A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Friday

Re: A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Postby Friday » Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 pm

ikrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

am i the only one who can type the letter "e"
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Wait for it...

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am

This brings me back to why I didn't like the latest season of The Flash: the Mad Thinker's whole characterization revolves around him constantly taunting everybody else about how smart he is.

But the other shoe never drops, and nobody ever gets around to pointing out that geniuses don't actually go around telling everyone how fucking smart they are.

It's pretty much like that. If you have to tell people you're smart, that's because you're not very smart.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri May 25, 2018 5:38 am

I'd be really surprised if The Mad Thinker wasn't the name of some right-wing youtuber

wait wasn't the mad thinker a marvel villain

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat May 26, 2018 1:58 pm

You're right. I guess this was just the Regular Thinker.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 29, 2018 4:00 pm

whew nelly!

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 am

I think the real lesson here is, don't name a show after its lead.

If your show is called Transparent or House of Cards, you can fire your lead and keep on going. If your show is called Roseanne, that's a lot harder.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 am

I mean, both those shows have been pulled now, but I guess I get your point?

Roseanne was a show about Roseanne. I didn't get to see much of the new series, but it's probably for the better. On very specific topics like feminism, sexuality, and hitting your kids the series and character of Roseanne have gone from progressively liberal minded in the 90s to disturbingly conservative in 2018, it's crazy.

EDIT: and that's not just like, because the times have progressed so fast. Like literally the one episode I saw was about Roseanne chastising Darlene for not hitting her kid when Roseanne's entire backstory was essentially how terrible her abusive father was and it ruined her life, culminating in her having a breakdown when she accidentally hits D.J. who is older at the time of incident than the grandkid in that episode.

double edit: wait I just kinda' followed Thad's post, why are we talking about Roseanne here? Didn't someone actually post about her getting canceled? I can't find it now.

O M E G A E D I T okay so I didn't get to that part of the rant originally. I thought that tweet above was referencing the Trump statement on animals.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Wed May 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Rosanne fucked up so badly her current show got cancelled, and all stations running her old one yanked it.

She didn't just get fired, she got straight up disappeared.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Lyrai wrote:all stations running her old one yanked it.

Ahahahahaha, this is perfect.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Oh man (not a hot take, just a follow-up to the Rosanne thing):

In another Twitter post that has since been deleted, Barr asked her supporters to not defend her comments. “It was 2 in the morning and I was Ambien tweeting-it was memorial day too-i went 2 far & do not want it defended-it was egregious Indefensible,” she wrote.

The makers of Ambien, a sleep aid, immediately pushed back on Barr’s excuse.

“People of all races, religions and nationalities work at Sanofi every day to improve the lives of people around the world,” the company, Sanofi U.S., said on Twitter. “While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.”

Ahahahahaha (again).

François

Postby François » Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm

This may be the first time in living memory I've cheered for a pharmaceutical company.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed May 30, 2018 11:46 pm

Seriously though, what happened to Rosie? Anti-smoking drugs? She was always crazy, but it was mostly a nice person kind of crazy. This is some Alzheimer's level personality reboot horror.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 am

Mongrel wrote:
Lyrai wrote:all stations running her old one yanked it.

Ahahahahaha, this is perfect.

I feel bad for her co-stars, who not only just got fired from their job over her racist antics but also just got their residuals from the old show pulled out from under them.

I mean, obviously John Goodman is going to be fine, and Sarah Chalke's keeping busy. But when's the last time you saw Alicia Goranson or Michael Fishman in anything?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 31, 2018 1:08 am

Fair point.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 31, 2018 10:54 am

And of course while Roseanne herself is the party most to blame on this, it bears noting that ABC royally fucked up their risk assessment here too. It's not like Roseanne wasn't saying stupid racist shit on Twitter a year ago; it's just that nobody was paying attention to it because she was a has-been who nobody cared about. It didn't affect the syndication/cable/streaming value of her old show, which has continued to be a moneymaker 30 years after it started and 22 years after it ended.

ABC gave her a platform, not just a prime-time network TV show but one that explicitly gave her an outlet for her politics, got people to pay attention to what she was saying again, and didn't just tank her new show, they tanked the old one too.

I think they must have been looking at it like it was just another reboot, like Full House or Will and Grace. But obviously Roseanne herself makes a Roseanne reboot pretty different from other reboots. I'm sure Candace Cameron Bure probably has some pretty questionable political views (her brother certainly does), but I'm not aware of her calling black people apes on Twitter.

Course, that's not to say the reruns won't creep back once everybody stops paying attention to this. I think there are stations that have started airing The Cosby Show again, for God's sake, and while Roseanne is a deeply unpleasant human being she's got nothing on Bill Cosby.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Yeah if anything ABC is making out on this. They got to reboot a show with a lot of celebrity presence without paying as much as you would with a new series. It had built-in hype from people who had strong feelings about Roseanne the original series and Roseanne the person making it the highest rated series while it was on. Then they get to cancel it right after finishing the first season before actually sinking the money into the second season that never would have lived up to the first.

And, like we're seeing from Louie C.K. and Matt Lauer, I'm sure both the original series and the person Roseanne will be right back on the screens of people who watch daytime TV before the year ends.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:12 am

When a show gets cancelled after 9 episodes that's generally not considered success. (Except maybe in the UK.)

You could argue that ABC dodged a bullet here, and I'm sure there's some feeling in that direction at the network. The swiftness of the cancellation sure indicates that they were already looking for an excuse.

But if that's the case, they'd have been better off not bringing the show back in the first place, let alone announcing a second season right after it premiered.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I don't look like my mom at all. My dad was a musician for awhile and probably got loads of pussy. Is it possible while a man is fucking a female for an egg in the ovaries to become loose and fall in to his peehole? Then when he goes to have sex with another woman he squirts his semen and the egg into the woman's ovaries and that foreign egge basically becomes the one that is fertilized inside of her? I'm pretty sure I was born out of my mom because she told me that my brother and I were both C-section babies. Having a different mom that I was supposed to have couldn't contributed to my inceldoom, too, right?

I know that posting incel stuff ITT is pretty much cheating, but this was just too insane not to share.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 pm

It's almost convincing, but what self-respecting incel would accidentally say 'woman' like it was a real word not invented by feminists?