Transphobia: The Disturbing New Trend Sweeping Our Nations

Lottel

Re: Transphobia: The Disturbing New Trend Sweeping Our Nations

Postby Lottel » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:51 pm

Illinois has trans protections, legal weed, and a governor that makes all the of the trumpets mad.

If you live not in Chicagoland, you're looking at a low cost of living (and probably an hour drive through a cornfield to a bookstore).

Is it the best state? No. But it's an underestimated option.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:09 pm

There's gotta be some state on the eastern side of the US that isn't:

1. the south
2. florida
3. cold as fuck

Is it Illinois?
ImageImageImage

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:26 pm

I would say Maryland is pretty ok, as long as you avoid the West part of the state.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:27 pm

Friday wrote:There's gotta be some state on the eastern side of the US that isn't:

1. the south
2. florida
3. cold as fuck

Is it Illinois?

Illinois is deffo cold in winter. Not like, Minnesota cold, but still pretty crap.

Maybe like... Southern NJ or the Philly part of PA?

Baltimore/Washington get snow at times but have warm winters, buuuutt are also like living up the devil's asshole in the summer. Don't build cities on swamps, kids.

hngkong wrote:I would say Maryland is pretty ok, as long as you avoid the West part of the state.

Oh yeah, you reminded me that Delaware exists, duh.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:42 pm

Friday wrote:There's gotta be some state on the eastern side of the US that isn't:

1. the south
2. florida
3. cold as fuck

Is it Illinois?

Virginia may fit the bill. I can only confirm that the northern (DC-adjacent) parts aren't the south, but those definitely are still cold as fuck (read: get snow) in winter.

The last time I visited VA (for AGDQ 2017), I got the great experience of the weather going from a high of 36 on Monday to a low of 65 on Wednesday. Then I spent the rest of the week wishing I'd packed summer clothes... until a snowstorm on the day I flew back.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:49 pm

Having recently looked at moving to Delaware - southern Delaware is A) already having issues with ocean water - farms aren't able to grow plants as easily because the groundwater is too salty - and 2) starts to feel notably southern, sweet tea and more right-wingers. Northern Delaware is expensive to buy/rent a house, but then your overall tax rate is one of the lowest in the country because they get their taxes from every US company being incorporated in Delaware. My current thought (because I'm tired of paying $12,000 a year in property taxes to New York) is aiming for somewhere ~an hour (ideally via readily available public transit, like a commuter train) outside of Philly in Pennsylvania, but I have different criteria that are important for me.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:03 pm

Sadly VA is not listed as a safe state though.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:39 pm

The Mason-Dixon line that has traditionally defined "the south" is what separates Maryland and Pennsylvania. It ain't Alabama but Virginia is certainly Dixie enough.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:02 am

VA has gotten a lot more libbruhl in recent years because of how many beltway folks live there, so that misconception is understandable, but yeah, sometimes it still goes the other way.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:23 am

nosimpleway wrote:The Mason-Dixon line that has traditionally defined "the south" is what separates Maryland and Pennsylvania. It ain't Alabama but Virginia is certainly Dixie enough.

I could have sworn it was between Maryland and Virginia, what with the whole thing where West Virginia broke off to remain in The North

But anyway I was assuming Friday's "not the south" was more about current attitudes than historical geography
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:48 am

Upthorn wrote:
nosimpleway wrote:The Mason-Dixon line that has traditionally defined "the south" is what separates Maryland and Pennsylvania. It ain't Alabama but Virginia is certainly Dixie enough.

I could have sworn it was between Maryland and Virginia, what with the whole thing where West Virginia broke off to remain in The North

But anyway I was assuming Friday's "not the south" was more about current attitudes than historical geography

Maryland was infamously known as the only Union state with legal slavery (until the Emancipation Proclamation). There were also a number of anti-northern riots in Baltimore during the war and martial law was imposed in the state for most of the duration.

Basically, MD didn't exactly come quietly. They just... didn't actually secede.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:13 am

I know that the South isn't as red as most people think it is, where like some of the states are only going Trump 52-48. But while I did mean more "red states that do not have civil protections" I include the geographical south also.

Just because that while I love the heat, I'm not so down with humidity. And yes I know tropical is humid, but generally Hawaii has a pretty permanent breeze to counteract that.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:15 am

Yeah if it weren't for frequent storms (not to mention hurricanes), decent-sized ocean islands would generally have the best climates hands down. Ocean-moderated temps fucking rock.

At a guess, I'd say New Zealand is probably the largest landmass to fully benefit from ocean moderation?

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:22 am

New Zealand is my dream place to live. But notice in my first post I said "US" because good luck fucking immigrating.

I'd get the fuck out of the US if I could. Anywhere that isn't 3rd world and speaks English is fine. (Except the UK.) But I have absolutely no work skills that anyone wants unless the world suddenly has a lack of shitposters and professional list makers.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:59 am

Sometimes I'm reading a history article about some island that only ever mattered once to global history, like the Falklands or St. Helena or whatever and I'll go and look up the wiki for it and you always see the average annual temperature gradient like, right at the top and they always make me so jelly. Even the ones that trend colder, because even then it's like, well most of the year is jacket weather is all. Which is still completely awesome to me.

Like I get it. There's fuckall out there. You can forget having any relevant internet. If you get sick guessilldie.jpg. And again, you see as much storm activity as an actual ship at sea, because most of those places might as well be one. But still, those are sexy, sexy temperature gradients.

sei

Postby sei » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:23 am

Friday wrote:professional list maker

prompt engineer

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:28 am

How do you make a career out of being able to pick the hottest girl out of a group of girls within 10 seconds

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:11 am

nosimpleway wrote:How do you make a career out of being able to pick the hottest girl out of a group of girls within 10 seconds

Well, maybe if you simplify it to pairings and do some sort of aggregate ranking via analytics while keeping the front end as simple as possible, say, one image can be marked "hot" and the other "not", you could get a sleazy website out of it. Of course that sounds like an extremely unethical idea with horrible ramifications, like something an alien in a human suit would put together.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:58 am

nosimpleway wrote:How do you make a career out of being able to pick the hottest girl out of a group of girls within 10 seconds

pimp

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:47 pm

Are you asking for logistical reasons, or do you want to know where you can apply?