Misogyny Kills

Spram

Re: Misogyny Kills

Postby Spram » Fri May 30, 2014 12:44 am

Mothra wrote:Spram, if you're out there, thank you for never doing this.

I take my medication.

But seriously I'm really depressed now. Am I like that guy?

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 30, 2014 1:38 am

Nah.

I mean, you should probably stop calling women ugly and fat all the time. But I think you're a good guy.

François

Postby François » Fri May 30, 2014 5:31 am

Rejection hurts, and loneliness hurts. Feeling that pain doesn't mean you're weak, it means you're human. It's what you do with that hurt that matters in the end, that's what you have any control over. And you're wise enough to accept help in order to maintain that control when you need it, which is definitely to your credit.

We're all a little closer to dumb jackass rage than we're comfortable with, it's been in our blood since the beginning; sanity is a full time job for everyone. If you can keep that stuff bridled right and maybe channel it into something productive every once in a while, then you're no worse than any of us, and better than many.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri May 30, 2014 10:05 am

Spram wrote:
Mothra wrote:Spram, if you're out there, thank you for never doing this.

I take my medication.

But seriously I'm really depressed now. Am I like that guy?

Heh, nah I was just clownin'

I remember you got really depressed for a while because you weren't making much progress with The Ladies, and then we all kind of had that discussion were we were like, "You've got to like yourself before anyone else can like you" and all that, then you dropped off the face of the boards for a while (I assume because life was happening).

In a cruel alternate universe, you spiraled into obsessive insanity like this guy instead of dealing with the problem head-on.

patito

Postby patito » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:25 pm

See, now that article's title is sensationalism. The article itself is good and it does address a real problem but:

" and while we have not officially experienced a Christian-inspired coup to suspend the constitution and take away women’s rights as described in the novel, many states are well on the way to creating Gilead-like conditions, at least with respect to women’s reproductive rights."

So at least the article does admit the republic of gilead stuff has nothing to do with the rest of it for the most part.

Edit: duh, nevermind, that's isn't even the article title, it's just your description of it.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:18 pm

The Sexist Facebook Movement the Marine Corps Can't Stop

There is a lot of unmitigated hate at play here. It's disgusting.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Trolls drive Anita Sarkeesian out of her house to prove misogyny doesn't exist

Also, now, she's apparently spent the night with friends after contacting law enforcement about "some very scary threats" against her and her family. She's published a page of extremely violent sexual threats from the person who apparently drove her to call the police; in it, the user mentions the location of her apartment and threatens to kill her parents, who the user names and claims to be able to find.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Not that this isn't all horrible and stupid and no one deserves to have their life ruined for things they say on the internet, but seriously?

The videos — which are essentially subjective cultural criticism — come with transcripts and lists of the games mentioned, making it possible to check them and critique her analysis, which can be reasonably disagreed with in places.
SERIOUSLY?

patito

Postby patito » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:43 pm

are you agreeing with that or disagreeing or what exactly?

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Sounds like a reasonable, neutral description, given that it's background information intended for an audience unfamiliar with Sarkeesian's work and really the accuracy of her criticisms is not the point.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:51 pm

As one of the not crazy woman hating 'critics' of Anita Febrezeian I don't really want to read the rest of your article when it opens with how Anita was always trying to start a discussion when she regularly blocks or ignores even reasonable discussion or criticisms and has always had more negative cynical tones about the content she discusses.

She can make whatever kinds of videos she wants, but don't make her a martyr for reasonable discussion, because she has never been that.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:55 pm

In fairness, your criticism of someone's work is YOUR responsibility to push, not theirs. She has ZERO responsibility to give you a space to air your critique of her work and 100 PERCENT of the responsibility to get her message across. It doesn't claim that she was open to discussions and criticisms to her work, it just suggests ways discussions and criticisms of her work can be done (looking up the games, deciding for yourself if she's on point, arguing against her points if she's not) that don't involve threatening to rape her and kill her parents.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:57 pm

And for this she must live on the run, constantly looking over her shoulder for the fedora-clad shadow who will end her life.

patito

Postby patito » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Dude, she can block and ignore whoever she wants, wherever she wants, and she can be as cynical or negative too. It's an opinion on the internet. You are not sounding as reasonable as you think you are.

Whatever you think or her opinions you can discuss that in any other place. You don't need to write her an email detailing the many ways in which you disagree or you think she's wrong, she's entirely within her right to not give a shit about your opinion, and you are entirely within your right to not give a shit about her opinion as well.

