Science!

atog

Re: Science!

Postby atog » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:45 pm

Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:41 am

I feel like after we nuke/bio-engineered disease/both ourselves out of existence, after a few tens of millions of years, the crows and the octopuses are going to set up a really cool joint civilization
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:43 am

We're deep background lore for someone's first npc ally race. Superficially quirky and amusing, but there's a lot of pathos if you dig into it.

To get the good ending you have to use deep time travel to rescue and uplift dogs.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:00 pm

I mean, if you consider history as a whole, we're already the post-apocalyptic society living on a dinosaur world.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 pm

nosimpleway wrote:I mean, if you consider history as a whole, we're already the post-apocalyptic society living on a dinosaur world.

Don't forget the twist that Corvids are dinosaur descendants.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:59 pm

The dinosaurs always win, eventually.
ImageImageImage

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:16 pm

If we can make room for a race of demi-sentient algae, I'd even be happy about that.
Oh, maybe I should have used something from Matango as an avatar, hmrn...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Friday wrote:The dinosaurs always win, eventually.

And always taste like chicken.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 pm

NYT Magazine New research is zeroing in on a biochemical basis for the placebo effect

The Placebo Effect fascinates me, because we do know it's real and that the body (for at least some people) has - in theory - far greater real powers of self-healing than is normally credited. But It's like a macro-world manifestation of quantum uncertainty, whereby it usually only works if you don't know what's going on - or even that it IS going on.

In more notable cases, the human body has performed feats of self-healing so staggering that they were described by doctors as physically impossible, and by lay people as miracles. The idea that we could actually isolate and reliably replicate such processes carries vast medical potential. Even if it turns out to be something we still will have no way of controlling, just understanding the biochemical mechanism at work would still be an incredible scientific achievement.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 am

I can't wait to see what pig latin joke name the medical students settle on for the real actual biochemically active placebo pill.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:26 am

Funny enough, I don't know if this would actually translate to a pill. It may not even be something we can make use of until/unless genetic profiling becomes a standard part of regular medical care, due to the widespread introduction of individually-tailored drugs.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Getting closer!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:00 pm

atog

Postby atog » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:45 am

fkn science and shit lurking in the soil out there, man. Watch your step

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:33 pm

This is one high-quality troll for science.

Details are great. Love the alertness of the Sri Lankan medical community on this one.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 pm

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm working on my beach bod, which is to say I've applied for a prosthesis with a giant killer lobster claw on it

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Apparently Jaron Lanier commented about this phenomenon in VR
GW:

One story of yours that really amazed me was how in virtual reality, you can attach a tail to someone and they immediately know how to control it. I wonder if that relates to the inbetweenness you’re describing.

JL:

The fact that you can take on different body plans and still control your body is one of the most startling and surprising results of virtual-reality research. It’s probably the most significant scientific discovery to come out of virtual-reality research, actually.

It was known before that you could alter the body to a degree, because of phantom limb research and other related investigations. But the notion that you could radically reorganize the body and the brain could still control it was not something that could have been tested before. And it is remarkable. One thing that's probably going on is that the brain remembers body forms that our ancestors inhabited, because as far as the brain is concerned evolution is a slow, gradual process. So the brain remembers what it was like to have a tail.

There have been a few different experiments with putting a tail on a person in virtual reality. But the best, most rigorous work came out of Mel Slater's lab at University College London. That particular tail was a really good tail. It was a long tail. And the task was to get it to whip around in front of you to hit a target. So it was a pretty non-trivial bit of athleticism with your tail. And people can just do it. I mean, it's natural. Everybody's brain knows how to run a tail.

The more striking experiments involved changing people into completely different creatures with different numbers of limbs, or with limbs attached strangely. And there you start to see a kind of jigsaw puzzle, where there are some body designs that brains can control and some that it seems that they can't. What we're unveiling is the brain's own cartography. We’re discovering what world the brain thinks it's inhabiting, or what body it thinks it's part of. And the body that your brain thinks it's part of is not just your body at the moment—it's a multi-million-year stream of changing bodies.

"Remember" is kind of a poor word here, and it actually UNDERsells what the body is doing, but you get the idea.

There's a Duncan Idaho joke in all this, somewhere.

atog

Postby atog » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Some of it could be just basic kinesthetic knowledge about how to move in order to send a weighted flexible pool noodle attached to your back, in a certain direction, such that its momentum carries it maximally in front and creates a whiplash effect. Kind of like, we need only a little training to get a hula hoop in motion and in stable gyroscopic orbit around our midriff. A brief survey of nature shows very few organisms with naturally-occurring hula hoop appendages - it's just learning basic physics and movement skills.

The better test might be asking those same participants to twitch just the end of their tails, or keep the tail in an upcurved arc while twitching the entire tail forward, or curl the tail around their sleeping body.