Misogyny Kills

pacobird

Re: Misogyny Kills

Postby pacobird » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:44 am

Bal wrote:because i was definitely talking about months be-fucking-hind when I'm talking about tolerance. I'm fucking done. I get called out to make a point on a specific topic, I do, then I get Mongrels fucking tumblr link and then your post here that is frankly insane. So pineapple it, peace, get back on topic.

MB's an animal unto itself? Not at all representative of a larger culture?

Over the years I have seen exactly two cultures of guild spring up in the wild among strangers sharing one game*: a group with no culture beyond the game and a complete inability to connect over anything else (lots of radio silence in gchat), and incorrigible racists/sexists. I am happy for you if your experiences have been better than mine!

*this does not apply to us, obviously, since this community transcends one game; if we have to use terminology, we aren't a "guild", we're (ironically, given the context!) a "clan"

Mongrel wrote: If no one is identifying with it, or if people ARE identifying with the term but it's no more than a misguided nostalgia or misconception, then I would say it effectively IS meaningless. "Gaming" isn't providing a safe haven, it's small, discrete groups of people - WoW guilds, or server gangs, or weekly boardgame clubs, or whatever that are.

I think this is right. I've been saying gaming is an imperfect remedy to the problem Putnam was arguing about imperfectly in Bowling Alone for so long I'm bored with it, but even when bowling leagues were hugely popular nobody identified as a Bowler.

Also, bowling is pretty hard to politicize, which makes it that much more difficult to use as a part of your identity.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Büge wrote:This is getting seriously off topic as it pertains to the thread. I request a threadsplit.

Buge, please.

The white men are talking.
For the White Witch!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:53 am

Haven't been following, but someone link me where to split the thread and what the call the new one and I'll do that.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:43 pm

Thad, I think you will appreciate this comment:

The Hatsune Miku Occulus Rift Sex Experience would be a good band name

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:47 pm

THMORSE?

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Haven't been following the thread, so I'm a bit late in saying this, but

Disposable Ninja wrote:Buge, please.

The white men are talking.

Don't fucking do that.

On-topic, an also-two-weeks-old link to Gail Simone's Tumblr, The Old Guard.

I see some calls for a threadsplit -- like I say, I haven't been reading the last few pages, so I'm not really in a position to judge whether I think the conversation needs one or not. But I continue to believe that misogyny (and other forms of bigotry) within the gamer community is inextricably linked to the "if you don't like such-and-such, you're not a real gamer" gatekeeping mentality. At minimum, there is significant overlap between the two things. The play habits that make someone Not a Real Gamer seem to coincide quite a bit with someone being Not a Straight White Cis Male Aged 18-35.

I would add that all such delineations are, by their nature, subjective, and have no inherent meaning. One person's definition of a Real Gamer isn't going to be the same as another's, and it's not like there's an objective scoring system. (Bal's definition that it's someone who spends most of his leisure time playing games sounds like a good rule of thumb, but take a minute to actually try and quantify that and it breaks down immediately.) Ultimately, what does it matter? I just don't understand the idea that someone else enjoying my hobby in a different way than I do is some kind of a threat.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Israeli paper photoshops the women leaders out of a photo of a Charlie Hebdo rally.

The Israeli newspaper Haaretz wrote in an editorial that the anti-femme Photoshop is part of HaMevaser’s longstanding Orthodox policy to not publish pictures or even the names of women in its pages.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Zoe Quinn and Alex Lifschitz have started a site called Crash Override Network (and WOW that is a website created by someone who learned UI design from playing video games) to help people deal with dox attacks. According to Ars, they've already preempted a swatting by informing both the target and the local PD in advance.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 pm

You know how there's a demographic that really still doesn't quite understand the internet, or even video games? They're dying but they're still here. Hell some of them aren't even old! And you also know how goofy things get when they do anything that depicts, explains, or mentions the internet or video games, right?

Well, guess what happens when that crowd finds out about GamerGate.

First,

Law & Order: SVU to air episode based on GamerGate

Raina refuses to delay the launch, and the cops must 'level up' to protect her

Second,

That cover is AMAZING. I feel like I fell down the stairs and woke up in 1997.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just realized that one of the trolls is Samus. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:19 pm

Mongrel wrote:EDIT: Holy shit, I just realized that one of the trolls is Samus. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

... that's pretty apt, actually.
For the White Witch!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:37 pm

I just know there's a dickwolf joke in here somewhere.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:57 pm

There's a pretty good essay called Misconceptions of Feminism by Tasha Fierce in Bitch Planet #2 (out this week; it is good; you should be buying Bitch Planet). It's only two pages so it is necessarily brief, but she makes that work for her -- it's quick, clear, and concise.

It hits a few good beats about intersectionality, about unfortunate examples of racism, homophobia, and transphobia among some segments of the feminist community, and how that kind of divisiveness plays right into the hands of people who want to frame feminism as its own form of bigotry. But so does criticizing women who choose not to identify as feminists.

It's a good, quick, thought-provoking piece; it doesn't peddle any easy answers, because there aren't any. But I think she did a solid job of identifying a lot of the challenges feminists are facing right now.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Utah state representative skeptical of new rape bill, worried that it broadens the definition of rape to include having sex with someone unconscious.

"It looks to me now like sex with an unconscious person is, by definition, rape. I hope this wouldn't happen, but this opens the door to it: an individual has sex with their wife while she is unconscious — or he, the only other way around, if that's possible, I don't know. But a prosecutor could then charge that spouse with rape."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:21 pm

god forbid

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:59 pm

You could make the argument that an up-front agreement that such a thing is acceptable is a case where this does not constitute rape, although if you're a conservative this puts you in the awkward position of people asking just what the hell kind of playtimes you and your partner have been up to.

He clearly gives the example of a married couple with a prior sexual history though. In this case it's apparently a right to bang your partner whenever the hell you want.

Which raises the question of what the hell kind of playtimes he's been up to.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Ehhh...
Spousal rape is definitely a gross thing that happens, but I expect it goes dramatically under-reported the same way most domestic violence and general rape does. SO... if the goal of this new definition is to fix those problems...

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:04 pm

the goal of the new definition is that sex with an unconscious person is rape

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:04 pm

that's it

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:07 am

So you don't think the point of clarifying that an unconscious person can't give consent is to make rape cases easier to prosecute and safer for victims to come forward on???