You should also probably look up the meaning of "subjective" in the dictionary apparently.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:04 pm

beatbandito wrote:Febrezeian

If you're over twelve and don't work for Mad Magazine, you probably shouldn't be doing that.

beatbandito wrote:I don't really want to read the rest of your article when it opens with how Anita was always trying to start a discussion when she regularly blocks or ignores even reasonable discussion or criticisms and has always had more negative cynical tones about the content she discusses.

She can make whatever kinds of videos she wants, but don't make her a martyr for reasonable discussion, because she has never been that.

That's really not the point of the article, though.

I haven't followed the debate much; it could be true that if I did I'd find her too aggressive about limiting discussion on her forums. I don't know, and frankly you're not the guy I'd ask, considering your answer might consist of a ten-minute video of fart noises. But that's really got no bearing on what the article is actually about, which is the stalking and harassment she's received as a result of her videos.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm not sure why you're going full retard on this. I'm not saying anything about how if she doesn't let people threaten to rape her she's not being open to criticism. I even actually said this bit about how she can do what she wants
patito wrote:Dude, she can block and ignore whoever she wants, wherever she wants, and she can be as cynical or negative too. It's an opinion on the internet.

beatbandito wrote:She can make whatever kinds of videos she wants

see?

but don't open your article with how she came out of the gate trying to start good, informed discussions and it went wrong. That was never the case. She had something she wanted to say and was going to say it, not caring about any criticisms or other opinions, which, let me say it again. She is allowed to do because anyone can make dumb internet videos or host events or talks about whatever they want, just own up to that shit and say she was making a series of videos expressing her opinions on the state of women in gaming and yada yada whatever.

That quote is incorrect and makes me doubt other facts stated in the article. End of story.

this also relates to thads post so I'm not editing

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 pm

A single twitter account created today, using a real name and not any sort of handle, which posts all of its tweets in less than four minutes and then goes silent. Yes. This is a real thing that happened.

I think there is fair grounds for criticism of her videos on the grounds that what they mostly do is present plagiarized material stripped of content, misrepresented, or flat out falsified. And that she got $150k to do it.

patito

Postby patito » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Dude, beatbandito, he's opening the article with the word "subjective", did you go to the dictionary yet?

Oh and yeah, TA brings up that one image that's basically of someone internet detectiving poorly, yup, I knew that was gonna happen

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 pm

19:37 <beatbandito> Saying that she was posting videos that could be 'reasonably disagreed with in places' implies that she provided any places at all
19:37 <beatbandito> when in fact she opted in to close off places that would have allowed discussion
19:37 <•patito> no
19:37 <beatbandito> yes
19:37 <•patito> disagreed in places
19:37 <•patito> like, places of her argument
19:38 <•patito> not places as in internet boards
19:38 <•patito> or youtube comments
19:38 <•patito> he's talkinga bout disagreing in places on her opinino
19:38 <beatbandito> not after "making it possible to check them and critique her analysis"
19:38 <beatbandito> and how she 'provides materials' by naming the games she talks about but not the people she stole her footage from (but that's a whole nother argument)
19:39 <beatbandito> I guess you didn't see it as that because you know otherwise, or hell maybe the writer is just terrible.
19:39 <•patito> that's completely irrelevant
19:39 <myew> I guess i know a good writer.
19:39 <beatbandito> But the way that is written it makes it seem like she was trying to start discussion
19:39 ⇐ •Kayin quit (~Kayin@ool-45759d56.dyn.optonline.net) Read error: Connection reset by peer
19:39 <beatbandito> and that is wrong
19:40 <•patito> that's not what I got from reading article
19:40 <•patito> and yeah, it seems to be you're still taking the places as in
19:40 <•patito> literal places on the internet
19:40 <•patito> as opposed to how I read it
19:40 <•patito> as in places on her argument
19:40 <myew> The argument seems to hinge that people were commenting about it in me to take her to a bar brawl, and it turned out much cheaper.
19:40 <beatbandito> I see that you see that, and understand why we were misaligned
19:40 <beatbandito> And I don't know the truth, and could be wrong
19:40 <•patito> yeah, I see why you tought what you did as well
19:41 <•patito> the writer is just bad I guess
19:41 <beatbandito> But based off the writer, the title of the article and the other content I believe that was just bad journalism, using misleading tactics to immediately put a bias in the reader's mind
19:41 <•patito> I don't think that's true either
19:41 <beatbandito> which you shouldn't need, since it's an article about THREATENING RAPE