Our Boys In Blue

Mongrel

Re: Our Boys In Blue

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm torn between "Wow that cop actually did the right thing!" and "WHITE OR NOT, HOW IN THE FUCK IS THAT GUY NOT DEAD?!"

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:18 pm

I'd have at least taken a night stick to that guy. Jesus christ.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Yeah, I mean, it's good that the cop didn't need to shoot him in the end, but I wouldn't have actually blamed the cop if he shot this guy.

He tried to carjack the cruiser for fuck's sakes. How do you not get shot after that?

malikial

Postby malikial » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Well I mean, be white. Answer is in the post

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm

A very small bit of good news. Out in Salt Lake City, the chief of police fired the cop who roughed up the nurse - and demoted the supervisor who told him to do it.

I mean, the guy'll probably be working as a cop again in six months, but this is still good.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 pm

He also demoted a veteran sergeant down to patrol cop. Like that's literally a 'fuck your pension you should quit' demotion.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 pm

This only happened because she was a white woman.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm

By the cop's lawyer's own admission it only happened because of its publicity.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 am

Pacific Standard: A new study uses a statistical technique from wildlife ecology to estimate the number of people killed by cops. It turns out every database is undercounting them.

How many people are killed by police every year in the United States? It depends on whom you ask.

The federal government tries to track this subset of the population with databases like the National Vital Statistics System, which is based on death certificates. As public attention on police violence has increased in recent years, media organizations began making databases of their own—like the Guardian's The Counted or the Washington Post's Fatal Force—to track law enforcement-related deaths. Comparisons between the data sets suggested that the official government data was severely undercounting police-related deaths. However, no one really knew how accurate those media databases were either.

Now, in a new study published today in PLoS Medicine, researchers borrowed techniques from wildlife ecology to estimate how many people are really killed by police officers in the U.S. They found that, while the media database The Counted documented roughly twice as many cases of police-related deaths than the NVSS, it still missed up to 7 percent of cases.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 am

What in the actual fuck

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Sometimes I really do wonder if I really should just stop seeking and linking all this bad news and wallow in happy ignorance.

It wouldn't help, I suppose.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Good golly, why can't people trust the police to stop Nazis?

DC Weekly: White Nationalist who Fantasized, Plotted Murder of Minorities Discovered to be Chief Deputy of Palm Beach PD

“Jokingly I said he was a suspected Storm Front member and I told him about the conversation I had with John Doe, and showed him the printed list of correspondence between “Krieger” and John Doe. Chief Deputy Gauger became extremely nervous, his mouth went dry and his completion became pale. I could see his jugular vein pulsing hard, like a person under enormous stress. He looked at me, ripped up the paper, and told me that I would not be filing a report on this incident. I was informed by Chief Deputy Gauger if I should report this incident or attempt to take any action, my career would be over and he would find a reason to put me in prison. “

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 pm

This story is weird. Only seeing it pop up on two other super sensationalist sites. Not sure if it's true.

But, definitely seems like the sort of thing that could be.

Hardly Ideal

Postby Hardly Ideal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:00 am

Mongrel wrote:Sometimes I really do wonder if I really should just stop seeking and linking all this bad news and wallow in happy ignorance.

It wouldn't help, I suppose.

I guess my worry is how long one can remain happily oblivious before reality can't be ignored anymore.

Like, I have a cousin who I'm relatively certain voted for Trump, if she voted at all. She's the type who goes "whoa, I don't keep up with all that shit, they're all liars," but she still maintains some dumb opinions that more often than not come from Facebook. I just wonder how long she, a bit of a pothead, will be able to not keep up with all that shit if Jeff "Reefer Madness" Sessions has his way with marijuana enforcement.

I mean, there's not much we can do whether we're aware of things or not, but there's some comfort in knowing. If we're going to end up living in The Man in the High Castle or what have you, I think I'd rather see it coming than just look up one day and see it all happening.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:24 am

Mothra wrote:This story is weird. Only seeing it pop up on two other super sensationalist sites. Not sure if it's true.

But, definitely seems like the sort of thing that could be.

Yeah, that crossed my mind too. I figure it's sensational enough that it'll hopefully get picked up now by larger sources so we'll see soon if it's real or bogus.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Were the witnesses sure they weren't just watching a Mel Brooks movie?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:38 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Jesus Christ.

Fucking Baltimore.

I'd say it should be burnt to the ground, but the residents have been working on that already for a few decades now.