Our Collapsing Civilization

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Our Collapsing Civilization

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:32 pm

I think it's sort of interesting that for most of human history, the idea of will and other emotions directly affecting your life was taken as pretty much a medical fact (insofar as medical "science" existed). For most of a century, after medical science exploded and actually became useful (i.e. from about the Victorian period on), science never quite denied that, but shoved it down as far as it could to ignore it. It came out in things like the placebo effect, or emotional reactions as a stressor, or in other odd places, but the conception of the body as a machine really took over and dominated. Ideas that an otherwise healthy person might simply die because they had lost the will to live weren't entire dismissed, but doctors would sort of laugh nervously and say something like "Well, I'm sure there were psychological factors, but..." and look for a more mundane cause.

Now, in the last generation, the science is sort of coming back full circle to older ideas about the huge role of willpower and other mental/emotional factors in our lives, stuff that directly affects our lifespans and health. Because the brain is still so poorly understood, the scientific community is still struggling at times to say exactly what impacts those factors have, but the fact that they do, that they're massively important, and there's nothing 'magical' or unscientific about them, is pretty much accepted again.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I think modern medicine would use the term "stress-related disease" to describe this without feeling any need to qualify it. They're not talking about anything different, it's just defined in terms of the effect rather than the cause.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Is is Seasonal Affective Disorder due to living at hight latitudes, or is it more of a genetic predisposition that affects people even if they live in another country?

Classic

Postby Classic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:17 pm

For a minute there, I thought you were a spamboat.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Russians don't live at particularly high latitudes though.

SAD is a known psycho-cultural thing among Scandinavians. Obviously they have older, less-scientific names for it - for instance, I know the Norwegians refer to the long winter dark that causes trouble as "Morketiden" (literally "Murky Time"), for whatever that's worth.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:32 am

Two NYPD officers shot dead by a "revenge"-seeking loon, shooter kills himself.

Dude was on a rampage that started with him killing his girlfriend in Baltimore, then going to to NY with the specific aim of murdering NYPD officers, supposedly out of rage over all the police shootings which have been discussed for months. Of course the two weren't even white, they were visible minorities - because what else could this asshole do to be more of a wretchedly stupid fuck?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:20 pm

People are getting really classy about the NYPD shooting.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/20/ ... nypd-cops/

and

By which I mean, holy crap, fuck these assholes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Christ, Pataki, I don't even USE Twitter and I know the difference between a hash and an at sign.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:39 pm

I guess this could go into a lot of different threads.

Wow, right off the bat House GOP is going after Social Security:

Kathy Ruffing wrote:Buried in the new rules that the House Republican majority plans to adopt for the 114th Congress is a provision that could threaten Disability Insurance (DI) beneficiaries — a group of severely impaired and vulnerable Americans — with a sudden, one-fifth cut in their benefits by late 2016. The provision bars the House from replenishing the DI trust fund simply by shifting some payroll tax revenues from Social Security’s retirement trust fund.

http://www.offthechartsblog.org/house-r ... ficiaries/

That would probably matter a lot to my mother-in-law, who's in a care home entirely funded by her Social Security/Disability.

Like, here it is, cartoonishly evil Snidely Whiplash shit. I'm sure the Democrats will completely fail to capitalize or even stop this in any meaningful way as per usual.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Soooo Paris shootings.

This will have some fallout, I imagine. Not sure what yet.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:38 pm

I don't really know what I'm trying to say and although it should be self evident I will first say that I don't think it deserved the violence, murder and terror it recieved. And the only reason I'm even saying anything now is because this has caused my social media feeds to be filled with comics from Charlie Hebdo and because I don't read French satirical publications this is the first exposure I've had to them, but holy shit those comics were racist, sexist and homophobic at their worst. Now again, no excuse for the shootings. Obviously that response was insane.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:58 am

Yup, they were really shitty comics.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 am

From what I hear from a friend who lived there for a year or two, France really is as xenophobic as it's commonly depicted, and particularly ugly toward Arabs and/or Muslims.

I've gotta figure there are a lot of members of those minorities in France who are pretty pissed off at the killers for reinforcing all the things the bigots believe about them.

Bleeding Cool has a good collection of tweets from people in the comics industry.

Don't read the comments.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:57 am

Yeah, 'fraid the stereotype about French bigotry is mostly true. It's true for much of Europe, but France has it a fair bit more.

The reality is that those Charlie Hebdo comics aren't really that far off mainstream (I don't know well enough to say just how close they are).

François

Postby François » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:03 am

There is a non-insignificant proportion of the French population that believes Liberté, Égalité and Fraternité is for white dudes only, and there is a chunk of media industry devoted to them, of which CH is definitely a part. But in the end, defending their right to spew their garbage is how we prove that we are better than they are. Protecting the free speech of the people who say things we agree with is really no great feat; it's our reaction to the death of our ideological opponents that is the litmus test of our own philosophy.

(Not that I'm saying any of us are dancing on their graves of course. And it would definitely be better if they went away or were made irrelevant. Just... not by being shot by extremists.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:19 am

Oh hell yes. I'm sure we're all aware of the relevant not-actual-Voltaire quote.

Bigots should be marginalized, criticized, mocked, protested, boycotted, shunned. When people exercise their right to be assholes, you should exercise your right to call them assholes.

But people who actually go around murdering people for drawing cartoons they don't agree with are much, much bigger assholes.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:22 am

Yeah, no one should get murdered because they're a bigot.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:25 pm

ComicsAlliance has a good roundup of political cartoons responding to the attack.

Once again, don't read the comments.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Response from Joe Sacco; rebuttal from Ruben Bolling.

I think they both make some good points -- Bolling, in particular, notes that it's not always easy to tell who the target of satire is, especially if it's in a foreign language, and that one of the cartoons that's been used as an example of bigotry was actually intended at the expense of bigots (think of that New Yorker cover in 2008 that depicted the Obamas as terrorists, and the shocking number of people who didn't realize it was making fun of the "scary secret Muslim" meme, not reinforcing it).

And then a piece from Scalzi.

All via Tom Tomorrow.

We could probably use a threadsplit, when you guys get a minute.