What about a thread for good news?

Sharkey

Re: What about a thread for good news?

Postby Sharkey » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much just the shittier libertarians with weird double standards, but that's a pretty big crowd I'm glad to be rid of.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:14 pm

It amuses me to think that Jew burning Nazis would today rally around free-speech as their defense when asked to stop.

"Could you not throw people into ghettos, then camps, then work them to death while also murdering some of them outright, sexually assault their kids, rape their kids, horrifically murder babies by swinging them into walls when they won't stop crying, and then shove everyone into gas chambers and then incinerators when you're done doing all that?"

"STOP YOU'RE OPPRESSING ME"
ImageImageImage

Postby Newbie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:22 pm

The MetaFilter thread on the subject. I get that "social justice warrior" and other such anti-progressive slang is the inevitable countercultural blowback from a prevailing progressive trend, but I keep thinking about the life-cycle of conflict and wondering: if I'm not going to invest the time and energy in engaging the opposition directly to build bridges, I probably shouldn't be talking about the issue at all, should I? I should dance around that issue entirely and draw attention to subjects completely unrelated to the positions being debated.

EDIT: A recent comment from the MetaFilter thread:

zabuni wrote:
It seems you're taking for granted the most pessimistic scenario. There's nothing in your argument to rule out influence in the opposite direction. Is the premise that there are no decent people on reddit? Or that there is some sort of 'human nature' that inclines people to viciousness and cruelty?

1. Bad chases out good. It only takes several people behaving badly to disrupt a conversation. You see it all the time on Metafilter.

2. Groups polarize over time. Moderates and dissenters leave, and the group reinforce their values

By harboring racist/sexist/anti-semetic/*ist groups on reddit, it allows people to reinforce their beliefs about these subjects.

By making participation in any subreddit trivial, in fact making preventing participation in a subreddit by a moderator quite difficult (alt accounts), you let these groups, once formed, disrupt conversations that are anti-ethical to their beliefs.

It takes a lot of effort to fight against racism and sexism, and people get tired of doing so. It's even worse if the site in question has areas for them to group up and organize their attacks.

This is as good a time as any for me to thank everyone who's ever moderated one of these forums. Yes, even the divisive ones who used their powers for evil. Thanks, folks.
tiny text

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:23 pm

Yes, even the divisive ones who used their powers for evil.

Listen, Thad has asked for forgiveness for his constant unprovoked bans and we've given it to him and moved on. Stop dredging up the past, in which Thad was handing out bans left and right like a tyrannical tyrant man bent on banning the innocent.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:02 am

* bans Friday

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:07 am

* makes a 42 page thread about it
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:45 pm

* bones Friday

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:34 am

Two off-duty US marines and a civilian stop AK-47-weilding extremist on high speed train to Paris:

Cazeneuve said that when a French passenger tried to enter a toilet on the train, he was encountered the gunman and tried, but failed to overpower him. The assailant's gun was then fired. A French-American passenger was hit by the bullet.

That's when, Sadler tells the AP, that the three heard a gunshot and breaking glass and then saw a train employee running down an aisle, followed by a man carrying an automatic rifle.

"As he was cocking it to shoot it, Alek just yells, 'Spencer, go!' And Spencer runs down the aisle," Sadler said. "Spencer makes first contact, he tackles the guy, Alek wrestles the gun away from him, and the gunman pulls out a box cutter and slices Spencer a few times. And the three of us beat him until he was unconscious."

"He didn't say anything. He was just telling us to give back his gun. 'Give me back my gun! Give me back my gun!' But we just carried on beating him up and immobilized him and that was it," Spencer said.

Skarlatos was quoted by Sky News as saying "Spencer got to the guy first and grabbed the guy by the neck."

"I grabbed the handgun, got that away from the guy and threw it. Then I grabbed the AK-47 (Kalashnikov), which was at his feet, and started muzzle-bumping him in the head with it," Skarlatos said. "Everybody just started beating the guy while Spencer held the chokehold until he went unconscious."

ocksi

Postby ocksi » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Muzzle-bumping sounds like a tremendously filthy sex act.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:34 pm

That is the cutest term for a rifle butt beating I can ever recall seeing.

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:21 pm

wrong end of the rifle, but yeah

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Yeah despite all thoughts of praticality to the contrary you almost never beat people with the butt end of any gun, even pistol whipping is an almost exclusively barrel-whipping endeavor, you never want the chance you could give control of your weapon to the person you're beating with if and with long arms you just flat don't want to have the weapon pointed at yourself whilst doing something with it (beating someone) which might cause a misfire.

Edit: on a lot of guns the barrel/reciever is going to be the strongest part of the weapon also. My glock is legit plastic except the barrel.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Joxam wrote:Yeah despite all thoughts of praticality to the contrary you almost never beat people with the butt end of any gun, even pistol whipping is an almost exclusively barrel-whipping endeavor, you never want the chance you could give control of your weapon to the person you're beating with if and with long arms you just flat don't want to have the weapon pointed at yourself whilst doing something with it (beating someone) which might cause a misfire.

Edit: on a lot of guns the barrel/reciever is going to be the strongest part of the weapon also. My glock is legit plastic except the barrel.

I dunno, on several of my military rifles if I was out of ammo I'd totally beat someone with the butt. If I forgot to pack the bayonets, like the foor-and-a-half cruciform spike on the one. I saw someone do a torture test on one of them and they smashed the fuck out of a cinderblock with the butt of the rifle, with no significant damage to the gun.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Still terrible barrel control to point that shit at yourself no matter how out of ammo it is, bro.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Joxam wrote:Still terrible barrel control to point that santorum at yourself no matter how out of ammo it is, bro.

It's 4 feet long. I can beat a motherfucker with it without flagging myself. Convenient video with redneck demontration of potential technique.

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:51 am

The butt stroke is a legitimate and good use of a rifle that does not involve pumping lead into a motherfucker.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:36 am

Confederate Pride facebook group infiltrated by trolls, hilarity results.

Everyone in Confederate Facebook seems to accept friend requests from strangers, which I guess can be chalked up to Southern hospitality.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:47 am

And one more.

Pope Francis ends automatic excommunication for having or aiding abortions, reducing it to a regular confessable mortal sin now rather than a something special that you have to go to a bishop for. This is nominally only for the next year, but when directly asked about that, the Vatican spokeman coyly replied "for now."

This is ultimately a baby step. But, well, Catholic Church.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Oh, so it's like how the Freemasons are relaxing their admission policies?

Then again, they probably looked at the numbers of people the church would be left with if they excommunicated everyone who had an abortion.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:49 pm