Misinformation Peddlers

sei

Re: Misinformation Peddlers

Postby sei » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:44 am

Mongrel wrote:
sei wrote:https://gwern.net/doc/psychology/okcupid/thedemocratsaredoomedorhowabigtentcanbetoobig.html

I appreciate how this is a very straightforward statistical failure in how he went and gathered seemingly extensive data, but only from a single age bracket. Textbook-worthy example of sampling bias.

What?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:05 pm

sei wrote:
Mongrel wrote:
sei wrote:https://gwern.net/doc/psychology/okcupid/thedemocratsaredoomedorhowabigtentcanbetoobig.html

I appreciate how this is a very straightforward statistical failure in how he went and gathered seemingly extensive data, but only from a single age bracket. Textbook-worthy example of sampling bias.

What?

Sorry, not age bracket, but point in time. That was a derp.

He thinks he's measuring change over time, but he's doing anything but. By only taking data from individuals at that moment, he's making a huge underlying assumption that the same pattern of changes will hold for all ages, which as we've seen has not been the case at all.

Unless you mean there's a different specific term for that sort of bias/sampling failure?

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:33 pm

Mongrel wrote:Carlson might have flown to Russia to impotently bloviate with Moscow in the background, before slinking back home without anything to show for his plane fare.

I want to see him do that thing where he's pathetically pretending Putin is just off camera

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:02 pm

Mongrel wrote:When he was first spotted at the airport, the comments were mostly very dry barbs about how the sanctions had forced him to go pick up his paycheque in person. :D

He can hang out with Seagal

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:08 pm

Destynova wrote:
Mongrel wrote:When he was first spotted at the airport, the comments were mostly very dry barbs about how the sanctions had forced him to go pick up his paycheque in person. :D

He can hang out with Seagal

Will he get Lukashenko's big carrot too?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

Well Fucker did in fact get the interview. Nothing much to say about it, the usual Putin lies with nothing new.

Fucker's got to be pretty pleased with himself right now. We'll see how long that lasts, I guess.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:21 pm

I haven't seen it and I won't ever watch it, but I imagine the interview went something like this:

Tucker: Is Ukraine full of evil Nazis that must be exterminated before it is too late and also are the Mexicans rapist scum and invading America and ruining everything and also is Trump the one and only hope for America

Putin: da
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:08 pm

I'm not going to watch it either, but from the summaries I've read apparently it's mostly Putin going on long, rambling, inaccurate tangents about history.

For a guy who's responsible for generating a shit-ton of propaganda designed to sway public opinion in the US, Putin doesn't seem to have a working idea of how to do it himself. I'm sure his public will eat it up, but I don't think even Tucker Carlson's audience is going to be impressed by that shit.

Saw this meme and thought it was pretty good, though.

Cait

Postby Cait » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:08 pm

What I've heard, it's more the entire other way around, with Tucker just nodded along to Putin talking for an hour.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:15 pm

My bad, I assumed it was going to be an interview full of softballs and leading questions. I forgot that there is a level below that where the "interviewer" just platforms their guest for an hour to spew propaganda while they agree with them.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:27 pm

Yeah, that's generally how Putin's public statements go, so I'm not particularly surprised it was the same sort of fascist onion belt ramble.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:15 am

Commentary from some Russian sources indicates that the usual Kremlin internal conflicts led to Putin getting different prompts of how to handle the interview from different handler factions. Obviously he either wasn't assertive or cogent enough to recognize this and deliver anything focused on his own.
"The Kovalchuk clan sharply criticizes the idea of an interview with the American journalist Carlson. They say that the problem is the unpreparedness of the interview arrangement - it was Gromov's and Peskov's mistake. Putin should have talked about conservative values, the creation of a conservative alliance, and moving on - but he went into history and platitudes about Ukraine. Naryshkin, who allegedly planted ideas with documents of Bohdan Khmelnytskyi and nonsense with Poland, also played a negative role here. He set Putin up to the fullest. Medinsky would not allow such a thing."

According to reports, Putin didn't like Tucker Carlson - "a snob and a useful idiot who got a meaningful fee, but was lazy and lacked creativity."

Kovalchuk family believes they could have done better with Tucker Carlson, but "everything was wasted." There's a wave of complaints in the Kremlin.

"Meaningful fee", indeed.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:18 am

Mongrel wrote:Well, except

Classic wrote:Busting your chops here:

Thad wrote:I mean there was that time

Guys.

You're arguing with a psychotic break.

Stop.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:33 am

Alex Jones about to be liquidated

Looking very likely now that he's going to lose everything. Good.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:20 am

Mongrel wrote:Alex Jones about to be liquidated

just his estate, unfortunately
signature

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:42 am

"...in a blender" would be ideal