A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

mharr

Re: A take so hot I think I got singed reading it.

Postby mharr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Of course your Trump man there effectively graffiti's the board rather than engaging equally with others in good faith. Sums it all up really.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:39 pm

In slavery, there was a tactic called Buck Breaking where slave owners would sexually violate African males to break them down psychologically. The new Buck Breaking tactic is where white supremacists use their negro flunkies to shame Black men into having sex with transexuals

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:04 am

I think some recent twitter incidents have brought it to the attention of nazis that there is a lot of misogyny and transphobia among black men, and the nazi's little racist brains are tying themselves into pretzels trying to figure out how to run with that.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:31 am

A sufficiently regressive human is indistinguishable from a chatbot.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 pm

if climate change happens, and all the low-lying areas around the coast are underwater, don't you think those people would just sell their house and move?

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 am

To Sir Finley Mrrgglton, presumably. 'Check yo privilege' doesn't work on the people who need to hear it because they genuinely have no concept of mistakes having consequences. John Allen Chau syndrome.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Why We Miss the WASPs: Their more meritocratic, diverse and secular successors rule us neither as wisely nor as well.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 pm

xD

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Goes a long way to explaining why all the Dragon Age games are like that, with a brain genious like this at the helm.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:42 pm

I actually did feel a little sympathy for him, in a "wow, that poor ignorant sheltered idiot" kind of way, but then I read the article and found out he knew the health risks (and by health risks I mean GENOCIDE RISKS) to the tribe and fucking went anyway.
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 am

In his situation I assume refusing on ethical grounds is signing yourself up for a very Deliverance sort of fate.

The worst part is there may be countless people with that kind of moral fortitude, and we'll never know their stories... or there might not. We don't know! Or at least, we can't know without forcibly intruding on a violent and xenophobic civilization in order to conduct research that offends them. Ho, hum.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 am

TA wrote:Goes a long way to explaining why all the Dragon Age games are like that, with a brain genious like this at the helm.

I just read the conversations that followed on from this, and he's engaging in calm and respectful dialog in apparent good faith. I guess this one was more genuine question than hot take.

Also this guy's self-described obsessive history of the place is absolutely fascinating:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Brentai wrote:In his situation I assume refusing on ethical grounds is signing yourself up for a very Deliverance sort of fate.

The worst part is there may be countless people with that kind of moral fortitude, and we'll never know their stories... or there might not. We don't know! Or at least, we can't know without forcibly intruding on a violent and xenophobic civilization in order to conduct research that offends them. Ho, hum.

Yeah, I mean, he could "know" that merely visiting the island might kill everyone on it, if he's been brainwashed by a cult to believe that everything will be okay because Jesus, it's hard to know how much of that is really on him (at least some of it is, yeah).

For someone who really thinks that "They might die, but if I don't go they will all 100% go to hell" the math works out. And that is a well-known evangelical belief.

I'm not saying he didn't get what he "deserved" (I think calling it an 'expected outcome' might be clearer?), but I can still feel sorry for him even so.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm not sure "the math checks out" if you scale up the numbers to show how absurd that belief is, even for a fanatic.

Imagine a species of Aliens that has colonized, say, 1/3 of the galaxy, and contacted hundreds of other species (some of which live in this galactic civilization) discovers Earth (and us) and some of them worship a SPACE GOD called LORD XENOX. To them, we look like how the Sentinelese look to us. Some uncontacted dudes living on a backwards island with a really small population.

Now imagine one of these XENOX FANATICS goes to earth knowing that he might take with him an ALIEN VIRUS that would instantly wipe out all 7.5 billion of us. And then he does, and it wipes us out before he can really get a word in about how we all have to start wearing funny hats.

Now imagine they take that guy to SPACE COURT and the non-XENOX Aliens are like "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

and the XENOX FANATIC is like "well, I knew they might die, but if I didn't go, they were all 100% going to go to Flabourisghf, so it checks out."

We didn't know about Flabourisghf, and furthermore, it sounds like fucking nonsense.

I mean, okay, I get that maybe there are actually some fanatics (human or otherwise) who really think it's okay to put 7.5 billion lives on the line FOR XENOX JESUS. But they are fucking monsters. It doesn't make you less of a monster if you scale the numbers down, either.

Oh, I forgot an aspect of the analogy. To complete it, I'd need to have the Aliens have previously contacted us and we shot a nuke at them and held up a giant sign that they could read that said "We want to be left alone, and if you come back, we'll shoot more nukes at you."
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Let me put it this way. If, in five months, it turns out that the Sentinelese are all dead from something he gave them before they managed to shoot him full of arrows, (an outcome that IS VERY POSSIBLE IN REAL LIFE RIGHT NOW) are you still going to feel sorry for this guy?
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Imagine a man who runs a red light because he's texting. He's texting because his parents texted a lot and so did his friends.

As he's running the red light, he flips his car and dies.

"Ah, that's too bad, poor guy," you say. "If only he wasn't brainwashed by society into texting and driving. What a waste of life."

Or, same scenario, but he hits a minivan and kills a family of five, including 3 adorable tiny childrens.

"Ah, that's too bad, poor guy," nobody says, ever.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm not saying it isn't mind-numbingly stupid or that he's somehow not to blame for his actions, but you can get people to believe in literally anything, given a little time and grooming. And as much as I can try to be angry at people who are too stupid resist that kind of brainwashing, I end up pitying them.

But you can feel both, you know? They're not mutually-exclusive emotions. We can have some non-zero sympathy for a crazed murderer while still also thinking they're an idiot who deserved and even needed to be killed without hesitation.

It's almost more that it's sort of a sadness about the whole chain of everything, that so many people are caught up in this ludicrous nonsense that hurts them and others.

I don't know. Maybe it's because my childhood wasn't all that far off of being in a cult.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Maybe an even simpler way to put it is to say, that this is case of someone who was as a complete fucking idiot rather than outright malicious. I don't have any sympathy for the malicious, but there's room to pity the stupid.

Perhaps not a LOT of pity, and we should never let such pity outweigh our feelings for the victims. But it's in there, in the mix of emotions, and I'm not going to pretend it isn't. It's not immoral to pity someone, it's immoral to let our pity absolve someone from responsibility for their actions.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 pm

There's stupidity and there's ignorance, which is the willful rejection of knowledge.

If you purposefully keep yourself stupid, then yes, the onus is on you.