Büge

Re: Sadly, we still need a "white guy shoots black teen" thread

Postby Büge » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Widmore has a brief breakdown of the Alton Sterling killing:

Oxi posted this exchange over the shooting earlier today, which I'd say is worth a listen.

Regarding the Philandro killing, if you've seen the video, it's pretty much all laid out there for all to see. Like Larry says in the above, thank fucking god for cell phones, or we'd never, ever of heard about either of these.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 pm

Someone's declared war on cops. Check the news source of your choice for details, but the short version is that someone with a high powered rifle opened fire on cops (and protesters) from a separate building (i.e. they were not marching with the protesters) at the Dallas BLM protest tonight.

Per CNN & (NBC now too), 10 officers shot, 3 officers dead, multiple officers in critical condition, at least two shooters, neither in custody.

This mess is really bad, but I would be lying through my teeth if I said I hadn't been wondering with each new killing by police how long it would be before someone started trying this shit.

Shit, have there even been any killings by the Dallas police force yet? Because it would be all too stupidly fitting for this to start in on a force that hadn't actually done anything yet. I tried to search, but obviously right now any search with the keywords "Dallas" "police" "shooting" are going to just give tonight's news.

EDIT: Okay, seems like Dallas did have a pretty bad problem going in to this. Not so much with shootings (though they had a few) but on brutality and beatings against, surprise, surprise, mostly blacks. No way if knowing if it was excessive by national American standards or what.

Ah fuck, what a fucking mess. It's only gonna get worse from here.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:15 am

Fuck. Apparently the protest was not only peaceful but had been going really well for people actually trying to talk and get along. Pics like this are going up all over:

God fucking dammit.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:40 am

One of the criticals has died.

Also it seems like they weren't even all cops. Some of the dead and wounded were just DART (i.e. transit) cops. Fuck's sakes.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:43 am

Unbelievably fucked. This is the last thing anyone needed.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:45 am

I'm not trying to take away from the content of your posts, Mongrel, but when you say things like 'war on cops' it stokes the exact kind of fires that build to the problems with our police and their mistrust of the public which cause the types of senseless murder of civilians by cops that this topic was created to discuss.

What happened in Dallas was a terrible, tragic crime, of that there is no question. Still, don't use dangerous rhetoric like 'War on Cops', please.

I mean come on, look at this irresponsible bullshit.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:25 am

I'd put at least a lunch on the fact that whoever set this up, given the amount of effort that went into it, absolutely fucking wants a "war with cops", regardless of how completely awful that'd be.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:14 am

Yeah, I'd say there's an important distinction between saying the shooters in this case are trying to start a war with the police and saying that such a war is actually happening. The first is, based on the evidence we've got, probably true; the latter is clearly not.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:02 pm

5 dead, 7 wounded.

One of the shooters was cornered in a parking garage, where he holed up and exchanged fire with officers until they used a bot to drive over an explosive and kill him. That guy was a 25-year-old black Army Reservest named Micah Xavier Johnson.

There's four other suspects that've been taken into custody.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:35 pm

Joxam wrote:I'm not trying to take away from the content of your posts, Mongrel, but when you say things like 'war on cops' it stokes the exact kind of fires that build to the problems with our police and their mistrust of the public which cause the types of senseless murder of civilians by cops that this topic was created to discuss.

What happened in Dallas was a terrible, tragic crime, of that there is no question. Still, don't use dangerous rhetoric like 'War on Cops', please.

I mean come on, look at this irresponsible bullshit.

Fair enough. Though in my defence I would not have used such wording elsewhere, precisely because I can trust that no one here on the Brontoboards is the type to have their fire stoked by that sort of thing.

I do think that we are going to see more and not less calls for militarization from the angriest, most extreme, segments of black communities precise because there has been shooting after shooting after shooting with no effective consequences dealt by the existing system. That's not a moral judgment or something I agree with; I'm just saying it's going to happen. I think we will see copycats. I think there will be more shootings and more blood, because the underlying problem has proved so intractable and this sort of phony "vengeance" is so easy and cheap.

It's going to be hard even for the vast majority of blacks who do condemn violence, because they're still rightly angry about all these shootings with little hope for change in sight. So language is going to continue become more and more charged to the point where it can inspire violence even if violence isn't mentioned or that inspiration isn't intended at all.

Take the Jesse Williams BET speech from last week, which many of us were cheering. One thought I had during the speech was that he was hoping for or even suggesting something like the return of the Black Panther Party, which frankly might well be necessary on several levels. But it would be easy for someone just itching for the excuse to take that kind of interpretation further and hear it as a call to actual violence, a call to war.

Now I doubt that was the intention at all, and I don't retroactively think he should have changed the language of his speech to "tone it down" - it was good and needed to be said just as he did. But the atmosphere is so charged and people are so angry that the room between useful peaceful protest and violence is getting narrower and narrower, so the risk of spillovers is going to get worse, not better. Which, if anything, backs up your point that we need to be EXTREMELY careful with our word choices.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:09 pm

ABC: And in Georgia, a deliberate ambush using a fake 911 call to lure an officer

Jesus fucking Christ are you fucking kidding me.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Oh and speaking of calling things war, there was this gem:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Okay, I'll close this run of posts with one actually positive thing:

Newt Gingrich of all people displaying a surprising amount of compassion and understanding for BLM.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Mongrel wrote:Newt Gingrich of all people displaying a surprising amount of compassion and understanding for BLM.

But, because it's still Newt Gingrich, still calls anyone not white (and a male, probably) abnormal.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Baby steps.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:14 am

Personally I think the realization that "other" people still deserve respect is way healthier than trying to cram everyone who's made it into the protected crowd into the "normal" bucket while still trying to maintain the distinction.

Oh, the shootings? Well, I've got some REALLY sardonic shit to say about those, but I think along with the rest of the world I've hit the point where I realize how very fucking little that sort of pissantry has been accomplishing.