Official Betting Pool For the Political Violence of 2024

How much political violence will occur in the 2024 election?

1. None! I believe in America and the rule of law and republicans being good losers
No votes
2. None! Trump will be arrested before November and that will also go peacefully
No votes
3. None! Trump will win in 2024 and then the political violence will be in, like, 2030-2035 when President For Life Trump Declares Martial Law, California/Oregon/Washington form the NSF and Civil War 2 happens (Deus Ex timeline)
7%
4. Some scattered local stuff, a few deaths and injuries, mostly just a repeat of 2020 but minus the coup
29%
5. The coup will happen again, but worse
14%
6. The coup will happen again, but way, way, way worse
No votes
7. 6, but also more local stuff where like militias attack and take over state government buildings
14%
8. man i really want to pick 4 because that seems most likely but i'm really really terrified of 6 and 7
36%

Total votes: 14
Friday

Official Betting Pool For the Political Violence of 2024

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:19 am

Get your money in now
ImageImageImage

Upthorn

Re: Official Betting Pool For the Political Violence of 2024

Postby Upthorn » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:35 am

I'm in between 4 and 5.
Mostly a repeat of 2020. Maybe a little worse. Probably a couple Ammon Bundy type events

I just, I feel like stuff so far has been too directionless and uncoordinated to actually accomplish anything? So it's hard to know going forward how competently any given event will be executed...
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 am

My pick is number four. For the tough game a lot of these idiots like to talk, very few of them are actually willing to go to jail or die for the cause. They'd rather other people do that.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:06 am

Yeah, I think there's room for another level of violence between 4 and 5.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:50 am

So the problem I have with picking 4 or 8, personally, is that it smacks of exactly what I was doing in 2016 and 2020: minimizing. Practicing Normalcy bias.

Seriously, go back and ask 2016 Friday if Trump can win. "No way."

Go back and ask 2020 Friday if Trump would incite a coup attempt and have his followers storm the capital. "No. That would be political suicide and he would go to jail. Instead we'll only have some scattered local stuff, everyone be careful."

So now here I am, in 2024, and I ask myself "Will the coup happen again, but worse, when he loses?" And my knee-jerk is to go "No way."

Shrug. Only 10 months to go. I have no predictions. I only know that both times previous, I, the world's biggest cynic and harshest critic of human nature, has not been negative enough.

Yeah, I think there's room for another level of violence between 4 and 5.

While possible, I think 5 is where my money is going. Fuck it. If I turn out to be wrong and it's only 4 or your proposed 4.5, at least I can be happy about being wrong instead of unhappy about being wrong like I was four and eight years ago.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:18 pm

Friday wrote:So the problem I have with picking 4 or 8, personally, is that it smacks of exactly what I was doing in 2016 and 2020: minimizing. Practicing Normalcy bias.

Yeah, but assuming the opposite just to avoid normalcy bias is just a different kind of bias.

Metal Slime wrote:My pick is number four. For the tough game a lot of these idiots like to talk, very few of them are actually willing to go to jail or die for the cause. They'd rather other people do that.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that 2021's failure and several hundred motherfuckers going to prison for it (including most of the leadership of the terrorist orgs that planned it) makes another attempt more likely.

Plus, y'know, Biden is still going to be president. Somehow I don't think his response to an attack on the Capitol will be to sit and watch it on Fox News and refuse to send out the National Guard.

So I guess it depends on how you define "worse". I think another attack on the Capitol results in a whole lot more motherfuckers getting shot by cops. Or military.

So, y'know, if you're somebody in DC or the surrounding area planning on how to prepare for January 6, you should absolutely assume an attack is going to happen, and be bigger than the last one, and prepare for it. Take that shit seriously in a way the authorities didn't last time.

But that preparation, itself, makes an attack less likely. In the same way that taking the possibility of Trump getting elected seriously makes him less likely to be elected.

And how does somebody get a permit to hold a rally in the mall on January 6, anyway? I have to figure there are other groups out there looking to get whatever slots are available just to stop Trump from doing it.

