A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Postby Joxam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:31 pm

I don't think you guys get how evangelical Christians think.

This man absolutely knew he could die, he also believed that if he didn't do everything he could to convert literally every person he didn't think was doing Christianity right that he was essentially sending them to hell himself and also believed that that was worse for his mortal soul than being killed in the service of god.

My sister is in a Baptist Church, the hard core members of her church don't even believe other sects of Christianity are true Christians (Most notably Catholics) and will absolutely proselytize to anyone they think has it wrong. There are also absolutely people in my sister's church who would rather be killed then live with the 'guilt' that they could have done more to 'save' someone.

This believe is the fundamental (lol) reason why 'I don't care what you believe as long as you keep it in your home' just doesn't work for evangelical sects of Christianity. They are quite literally supposed to be trying to make sure every single person that they ever meet is on a path to heaven.

Of course there ARE tons of logical arguments against what the dude did. Like i said by their own definition there are tons of people here that need to be saved before they even leave the country, but you literally can't argue 'logically' with people whose logic is completely different from your own.

EDIT: I actually sometimes feel guilty about saying 'my sister' when I talk about the church she is in. She doesn't believe half the shit they do and like, I'm one to talk. I went to a baptist church three days a week every week until I was 13 years old from when I was so young I don't remember a time I didn't go before we stopped. My mom stopped going and stopped taking us because she got a divorce and her Church kicked her out over the man who was verbally abusive and leaching off of her financially because he never hit her. Also my sister only started going to Church when she was like 11 in order to find a way to deal with my mom's disability and losing our Grandmother in the space of like a year.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm

zaratustra wrote:There's stupidity and there's ignorance, which is the willful rejection of knowledge.

If you purposefully keep yourself stupid, then yes, the onus is on you.

No one is saying the guy shouldn't carry the responsibility of what he did.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Also all of what I said being said, I absolutely don't feel bad for the guy and think his dumb ass should have realized that when he had to break actual international law to do what he did maybe he shouldn't being doing it. I was more just trying to explain his 'logic' behind it and also why that Church absolutely will never feel like they did the wrong thing.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:17 pm

mharr wrote:
TA wrote:Goes a long way to explaining why all the Dragon Age games are like that, with a brain genious like this at the helm.

I just read the conversations that followed on from this, and he's engaging in calm and respectful dialog in apparent good faith. I guess this one was more genuine question than hot take.

I mean not in the larger context of the asker

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:45 am

Mongrel wrote:
Why We Miss the WASPs: Their more meritocratic, diverse and secular successors rule us neither as wisely nor as well.

I think Douthat is riffing on Haberman here; an obit calling George HW Bush "the last WASP president".

Which, for Christ's sake, Maggie, he wasn't even the last President George Bush.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:38 pm

I just posted a dumb comment rant and after I awoke from the stupor realized that it was me, I was the hot take.

Krillin thinks with his dick and it leads to the deaths of Earth and The Universe's greatest hero, as well as the one god in a large pantheon who gives a fuck about Earth. Then after he bitches out from fighting to retire with his sex robot, he gives in and gets a minimum effort job that isn't even actually supporting his family.

Vegeta was a spoiled prince who learned modesty, but not as forced character growth when he joins the main cast, but because it is continuing to serve his purpose. He has two children he's been shown to care more about than any other living thing, and while he's moody and verbally abusive, Bulma is way more so, and it's implied that's one of the main reasons they work as a couple. Vegeta is also right at Goku's level pretty much always except the final Freeza fight, he just stops being as competivite when he realizes only comparing himself to Goku is a weakness.

But by all means, the guy who went from learning martial arts to impress girls to deciding he wants to fuck a girl he saw once and no one else has a say is definitely a better character than a guy who went from an giant angry space monkey to loving father.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 pm

This is more straight-up Durr Hurr than hot take, but

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Nazi is just the N-word for white men

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:04 pm

It's okay, they're taking it back.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:20 pm

(the book is the hot take, the quote is just explaining how such a thing came to be)
What happens when an educated man who hates non-straight people and the disabled takes high doses of psychedelics for fifteen straight years? Let’s start with “Two Human Species Exist: Their Hybrids Are Dyslexics, Homosexuals, Pedophiles, and Schizophrenics,” because then you’ll immediately understand why I was interested in Bruce Eldine Morton, Ph.D. This is clearly a nutcase book, and its premise, which is that left-brained and right-brained people are two separate human species, doesn’t even need to be specifically discredited. Research within the past few years has shown there is no “handedness” in brains, and that simple correlations of artistic or logical behavior with a particular side of the brain are not possible.

Dr. Bruce earned his Ph.D. in 1965, and completed his postdoctoral work at MIT and Harvard later in the 1960s. He worked professionally at several universities until his retirement in 1995. He clearly had his shit together, to some degree, to be able to do this. It wasn’t until I found his 2013 book “Psychedelic Visions From The Teacher” that I figured out how he came to the conclusion that homosexuals are from right-brained men having children with left-brained women: He tripped balls for 15 years straight. The description of the book describes how he “used psychedelic compounds to explore inner space” for fifteen years, which is also just about exactly the time period between when he retired and when he published this latest book.

It’s true that psychedelic experiences can give you a new perspective on life. But it’s also true that heavy use of serotonin receptor agonists, a class of drugs that encompasses nearly every known psychedelic compound, can permanently alter or diminish the brain’s cognitive ability. It’s not hard to imagine that fifteen years of constant use of illegal mental-powder has at least some chance of wrecking your ability to live in reality, even if you weren’t already a hateful shithead.

Or, as Dr. Bruce would put it, “Neuroreality: A Scientific Religion To Restore Meaning, Or How 7 Brain Elements Create 7 Minds And 7 Realities, Discoverer Of Triadism, Familial Polarity Galactic Big Bang Engines And The xDARP”, which also happens to be the title of his 2011 book.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:50 pm

I believe much of the popular perception of that war has been created in recent years and that WWI has been appropriated by others to advance their own agendas. What better way to poke fun at the establishment or social hierarchy than WWI 'chateau' generals? Blackadder has much to answer for.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:13 am

really makes you think
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:48 am

WE NEED borders...do not like what your name says!!

Doctors Without Borders isn't promoting to get rid of borders. Their name is referring to the fact that they provide healthcare to everyone, without being limited by imaginary lines on maps.

The name is very political!

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:22 am

Researchers looking for ways to use VR tech to trigger the Overlook Effect cheaply and reliably are receiving similar criticism, at a level that requires moderator lockdowns on social media.

Nothing's better for maintaining political dominance than pretending to be an oppressed minority.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:22 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:03 am

If women hate being on there period so much stop having sex then

I have my doubts...

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:31 am

Mongrel wrote:Image

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:32 pm

An incredible follow-up:

Enough of the "Whale Fucking is non-consensual" bullshit. A Humpback Whale weighs 70,000 pounds, is fifty feet long, can dive more than a quarter mile and can crush ships with a single swipe of its tail. If a human manages to fuck one, you damn well better believe it's consensual