QUILTBAG

ocksi

Re: QUILTBAG

Postby ocksi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm

I would like to clarify that my original post was in response to Frank's post(s) regarding responding to opponents (and response to actual messages of hate), and not the larger discussion at hand. I probably should have used quotation tags to make that more clear.

Stush

Postby Stush » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Whedon's response was probably a little too flippant, And it honestly does offend me a little, but it doesn't seem to be something done maliciously! It's just unfortunate that people don't really think about the meanings of what they're writing enough before they post it.

It can be really hard to write an awesome, tough lady character, But there are a lot of really good examples to follow from! Ellen Ripley is an awesome character who deserves to be referenced more!

I want to write cool female characters someday, and I want more people to do it too! I want to see more shooter games where i'm controlling a badass lady and driving a tank through someone's house and stealing their fridge.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I think one of the costumes for The Prince in Katamari Damacy makes him The Princess. You steal someone's fridge in there, does that count.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Stush wrote:I want to see more shooter games where i'm controlling a badass lady and driving a tank through someone's house and stealing their fridge.

What game is this and is it available on PC? Because that sounds amazing.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:48 pm

Someone out there is taking notes for Chocolate Lollipop Chainsaw: The Twoening.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 pm

I think partly I get annoyed because when I write, by far I enjoy writing in the first person. I like doing stories where the reader has to sift through a narrator's lens to get the "real" story and I love the challenge of trying to write with different voices and as different people, to put myself in their shoes. That is vastly more appealing to me than third person or whatever.

Thad pretty much hit it dead on when he said "Talk to some women" and I really wish that's what Whedon had said, because that would have been a genuinely good reminder that "women" are not ancient Sumerian kings or space aliens or whatever. They're quite ordinary. Go talk to people and judge for yourself what's different or the same. Learn about different people's opinions and feelings. You might even find they're interesting in and of themselves!

Sure, there are some socially-awkward types who have trouble talking to people, but that's it's own separate problem and a minority of situations.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:06 pm

I've been saying for a while that the internet has seen a social regression to the lynch mob.

The article gets rather overwrought in places (which hurts more because she's actually got a pretty clear writing style when she doesn't get carried way) and is a bit over-long, but it's still an excellently-written piece and well worth sharing.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Choice quote from there:

QUINNAE MOONGAZER, Words, Words, Words: On Toxicity and Abuse in Online Activism wrote:But I am lying when I say [abusive 4channers] are the sole source of my hesitation.

The rest, often as not even the lion’s share, comes from fear of something with the power to cut even deeper– my own community. I fear being cast suddenly as one of the “bad guys” for being insufficiently radical, too nuanced or too forgiving, or for simply writing something whose offensive dimensions would be unknown to me at the time of publication. In other words, for making an innocently ignorant mistake.

QUINNAE MOONGAZER, Words, Words, Words: On Toxicity and Abuse in Online Activism" wrote:I deliberately left enough spaces for readers to assume that I was speaking about white cis middle class feminism, the dreaded “mainstream” variety that it was more acceptable to criticise.

Not sure I get this part. "Mainstream" feminism is okay (within the far left) to criticize, but radfem and/or race-specific fem not okay to criticize?

François

Postby François » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:09 pm

As I understand it, apparently you can get away with saying stuff about straight white Christian cis women feminists that you couldn't get away with saying about, say, gay black Muslim trans women feminists. I guess it's because the former have straight privilege, white privilege, mainstream religious privilege and cis privilege and are therefore seen as fair(er) game, where the latter have none of those.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Pretty much. It is, ironically, basically a dick-measuring contest. A person's opinion has more value the more boxes they check off, and someone with fewer points can't disagree with them without it being oppression. Or even agree with them - look at all the hatred Macklemore's getting from the Tumblr community for having the audacity to write a pro-gay-rights song.

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:34 pm

I thought the annoyance at Wacklemore was that he's been doing something other rappers have been doing for years, but has apparently gotten picked up by the mainstream for other, not-art related "aesthetic reasons"*.

But I'm not sure how a guy with such a self-deprecating handle can be the victim of so much ire either.

EDIT:
*Because he's white.

François

Postby François » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:11 pm

TA wrote:A person's opinion has more value the more boxes they check off, and someone with fewer points can't disagree with them without it being oppression.

That's the sort of thing I'm genuinely tempted to call minority privilege but that would probably get me shat on by the irony-blind masses.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:44 pm

I believe the cynical term is "oppression olympics".

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm under geas to throttle whomever makes me read or hear those words. Sorry Buge.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Classic wrote:I thought the annoyance at Wacklemore was that he's been doing something other rappers have been doing for years, but has apparently gotten picked up by the mainstream for other, not-art related "aesthetic reasons"*.

But I'm not sure how a guy with such a self-deprecating handle can be the victim of so much ire either.

EDIT:
*Because he's white.

Well, that, and the fact that he spends the first verse of his supposedly pro-gay song making sure everyone knows just how straight he is, and the second verse glossing over all of the actual queer rappers out there(including Le1f, whose song 'Wut' Macklemore & Lewis allegedly ripped off with Thrift Shop) so he can score points against the "homophobic" hip-hop community(seriously, when your argument is "look at these YouTube comments!", you're on pretty shaky ground), his attempts to cling to indie status while inking endorsement deals with Microsoft and Dr. Pepper, and the fact that he seems to have no trouble using gay people as props.

I will grant him this, though: he(or perhaps Ryan Lewis) is hella good at marketing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:20 pm

This is sort of funny to me, because I hadn't been paying any attention to it at all, so I only heard anything though unintentional workplace eavesdropping. That broken telephone game had me thinking that the reason Macklemore was in the news was because he was actually gay and had just come out of the closet.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 pm

TedBelmont wrote:the fact that he seems to have no trouble using gay people as props.

So things haven't changed since Madonna appropriated vogueing?

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:08 pm

The Disney channel did a neat thing on one of their shows recently!

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

That was the extent to which it was a thing, as far as jokes or whatnot. Perfectly ordinary parents that happen to be two women. Very respectful.

Needless to say, the usual contingents did not react well.