I think there's certainly going to be violence. I don't think it's going to be as big or as organized as it was in 2021. I am worried about what some of the more unhinged members of Congress might do.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:16 pm

Thad wrote:And how does somebody get a permit to hold a rally in the mall on January 6, anyway? I have to figure there are other groups out there looking to get whatever slots are available just to stop Trump from doing it.

I'm even less likely to know that you are, but I bet any such requests are going to be scrutinized EXTRA-closely by whichever federal or DC authority has that responsibility.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:52 am

I don't like to make predictions, but I feel like SOME kind of violence is a given in a country where it's far and away easier to get a gun instead of healthcare.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:40 pm

I'm going for 'Darkseid is rescued by his slaves'. Either that or The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:48 pm

I'll also add that there's kind of this perpetual tendency for people to worry about the wrong things. I had a guy yesterday saying "But what if the Supreme Court rules that the president is immune to all prosecution?" Then Biden has the conservative majority murdered because that's legal now; problem solved. Fucking be serious.

The risk of Trump's immunity claim isn't that SCOTUS is going to take it seriously. It's that he drags out the prosecution against him past the election, gets back into office, and pulls an Andrew Jackson "the Court has made their ruling; let's see them enforce it" and does whatever he wants regardless of what the courts or anybody else say.

In 2020, I kept running across people insisting that Trump was going to cancel the election. Which shows a staggering lack of understanding on how elections actually work.

We don't have a presidential election in November. We have 51 of them. You can't stop 51 elections. But you can meddle with the count in a few key states and try to subvert the certification.

Similarly, there was a lot of "What if Trump won't leave?" talk in 2020, which was nearer the mark but people mostly seemed to be picturing him refusing to vacate the White House on January 20, rather than staging an attack on Congress on January 6.

I foresaw some of what was coming -- lawsuits, attempts to alter the count in swing states, fake electors, objections to the count, encouraging his supporters to violence -- but a direct attack on the Capitol wasn't something I saw coming. Most people didn't.

I think whatever happens after this election, from November to January and beyond, isn't going to look like anything we're predicting in a poll on a messageboard founded by a guy who was Internet-famous for snarking about old Nintendo games.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:46 am

Image comes from a thread/poll I made in 2019.

So, 5 was correct, even down to the definition of "without massive civil unrest and/or the application of violence." 7 was technically correct, but was sort of a cop out answer. As many people voted 8 as voted the correct answer, 5.

So while I take your very correct point that we probably won't be able to accurately predict what's going to happen, that doesn't mean that we can't, you know, somewhat or semi-predict it.

I'm still voting 5 in the current poll. And I will be absolutely thrilled to be wrong.

Yeah, but assuming the opposite just to avoid normalcy bias is just a different kind of bias.

Point taken, but if no matter what I'm under some sort of bias, then I'd rather no longer be under the one that Trump keeps going against. It's tempting for me to assume the worst, because I am cynical as fuck, but Trump has a proven track record of not being at all normal. So I feel like assuming something not-normal is going to happen is rational. Of course, I'm sure you agree entirely (you're not an idiot), but where we differ is the degree of "not-normal."
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:44 pm

Friday wrote:So, 5 was correct, even down to the definition of "without massive civil unrest and/or the application of violence."

It's correct because it's vague. The most specific thing it mentions is claiming illegal votes, which was a gimme because he'd already been doing it for three years for an election he'd won.

"Application of violence" is accurate but, again, nonspecific enough that there's a whole galaxy of things that could have happened and fit that description, from another alt-righter shooting up another church (likely) to Trump nuking California (somewhat less likely).

...also, the poll is specifically about what happens in 2024 if Trump is reelected in 2020.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:05 pm

Thad wrote:...also, the poll is specifically about what happens in 2024 if Trump is reelected in 2020.

Pretty sure the current thread is only about 2024 (and I guess 2025)?

Unless you mean Friday's older thread, but that one was also clearly asking What happens if/when Trump loses in 2016? it specifically mentions conceding to Biden.