make a few extra bucks selling plasma, too. It's not exactly a business plan but it'll get you closer if things are dire, and it could help somebody out there too.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Yeah as far as get-money-quick schemes, selling your plasma usually gets you like 60ish bucks I think? Beyond that, hit up Craigslist for odd jobs.

You're obviously gonna need to get a full-time job doing something, somewhere, as soon as possible.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Are there welfare programs in your area, and if so how difficult are they to access?

Many such programs can provide emergency rent coverage, at least in part.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:49 am

If you have a car, delivering food is nice in the sense that you get money on your first day instead of waiting 1-3 weeks for your first paycheck.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:51 am

I'm not sure if it's better or worse than being homeless and hungry for a month, but begging from friends is an option.

Good luck.

edit:
For the record- I picked begging from friends & family. Not keen on testing which is more damaging to the body and self-esteem.

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Spooky Skeleton wrote:I thought you worked at a miniputt place, how'd they manage to endanger customers? I'm guessing unsafe food handling, but I'm HOPING it was out of control, killer mechanical course attractions.

Closer to the latter.

Thad: Freelancer.com might be the best option. Thanks for the advice. I'm not interested in legal action whatsoever, and I made that plain to my old bosses in my resignation; they're sociopaths, and I don't want them as lifelong opponents.

Gosh if I don't miss all of you guys.

So, I need at least four emergency writing prompts. Give me topics, formats, lengths, and hypothetical purposes for some work so I have samples, or at least actual practice. I don't care if you want me to draft a peace treaty between bears and salmon, just give me somethin that I'm not necessarily prepared for.
the best kazz around

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:10 am

I'd take a few examples out of this search for all writing-related postings, then write those up.

In my experience it is a hell of a lot harder to make money doing creative writing (which people enjoy doing themselves) than it is to make money doing all other kinds of writing (which people loathe enough to pay others to do). If you're looking to make money fast on this site, I'm not optimistic you're gonna be able to do it on something creative.

If you want to try some editing/copyediting, you'll need to torrent the AP style guide, Chicago Manual of Style, and maybe the Wired style guide, just to have it on-hand. Most people I know just use Chicago, unless the person you contracts you specifies otherwise.

I left out stuff like technical writing, grant writing, proposal writing, and speech writing, which tend to make significantly more money but are soul-annihilatingly tedious.

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:00 am

Oh, gosh, I'm not foolish enough to think that I'll get paid for writing whatever I damn-fool please. I think I'll spend a lot of time doing other people's homework assignments. It actually sounds goddamn exciting compared to scrubbing toilets (which I'll also be doing). And once my PC and I are re-reunited (can't afford bus home & back) I can brush up on my PHP and CSS and all that.
the best kazz around

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:48 pm

well i'm ok now

sorry for all the hub-bub

i just gotta create so much content that a website comes out of me
the best kazz around