Misogyny Kills

Büge

Re: Misogyny Kills

Postby Büge » Wed May 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Thad wrote:Well, that and every time any celebrity does anything on Twitter people make a big deal out of it no matter what.

I DO think there's an appeal-to-authority thing where people want to claim some famous figure is on their side. I once had a Gamergate guy point out that he hadn't seen Rhianna Pratchett say anything about Gamergate, and imply that this somehow meant she's on their side.

Because silence implies consent.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed May 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Not that I'd recommend getting any further into it, but there's a pretty good overview of the whole deal on Mary Sue:

Speaking at the Women in the World Summit last month on “Internet trolls” along with Sarkeesian, Ashley Judd, and California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris, New York Times Magazine writer Emily Bazelon said, “There has to be a price to these companies. They have to be worried, in some way, about their bottom line. I think what’s happening at Twitter is a sense that if Twitter deteriorates as it already has in some of its corners into a place where it’s full, it’s just a cesspit and full of misogyny, that that will turn off users. It’s not part of the brand and the image the company wants to project.”

Is losing someone as high profile as Whedon a high enough price for Twitter to crack down in a real way? They have been making progress as of late, but if this is the event that finally gets their attention, even if harassment wasn’t ultimately why Whedon left, that’s both good and bad. Good because even better policies might be made; bad because countless women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ users have suffered Twitter abuse and made noise for far too long without results.

sei

Postby sei » Thu May 07, 2015 11:29 pm

I almost posted about that in the LGBTQ thread, but deleted it, because of the below.

One of Rachel Bryk's friends' writing about the suicide. wrote:The article had misinformation, claiming the death was caused by online abuse at the hand of "internet trolls". Besides the fact that "trolling" is a really shitty thing to call online harassment and abuse, this is (as far as my personal experience with Rachel goes) not really true.
On April 23rd Rachel posted her goodbye on Twitter and I freaked out and asked her a bunch of stuff to see if there was absolutely anything I could do to fix things.
There, of course, wasn't.
I asked her why she felt the need to do this. She replied saying that she had "incurable crippling diseases", specifically "RA + fibromyalgia" (RA I assume means Rheumatoid Arthritis).
Neither are an easy thing to deal with and I imagine they're far worse to deal with in combination. When I asked Rachel about it she said she had been dealing with the diseases for 7 years and that it "Only gets worse over time".

That was the reason she gave me for her decision. She certainly dealt with a lot of other awful things including harassment, but when I asked her about her choices it came down to her illness.
This is important, because the reaction people have had to her death have been overwhelmingly about harassment. It's to the point where Rachel is no longer being treated like a person, but rather a piece of data to make a political point. This is why I've been working so hard to fix things today. This is why I've personally spoken to the writer and editor of the Vocativ piece. This is why I'm unbearably upset.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Fri May 08, 2015 1:19 am

Huh. That's certainly a wrinkle. It's still tragic she took her own life, but I suppose the idea that it was supposedly out of pragmatism in the face of chronic pain rather than abuse at the hands of others is...a bit less enraging. Just sad, rather than abhorrent.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:29 pm

hee hee~

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 am

THIS POST REMOVED FOR INSUFFICIENT CONTEXT

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Wired: Retro Gaming's Misogyny Is Brought to Light After a Violent Tragedy

As you may have inferred from the headline, big ol' content warning for misogyny, violence, and violent misogyny.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:18 pm

Good god that is a depressing read.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 pm

On a sole positive note, I'm glad that society is starting to wake up a little bit to the fact that maybe that guy who constantly talks about how X is a worthless fucking subhuman cunt and someone should shoot them, might, in fact, be actually dangerous and not just "funny".

And by "dangerous" I mean, will fucking shoot you in the head. Or will rape you, and then shoot you in the head.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:01 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:55 pm

He would take his actions back if he could because “it wasn’t worth it and my life is ruined now,” he said.

hahahaha, man. There is something deeply, deeply wrong with incels. It takes a particular mind to walk into a room and stab a woman to death with a sword and then say "man, that wasn't worth ruining my life over."

I get being a socially awkward man sucks. But twisting that shit into a desire to MURDER PEOPLE shows me exactly who you REALLY are. It's not about how unfair it is that you will never get a date. At all. You hate women. You hate them so much you walked into a spa and stabbed a mother of a 5 year old to death. This doesn't have anything to do with your fucking manifesto or social commentary.

I'm done with engaging with incels. I at one time sort of kind of pitied or had some sympathy for them, but at this point they are a threat to all women, everywhere, and should be treated as such.

"but Friday hashtag not all incels --"

NOPE FUCK YOU. YOU CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERNET COMMUNITIES THAT INSPIRE THESE KILLINGS. EVERY TIME YOU POST YOUR STUPID CHAD VS VIRGIN MEMES YOU ARE FUELING THE NEXT MURDER. GO FUCK YOURSELF.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:41 pm

I mean, that line really does say it all. He murdered an innocent woman in an incredibly gruesome way, orphaned her kids, and his only reaction is "oh boo hoo me." and then he wants protective custody in jail because he's still a useless cowardly self-pitying maggot.

atog

Postby atog » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:14 pm

Same cowardice the other guy showed when he crashed the van and ran from cops instead of a number of other things he could have done to force his own death in a police confrontation.

Terrorists committing hate crimes against women expect to survive. They expect to be able to cop an insanity plea because many of them have psychiatric histories going back to childhood. But any junior-league prosecutor hearing them say "oh boo hoo woe is me" as their sole unscripted response to "why" will know his case is on solid forensic grounds. if you're a narcissistic psychopath, that's enough to put you behind bars, and the other diagnoses and baggage take a backseat. Because it's not about YOU. It's about the survivors, and the lives and dignity of half the species.

I'm not saying these individuals should be executed without trial, or encouraging them to try for suicide after their murderous tantrums. But the problem is a difficult one to treat, rooted at least in part (as they are often aware) in a developmental disability that society is all too ready to stigmatize. It's a disability that does not interfere with the basic capacity to understand right from wrong, and using it as an insanity defense is useless because forensic psychologists have tested the hell out of this and almost universally agree that ethical reasoning in context, is intact in these folks, even if emotionally and socially they're labile and disturbed.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole