QUILTBAG

Thad

Re: QUILTBAG

Postby Thad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Gay men can now donate blood...if they've been abstinent for the past year.

That's apparently a common practice, and it's better than a full ban, but it sure sounds excessive. The amount of time it takes before an HIV infection shows up in a blood test is days, not months.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:59 pm

By Red Cross math, a dick in the butt is worth two tattoos.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:35 am

Bernie Sanders, as a member of congress, stands up for homosexuals in this 1995 C-SPAN clip. In the video, Duke Cunningham derisively refers to "homos in the military" and Rep. Sanders can't believe his ears. The exchanged occurred, bizarrely, while discussing the Clean Water Act at a time when "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was the law of the land.

Quite tempted to quote Sam Bee's "Funny story: he's in jail now" line from this week's Full Frontal, but technically it's not true; the Duke-stir completed his prison sentence in 2013.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:07 am

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Second-Wachowski-filmmaker-sibling-comes-out-as-trans-/54509.html wrote:The second sibling of the filmmaking duo known as The Wachowskis has come out as transgender.

Lilly Wachowski, 48, sibling of Lana, 50, came out in a statement to Windy City Times, after being threatened with outing by other media.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:32 am

Wait... so both of them?

Huh.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:02 pm

Lots of thoughts. Starting with "Good for her!" and "Man, FUCK the Daily Mail."

Others include "You know, this provides some potentially interesting fodder for both the nature and nurture sides of the debate," and "Man, the Sad Puppies must be really conflicted about the Wachowskis at this point."

(Course, I think the Sad Puppies probably selectively forget just how gay V for Vendetta was.)

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:00 pm

I just wish she was given a choice when/whether to come out, and didn't have to do it because a news agency threatened to expose her.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Right, that's what I meant by "Fuck the Daily Mail." But it bears repeating! Fuck those fucking fucks.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 am

I'm just wondering how the "red pill" pick-up artist douchebags feel about their flag-bearing movie being written and directed by two women.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:26 pm

I hate to be a dick but you know the answer to that question man. The answer is they don't think it was written by two women. You've seen comment sections in Trans articles enough to know that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Is there a theory that somebody else wrote The Matrix, or are they merely suggesting that the Wachowskis aren't really women?

Because even assuming the latter argument, I think it's pretty clear that they're not the kind of manly-men ALPHAS who the PUA try and claim to represent.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Yes, true.

Still that's never stopped people from using someone's art to represent things they would never stand for.

From the countless artists who've had to publicly state they don't represent the people using their music (RATM, Heart, etc.), to people using art in ways that implies it means exactly the opposite of what it means (Fortunate Son, Barracuda, etc.) its basically never stopped anyone from using a song/movie/book/quote to mean whatever the fuck they want it to, hell and be damned what the person who actually made it stood for.

Of course this also applies when people forgive things like Card being a huge fucking bigot because one of his books spoke to them at the right time during middle school.

And hey, at the end of the day I was just implying that MRAs are also the type of people who'd deny that trans people are actually women.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:30 am

Well, but the irony's not usually quite this strong. I can dig Ender's Game and think Card is a wretched human being; there's no contradiction there.

While there's nothing wrong with liking The Matrix and not liking the Wachowskis, there's something fundamentally ironic about interpreting their work as some kind of macho manly-man we-need-to-stop-women-from-running-the-world allegory.

(Though not as ironic as anti-LGBT people rallying around V for Vendetta, which, as I mentioned a few posts up, is overtly pro-gay in a way that The Matrix isn't.)

I'll grant the irony of using Fortunate Son in a patriotic commercial and cutting it off right before the word "but". That's more the kind of thing we're talking about, I think. Except that that's a case of an advertiser licensing a popular song from the rightsholders (which do not include the person who actually wrote it), and this is a case of self-described fans willfully misinterpreting the thing they are fans of.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Shaun King, New York Daily News: I’m boycotting North Carolina until the ‘most anti-LGBT bill in the country’ is repealed

In one fell swoop, North Carolina politicians held a special session on Wednesday in which they created, passed and signed into law a wide-ranging bill that invalidates a host of legal protections for LGBT individuals statewide.

Some are calling it the “most anti-LGBT bill in the country.”

