Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:26 am

HAHAHAHAHA

Blossom

Re: Our Collapsing Civilization

Postby Blossom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:49 pm

The reason I haven't commented on the shootings at Planned Parenthood is that we haven't had any confirmation that they were nonrandom and politically motivated. I think it's most likely that that's the case, but we don't know for sure.

Regardless, I think the media's response to the murders has been, well, a lot quieter than it would have been if the killer were brown and the site hadn't been a Planned Parenthood, and the response by the Republican presidential candidates has been pathetic. (On the one hand, no, politicians are not obligated to condemn every terrible thing done by a fringe lunatic; on the other, if you've spent the last few months whipping people up into a frenzy about Planned Parenthood and can't even be bothered to say "but murdering people at Planned Parenthood is wrong" then yes you're part of the problem. At least Fiorina hasn't gone full Sarah Palin and taken out an ad to ramble about blood libel.)

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Thad wrote:The reason I haven't commented on the shootings at Planned Parenthood is that we haven't had any confirmation that they were nonrandom and politically motivated. I think it's most likely that that's the case, but we don't know for sure.

Regardless, I think the media's response to the murders has been, well, a lot quieter than it would have been if the killer were brown and the site hadn't been a Planned Parenthood, and the response by the Republican presidential candidates has been pathetic. (On the one hand, no, politicians are not obligated to condemn every terrible thing done by a fringe lunatic; on the other, if you've spent the last few months whipping people up into a frenzy about Planned Parenthood and can't even be bothered to say "but murdering people at Planned Parenthood is wrong" then yes you're part of the problem. At least Fiorina hasn't gone full Sarah Palin and taken out an ad to ramble about blood libel.)

This was cited on the Wikipedia page about this 2015 shooting in Colorado Springs as a source for the shooter muttering "no more baby parts" while being arrested. I think (if that's true) that's enough to say that the shootings were politically motivated.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:24 am

Thad wrote:Regardless, I think the media's response to the murders has been, well, a lot quieter than it would have been if the killer were brown and the site hadn't been a Planned Parenthood, and the response by the Republican presidential candidates has been pathetic.

Ted Cruz claimed the shooter was transgender. Why? Because apparently several years ago he'd (mistakenly) registered to vote as a woman.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:39 am

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:18 pm

House Committee releases scathing report of Secret Service, calling it "an agency in crisis."

According to the report, there have been 143 security breaches or attempted breaches at secured facilities in the past decade. And of those, only 13 have resulted in jail time for the perpetrators, the committee found.

Investigators also found "morale is at an all-time low" within the Secret Service because of overworked personnel, shrinking budgets, a loss of confidence in top leadership and other factors.

The investigation focused on a handful of security breaches dating back to November 2011. That's when several shots were fired from a semiautomatic rifle at the White House, but it wasn't discovered for four days, until a housekeeper stumbled upon broken glass and cement debris on the floor. Another lapse was the much-publicized prostitution scandal involving Secret Service personnel in Cartagena, Colombia, in 2012.

The report also chronicles a monthlong period in 2014 in which there were six security breakdowns, beginning with a Sept. 16 incident. It involved an armed security guard with a history of violence whom the Obama's security detail allowed to ride an elevator with the president in Atlanta.

Eleven days later, a man "posing as a Member of Congress at a Congressional Black Caucus awards dinner" managed to sneak backstage unnoticed by agents at an awards gala and speak to the president, according to the report. The report adds that in yet another breach in October of last year, a woman was able to gain unauthorized access to a backstage entrance, this time at a Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute event.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:34 pm

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:28 am

Well, it was 8° above freezing today in Toronto, on January the 8th. Goodbye human habitable Earth, you had a good run.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:14 am

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Do you want to get angry? You probably shouldn't look at this if you don't want to get angry.

In case you're interested:

Jack.Weil@usdoj.gov

&

https://www.justice.gov/eoir/immigratio ... ssionalism

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Now, this is a Buzzfeed article, but it's actually one of the good ones and not a dumb clickbait list (though it does have a clickbait-y title - some habits are hard to break, I guess).

