Science!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Science!

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:00 am

Yeah, there's a full lane on the left there, with no other cars. If the LIDAR can't detect a pedestrian in a wide open space like that, that's a pretty big problem.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:31 pm

A little update on the driverless cars stuff.

Apparently in California, several companies currently testing driverless cars are experimenting with having a centre full of humans who can take control of cars via remote control in "difficult" situations.

As of yet, none of them have decided how many cars a given user will be watching (and by extension, the State of California has no data to base potential regulation of such a system on). The only existing comparison is that of air-traffic controllers, who are responsible for coordinating the movements of up to 15 airplanes. However, these planes all have human pilots and those pilots are by law expected to overrule an air-traffic controller if they believe the directions they've been given will endanger the aircraft. Driverless cars will obviously have no such analogue.

Without strict legislation, I would also expect johnnycab robocab companies to come under extreme pressure to get the ratio as high as they think is feasible, given that the whole point of driverless cars is to eliminate labour costs as much as possible and the fact that they are all locked in desperate competition.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:23 am

It's still what I would call early goings yet, but this is far enough along to share: Stanford research team testing legit multi-type cancer cure, with the capacity to even turn around metastasized cancers (it works across different types of cancers because it involves reprogramming your immune system).

Would be ridiculously massive if true - the Universal Cure For Cancer of medical legend. Keep an eye on this I suppose.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:52 pm

So, I'm hearing that there's not just one black hole in the center of our galaxy, but rather around 10,000.

Yeah, that's not gonna give me nightmares.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Would they not just merge to form a single black hole?

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:27 am

I didn't read the article but they'd probably orbit each other for a long fucking time first.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 am

Caithness wrote:Would they not just merge to form a single black hole?

That is basically the point of the article. There's no conclusion just "we figured all the black holes would smash together but it looks like they haven't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ science."

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 am

A black hole doesn't "pull" things any more than a planet of the same weight would. The difference is 1) they're usually considerably heavier than planets and 2) there's no ground to hit so you just keep falling.

But it's perfectly possible to, for example, orbit a black hole and even leave that orbit if it's not inside the event horizon. It's possible for a black hole to orbit another black hole.

It's even possible for one black hole to slingshot-fling another one at high speed.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 am

Do we have any idea what happens when event horizons touch? I'm guessing it's a moderately energetic event.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 am

mharr wrote:event horizons touch

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:57 pm

mharr wrote:Do we have any idea what happens when event horizons touch? I'm guessing it's a moderately energetic event.

C̶̲̠̟̙̦̹͍u͇̳̞̲͟b̶̜͙͔̠̣e̬̬̕⁵̪̜: Ú̷̗̼̪̞̞̮͜L̶̖̲̟͓̖̝̩̖̫̕Ţ̥͕̱̗̞̟̥̥̩̠͔̦̬́̀R̶̼͈͎̜̲̱̠͔͖̬̩̤̜̤̪͜͞A̶̧͍͓̳̙̥̕͢͡ͅC̶̱̖͕͖̤̹̪̭̱Ų͘҉̱̭̥̰̫͈͙͖̫̞͈̗͎̭͎̦̖̲́ͅB̸̢̧̻͔̬̫̬̀͡E͜͠͏̷̢̱̖̟̱͉̤͎͓͙̺̰̱̯̩͔̻͙ͅ

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 pm

The whole point of a black hole is that no matter or energy can escape. Two black holes means twice as much matter and energy doesn't escape. So a collision of two black holes is completely silent, except for gravitational waves that don't behave like matter or energy, which is how they proved they exist in the first place.

The first time I wrote this post it had sources linked. As it is something something Hawking radiation? idk man I'm a cook not an astrophysicist

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Yeah Hawking radation is the one thing that does technically escape besides gravitation.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:42 pm

mharr wrote:Do we have any idea what happens when event horizons touch? I'm guessing it's a moderately energetic event.

ok, one correction to my earlier statement: Black holes that are very close to each other (at least ten times Pluto's orbit or less) radiate a lot of energy in the form of gravitational waves, and so their orbit decays.

now i'm gonna do something else because studying this sort of stuff gives me anxiety

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm

Apparently, my hunch was right: Phenylephrine doesn't do squat as a decongestant and should be kicked to the curb.

Mongrel wrote:

That's the comet that little probe landed on? I've heard it said that the surface is actually black as coal, but just looks that much lighter compared to the darkness of space.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue May 01, 2018 3:22 pm

The world's oldest spider died at the ripe old age of 43. She is survived by a shitload of grandchildren.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Yoji wrote:The world's oldest spider died at the ripe old age of 43. She is survived by a shitload of grandchildren.

Number 16

"I am not a number! I am a free spider!"