Obituaries

Thad

Re: Obituaries

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Bill Thompson. I don't know if that name means anything to anybody else here -- he was Wallace on The Wallace and Ladmo Show, an Arizona kids' show of the oldschool variety (think Bozo the Clown, Beany and Cecil, etc.) that ran from 1954 to 1989.

I met him a couple times. As nice a guy as you'd hope.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Robin Williams.

Various outlets are reporting it was a suicide. That's unconfirmed but the reference to depression in the above press release gives it some credence.

Damn. Hell of a thing.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Oh no. Oh no.

Robin Williams... and it looks like suicide.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:22 pm

This year man. It's like half my childhood is dying.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:53 pm

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. Just in case anybody ever needs it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Man... definitely not something I was expecting to read anytime soon. :(

We just watched Hook again here a little while ago. :(

sei

Postby sei » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Thad wrote:Robin Williams.

Various outlets are reporting it was a suicide. That's unconfirmed but the reference to depression in the above press release gives it some credence.

grape. orange of a thing.

Damn it.

Was a big fan.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:23 pm

So here is a sequence of words that has never been combined in this order before and will never be combined in this order again:

President of the United States uses the word "bangarang" in eulogy.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:50 am

Thad wrote:Robin Williams.

Damn. Hell of a thing.

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum.

Curtains.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Want to make yourself even sadder?

How Koko the gorilla reacted to the news.

Fucking really. Not a joke. Koko is sad about Robin Williams too.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Man, apparently he was a Warhammer player and actually owned an Eldar army. One of my friends said he actually saw him come out to a local store to play in an event once (no pics, but there are a few photos of him posing with fans in stores if you google image search "Robin Williams Warhammer"). Huh.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:18 pm

He named his daughter after Princess Zelda. Dude's as close to one of us as any real celebrity could be (yes, in present tense).

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah, apparently Warren Ellis was just tweeting about how he was a Transmet fan.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Slight correction: it appears that she hasn't deleted her account, but she's abandoning it for the time being.

Remember that study indicating trolls are sociopaths?

I still think the study was kinda bullshit, but obviously SOME of them are.

I quite like this bit from Scott Weinberg:
I hope @zeldawilliams knows that the people who love her outnumber the scumbags by about 94,000,000 to 1.

(For a brief moment I confused him with Scott Weinger, who played Aladdin, but no, different dude. Film critic.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:24 pm

On Robin Williams and improvisation, via ME.

I've heard from others who worked on that series that Mr. Williams' tendency to ad-lib the script has been greatly exaggerated; that while Robin did improvise material at times, what was also happening there was this: The scripts were constantly rewritten throughout the week of rehearsals and Robin, who had a great memory, would often throw in lines from earlier drafts…or alternate lines the writers had pitched to him.

[...]

At the Comedy Store, I saw other comics dazzled by Robin Williams. That was the setting in which he was most likely to ad-lib and just blurt out any silly concept that appeared in his head at that moment…and he did, often. But you could also see him mentally juggling — and in real time — bits and lines he'd uttered before, fitting them in wherever they fit in. In a way, it was like a great magician making you look at his right hand so you wouldn't spot what his left was doing. Robin's speed was often his misdirection and it impressed the hell out of his peers. It also pissed off a few of them when lines he was recalling and using were not being recalled from his own repertoire but from theirs.

He admitted in several interviews that he'd done that…said something on stage and then realized later (or been told) it was something he'd heard, not something he'd invented. Some in the business forgave it.

It's worth reading the whole thing. Joke-stealing is one of those things that is, rightly, frowned upon, but it can also be done by accident. (There's a bit in an old Sonic the Hedgehog fanfic I wrote as a kid that, I realized later, I had cribbed from the scene in Life, the Universe and Everything where Arthur is fleeing Agrajag's collapsing mountain; I also once mistakenly believed I had spontaneously come up with Red's "pressure and time" metaphor from Shawshank Redemption.) I remember linking a solid piece by Patton Oswalt where he gripes about people stealing other comics' material but acknowledges he's done it himself without meaning to.

Aladdin was the first cartoon I ever saw that made me think, "They must have done the animation after they recorded the dialogue," because I was old enough to realize that Williams was clearly not sticking to the script.

I also had this storybook when I was a kid (actually, I still have the book, though some mendicant borrowed the tape that went with it and never returned it):

Needless to say, Williams's narration is not an exact match for the words on the page.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Williams had early-stage Parkinson's, which can exacerbate anxiety and depression.

His wife's statement:

Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin’s sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson’s Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Remembrances of Robin from a great comic whose name I'm not going to put on this line because I don't want people skimming the obit thread to see his name and panic (which is the same reason I keep referring to ME as "ME" when I link to obits he writes). But here, let's put it at the top of a quote box:

Lewis Black wrote:The first thing was: I got on a plane with him, and he was reading a book which was a history of Iraq. He sat there and talked about it for 35 minutes, going through the history of Iraq with us. That’s astonishing. I thought, this guy is kind of brilliant. He was a really bright guy who may have had a photographic memory.

[...]

There were jokes of his that made me laugh hard, but it was the going from one thing to another, making those connections. It’s like how you watch an improv group take suggestions. It was like Robin had the most brilliant audience inside his head throwing out suggestions, because he would put combinations together that were just crazy. And how he could work out of the moment. That working out of the moment is a gift, but he did it on another level.