It's a lengthy piece on how the experience of American Muslims in the south and midwest has turned from very good to quite bad in the past twenty years or so. If you want a great look at where all the hate speech and rage is going, well this is it, with screed and fear mongering as pernicious as stuff like The Protocols of The Elders of Zion ever was.

Muslims Used To Love Living in Tennessee - Now It's A Nightmare

“In a world where secularism is the norm, and being religious is actually sometimes looked down upon, finding someone who is religious is comforting.”

While studying at Vanderbilt University, Mohyuddin married a Bangladeshi immigrant who was finishing his medical residency, and years later they moved to Tullahoma, a small town in the wooded hills near the Alabama border. In the mid-2000s, Mohyuddin decided to educate her children at home, and she asked to join a Christian homeschooling cooperative. Some families threatened to leave the co-op if it admitted a Muslim family, but they were overruled by the families who threatened to leave if they were rejected.

One day, a mother at the co-op vented to Mohyuddin about how her teenage daughter had confessed to liking a boy. She was willing to let them go on a date, as long as they took a chaperone.

“I was like, ‘Wait, that’s what we do!’” says Mohyuddin.

Mohyuddin is far from alone in her affection for the South. In Journey Into America, a study of Muslims across the United States, anthropologist Akbar Ahmed notes that “the Muslims we interviewed in the South say they were by and large happier than those living in places like New York City.” Much of this sentiment comes from the harmony between the social conservatism of Islam and evangelical Christianity.

Daoud Abudiab and Sabina Mohyuddin both testified against the anti-Sharia bill before the legislature. Hundreds of Muslims showed up to the statehouse in protest, and the bill that eventually passed was significantly watered down. This mobilization was organized, in large part, by TIRRC and other civil- and immigrant-rights groups. While Abudiab and Mohyuddin welcomed the alliances, many other Muslims felt forced into them by circumstance. Ossama Bahloul, the imam of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro, recalls feeling deeply uneasy when LGBT groups expressed their support during the campaign to stop the building of his mosque; recently, he declined to support one of these groups in return.

“You might find it very confusing,” Bahloul says. “Politically, how am I going to support someone who is against my personal values? Because he supports my existence? And the very conservative person shares with me the same values — but he is against my existence.”

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 am

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:30 pm

That sounds pretty scary, and it probably actually is, but honestly if this is it

Police spied on a South Salt Lake City home after receiving an anonymous tip about drug activity. When Joseph Edward Strieff, the defendant in the case, walked out of the house, a police detective illegally stopped him, questioned him and checked his name in a police database.

The State of Utah conceded that this stop was illegal. Justice Sonia Sotomayor noted that the police “officer did not suspect that Strieff had done anything wrong. Strieff just happened to be the first person to leave a house that the officer thought might contain ‘drug activity.'”

then as someone who is regularly leaving a house that is performing 'drug activity' I already assumed this was all legal. I mean, we have stop and frisk.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Reuters: 100+ dead in truck attack in Nice, France

No, not a truck bomb. Guy just drove a heavy transport truck full speed into a crowd at the local Bastille Day celebrations.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:25 am

100+ INJURED, not dead. Still, a lot of people are dead.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:31 am

Looks like 70+ dead. Sorry was looking at multiple articles when I posted that and the first one had 100+

Either way, I mean... geez fuck.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:13 am

...that the location of the shooting is called Nice is making for some really fucking strange headlines.

"Trump Postpones Vice Presidential Announcement Due To Nice Truck Crash", stuff like that.

I have an uncontrollable urge to make an inappropriate joke about "another Nice mess", and I am confident I am going to hell.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Really good read, you guys. A+ recommendation from Neil.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:24 am

Today I learned that there's a Google plug-in called "Coincidence Detector" that automatically adds brackets (((like this))) to Jewish names, to "help people see their influence". It's described as "Closed captioning for the Jew-blind."

The reason I learned this is because apparently the Wikileaks Twitter is run by fucking Nazis:

I mean, Jesus Fucking Christ, could the world please let up for like... a week? (no)