Understanding that a protracted public debate on the bill would likely create a PR nightmare, elected officials in North Carolina crammed the entire process into a single day — presumably with the belief that it would save them from a fate like that of Georgia, where companies including Disney and the NFL are now threatening consequences if the governor signs a similar bill into law.

It won’t.

Whereas Georgia Governor Nathan Deal still has the power to veto the bill or send it back to the state house for important revisions, North Carolina has made a tremendous miscalculation in rushing it through in one day.

It’s likely corporations will begin announcing statewide boycotts as early as this afternoon as word begins to trickle out about what North Carolina has done.

[...]

In other words, North Carolina now has no legal protections whatsoever to prohibit businesses from refusing to serve whoever they want to refuse — including LGBT individuals. Any privately owned business is now allowed to refuse service to someone because they are gay.

This is pretty much the reason I don't believe the Republicans are going to be able to retake the White House in the foreseeable future: because as much time as the leadership spends trying to make the party appear more inclusive, the rank-and-file will have none of that shit and keep reminding voters that no, the Republican Party is the party of bigotry.

Trump, of course, is Exhibit A, but even if things had gone differently and a more minority-friendly candidate like Bush had gotten the nomination, things like this would keep happening, over and over, from now until November and beyond. Republicans just can't stop reminding people of what they are.

And of course they can't help but overreach. If they'd kept it to that asinine "no boys in the girls' bathroom" argument that this law was ostensibly about, I think they probably would have had mainstream support, because that's the kind of discrimination that (unfortunately) is still pretty uncontroversial among most of the public.

BUT stripping away equal protection from gay people is no longer a mainstream position. When most people hear about that, they're not going to like it.

And I think even more people are going to turn against it as the state starts to lose money to boycotts and the inevitable Supreme Court challenge.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Georgia Governor Nathan Deal has vetoed the "religious liberty" bill.

Thanks, Governor Deal; you did the right thing.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:54 am

Aaaand North Carolina is being sued by the ACLU.

And North Carolina's AG, Roy Cooper, is refusing to defend the law.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Thad wrote:This is pretty much the reason I don't believe the Republicans are going to be able to retake the White House in the foreseeable future: because as much time as the leadership spends trying to make the party appear more inclusive, the rank-and-file will have none of that shit and keep reminding voters that no, the Republican Party is the party of bigotry.

DRUMPF, of course, is Exhibit A, but even if things had gone differently and a more minority-friendly candidate like Bush had gotten the nomination, things like this would keep happening, over and over, from now until November and beyond. Republicans just can't stop reminding people of what they are.
To quote Maya Angelou, When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

And this is all after the 2012 Election Autopsy, where I'm told they put their heads together and said "We should really stop demonizing everyone who isn't pale, stale, and male. And if we do anyway, let's at least try and be friendlier about it." At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the foreign policy portion of the 2024 GOP debates will consist entirely of the candidates taking turns pissing on a refugee's head, and not even saying anything besides pointing and laughing.

I heard they spent $42k to hold an emergency session to pass the bill, and now it seems they'll spend $42 million defending it. Fishcal conservamuhtizm!
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Is there a full list of the economic blowback yet? I know The Boss cancelled a show, and Paypal nixed an expansion, but a full list of how badly NC is screwing their actual bottom line over this shit would just make me so happy.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Via Esquire from a couple weeks ago: Ringo Starr, Bryan Adams, Deutsche Bank, PayPal, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Moore, xHamster, Joel McHale, General Electric, the Dow Chemical Company, Pepsi, Hyatt, Hewlett Packard, Choice Hotels International, Whole Foods, Levis Strauss & Co., Lionsgate

XHamster in particular deserves a special mention for their service and heroism in the Culture Wars.

EDIT:
Wonkette wrote:MOAR CANCELLATIONS: Guess who is not bringing his (allegedly) fine dick to North Carolina now? That’s right, Nick Jonas, formerly of the Jonas Brothers and now all growed up! He is on tour with Demi Lovato right now, and they agree that anti-LGBT hate laws can eff right off, so they canceled their shows in Raleigh and Charlotte. AND this conference in Asheville put on by a nonprofit run by Kellogg’s is canceled too. AND an architects’ conference in Wilmington. AND Pearl Jam and Cirque du Soleil and all these folks right here.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts