A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

WingSounds

Re: A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Postby WingSounds » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 am

When I think 'antifa' I think, oh, I don't know.
Colleville-sur-Mer.
But then again, these are the same types that constantly harp on about how proud they are - and yet, I must wonder what their antecedents would think of them...

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't think the left has changed very much, I think they just have open platforms to speak from now. It wasn't long ago that the FBI were hauling film and TV execs into windowless rooms to discuss their insufficiently capitalist messaging. Now the world hears from every point on the spectrum, and not just the True Believers.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Oh, how'd I miss this... It's more the right has completely degenerated; that the 'left' includes venerated war dead, and the same folk that would normally bleat on about that - are dumb. Ahahaha...

I'm divided on whether or not I think more media is better; weirdly, I think a rather limited perspective can broaden the mind, or - if so inclined - a more driven opponent of that limited view.

The problem of the day is that there is too much media, too much information, and most people are not interested in thinking critically.
And the amount of times I've caught something odious being amplified under the banner of being 'our side', only to have claws in a deeper disinformation campaign...

Maybe I'm too skeptical, though. There are a lot of signs recently that I might be being paranoid for the sake of being paranoid, so I've been trying to be a bit more hopeful. We'll see.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 am

ITT a regular Ars Technica troll starts ranting about Brett Kavanaugh; this leads to a tangent where some other guy starts defending Kavanaugh with all kinds of "innocent until proven guilty" false equivalence.

When I respond by pointing out that "innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard and confirmation to the Supreme Court has a different standard than criminal convictions do, he responds by accusing me of raping him and demanding that the Ars mods ban me.

Guys, I've been online since 1990.

I have seen people make some dumb, dumb rhetorical arguments while thinking they were being clever.

So I don't mean it lightly when I say I think this one is the dumbest.

(The article is about the broadband industry suing Vermont over its new net neutrality law.)

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 am

Thad can you please stop banning people and raping them? You've raped at least five people. I don't have any examples.
ImageImageImage

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 am

Seconded, the two together is just too much!..
Perhaps you should have told him that "I don't really care. do u?"

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:37 am

Thad wrote:ITT a regular Ars Technica troll starts ranting about Brett Kavanaugh; this leads to a tangent where some other guy starts defending Kavanaugh with all kinds of "innocent until proven guilty" false equivalence.

When I respond by pointing out that "innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard and confirmation to the Supreme Court has a different standard than criminal convictions do, he responds by accusing me of raping him and demanding that the Ars mods ban me.

Guys, I've been online since 1990.

I have seen people make some dumb, dumb rhetorical arguments while thinking they were being clever.

So I don't mean it lightly when I say I think this one is the dumbest.

(The article is about the broadband industry suing Vermont over its new net neutrality law.)

So the other day, some random on Twitter started talking to me about aboriginal peoples in response to an offhand comment I made about the positive aspects of traditional Inuit diets. It quickly became apparent that he was more likely to be wilfully ignorant (if not just trolling) rather than just ignorant, so I only bothered with 2-3 replies before I ended up just blowing him off with a laugh gif.

His last post (after trying to cite a paper written in 1956 - which literally described native peoples as "savages" - as scientifically relevant primary proof) was "Oh yeah? Well the guy who wrote my paper lived longer than the guy who wrote your paper!"

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:37 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:32 pm

We know the guys name. And with 5 minutes of searching you can even learn what he looks like and the approx area of where he lives. Sooner or later he gonna be walking around some true gamers and that is the time to punish this loser. This fake gamer who writes clickbait articles to get attention. Lets just go find him and show him real gamer attention

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Few things in life more disappointing than hearing the first few beats of Werewolves in London and realizing it’s NOT Kid Rock’s All Summer Long.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Now... there's dumb. And there's DUMB. And there's dumb. But this... this puts all of those to shame.

My position was radicalized by the total destruction of every domain by SJW invasion. You can't have a superheroine with big tits anymore. It's totally insane, and I will support the military dictator who...deals with it.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:30 pm

GIVE ME BIG TITS OR GIVE ME DEATH
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:30 pm

DEATH BY BIG TITS IS ACCEPTABLE ALSO
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Few things in life more disappointing than hearing the first few beats of Werewolves in London and realizing it’s NOT Kid Rock’s All Summer Long.

That's the worst thing I've heard since this one that my martial arts teacher overheard in a restaurant:
The Beatles? Oh, you mean Paul McCartney's band before Wings?

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:38 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 am

Grath wrote:
The Beatles? Oh, you mean Paul McCartney's band before Wings?

That sounds like a joke.

(And possibly even a really obscure comic book reference, as there's a line like that in an old issue of Love and Rockets.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:27 am

Where's your husband to keep you from embarrassing yourself?
And comments like this shows how the Republican party has been losing women in droves.
Friends keep each other from embarrassing themselves. Is your husband not your friend? You can miss me on the fake misogyny angle you're trying to run with here.

Ssssssscorching!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm

With each passing day, U.S. policy toward Iran and Saudi Arabia more closely resembles the 1991 film classic “Thelma & Louise.”

For those too young to remember, the movie starred Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis, two gal pals, whose fishing trip turns dark after Sarandon’s character shoots a would-be rapist, triggering one of the all-time great movie lines: “You shoot off a guy’s head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain’t the place you want to get caught.” This eventually prompts the women to escape the police by dramatically driving their 1966 Thunderbird off a cliff into the Grand Canyon to their deaths.

What’s this have to do with Iran, Saudi Arabia and the U.S.? [...]

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 am

Our department put up a bulletin board for voting day, encouraging people to think about and write on the board how they were going to vote / get to the polls. Mostly it's a lot of "getting up early before class!" "driving 2 hours to my hometown!" "Absentee!" but one person wrote:

"MY NON-VOTE IS AS VALID AS YOUR BALLOT"

and I seriously do not know what they could mean by that. Also yesterday someone wrote TRUMP across the middle but it's been entirely ignored.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:56 pm

There's a type of person who believes that by not voting they're "making a statement" about the quality of the candidates. In their mind, if enough people stopped voting, the politicians would be like "oh, wow, we need to give the people better candidates."

That is, of course, insane. You don't improve the quality of the candidates by NOT voting. Even a cursory logical examination would reveal that. I never held that position, even back when I was stupid(er) and didn't vote. (My reason was it was a waste of time and didn't matter, and I hated voting for the lesser of what I saw as two evils. Don't worry, I changed my tune a long time ago. At this point it's not voting for a "lesser" evil, it's voting for a probably/possibly flawed human versus literal nazis, child rapists, nazi sympathizers, and child rapist sympathizers.)
ImageImageImage