Misogyny Kills

Thad

Re: Misogyny Kills

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:40 pm

Sociological Images has a pretty good collection of 100-year-old cartoons opposing women's suffrage. It makes a nice reminder that stereotypes about feminists are not new.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:55 pm

The headline says it all, really.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:43 pm

So that's what it looks like when two entirely different planets collide.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Well, a planet and a superdense white dwarf star made of dense densium.

When George McFly was talking to Lorraine he was really talking to this fuckin' guy.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:00 pm

At the very least this guy appears to have never heard of "The Internet".

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:14 am

THIS POST REMOVED FOR INSUFFICIENT CONTEXT

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 am

Budweiser's new slogan is, I shit you not, "The perfect beer for removing ‘no’ from your vocabulary for the night."

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:47 am

IF YOU DRINK THIS YOU WILL BE RAPED wasn't testing as well so
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:51 am

other slogan's considered but ultimately put aside

"Obama: Secret Muslim Gay Sharia Law Homicide, or Simple Lizard Person Jew?"

"The perfect beer for removing ‘the n-word’ from your vocabulary for the night."

"Mexicans: Lazy, or REALLY Lazy?"

"Sometimes a woman just needs a good shlapping."
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:51 am

I mean, I read that and was all "Okay, that has to be bullshit" but then you google it and you just sit there wondering "So whose nephew is getting fired?"

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:34 am

We live in fast times. The turnaround on that beer slogan from "photo posted online" to "Company publically apologizes" was 2 hours.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:52 am

Remember that John Oliver segment about Fanta's ad campaign celebrating its 75th anniversary, explaining that it was created in Germany because Coca-Cola was unavailable at the time? And how completely astonishing it was that an ad campaign made it through every single stage from conception to air without one single person suggesting that maybe they shouldn't be making an advertisement informing everyone that their product was created in Nazi Germany?

This reminds me of that.

Seriously, how many fucking people in how many fucking departments does a major piece of branding like a new slogan go through before it gets approved?

The idea that not one person, at any of those stages, noticed anything wrong with that slogan suggests, to me, that everyone in Bud Light's marketing department is...well, a member of the product's target demographic.

ETA: Okay, on closer review I'm seeing that it's not a new slogan per se; it's one of 140 different phrases they've distributed across different bottles' labels. So it's more like the line on the bottom of a Sobe cap than something they intended to slap all over TV ads and billboards. By that metric -- as one of 140 different phrases -- yeah, I can see how that slipped under the radar without sufficient QA review. Still a pretty big dumb fuckup.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 02, 2015 12:09 am

Woooooowwwww, Reddit.

Gross abuse of "feminism" to support corporate interests

I.E. Reddit came up with a great way to lower their labour costs while pretending this is for "diversity.", so now all the workers will get paid 70¢ on the dollar. Hooray!

I can't wait to see if this inane idea spreads.

sei

Postby sei » Sat May 02, 2015 1:58 am

Court brief involving Pao wrote:"Not a visionary type board member"; She seems very insecure and without self confidence"; "She is reluctant to speak out"; "She can get spun up over things that others don't sweat"

Might be projecting / trying to save other people like her, rather than just fucking everyone over.

Looks like the Internet hate machine is already chewing on her. Just search for her name on reddit. Surprise level is going to be 0 if goobergoats are somehow involved.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 02, 2015 4:00 am

Whether the accusations are true or not, or her intentions noble or not, I think this is a severely misguided policy that will have far more bad consequences than good ones.

I mean, I'm perfectly open to the notion that she means well by this. That doesn't make it not a stupid idea.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Wed May 06, 2015 4:26 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Apologies for the Buzzfeed link, but given that they've got an interview with him titled Joss Whedon Calls “Horsesh*t” On Reports He Left Twitter Because Of Militant Feminists, that's pretty directly relevant.

“I saw a lot of people say, ‘Well, the social justice warriors destroyed one of their own!’ It’s like, Nope. That didn’t happen,” he continued. “I saw someone tweet it’s because Feminist Frequency pissed on Avengers 2, which for all I know they may have. But literally the second person to write me to ask if I was OK when I dropped out was [Feminist Frequency founder] Anita [Sarkeesian].”

[...]

As far as Whedon is concerned, however, anyone blaming feminists for driving him away from social media is not only wrong, but missing the point about the relationship between internet trolls and feminists on Twitter.

“For someone like Anita Sarkeesian to stay on Twitter and fight back the trolls is a huge statement,” he said. “It’s a statement of strength and empowerment and perseverance, and it’s to be lauded. For somebody like me to argue with a bunch of people who wanted Clint and Natasha to get together [in the second Avengers film], not so much. For someone like me even to argue about feminism — it’s not a huge win. Because ultimately I’m just a rich, straight, white guy. You don’t really change people’s minds through a tweet. You change it through your actions. The action of Anita being there and going through that and getting through that and women like her — that says a lot.”

So while some of the hate directed at Whedon did take the form of death threats, Whedon said he never saw anything on Twitter that escalated to the level of what feminists like Sarkeesian have had to face just about every day. “Nothing that made me go, ‘Wait, they’re calling from my house,’” he said. “It was like, OK, these guys don’t understand about hyperbole.”

Say, does anyone else get the impression that Whedon and the rest of the gang don't talk to Adam Baldwin very much anymore?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed May 06, 2015 1:15 pm

I saw Gail Simone answer a question about it earlier today, and gave it about as much thought as it deserved:

Anonymous asked: Gail, after seeing Joss get grief over Avengers 2 (Fair criticism taken way too far) and seeing other people online taking progressive values and turning them into something ugly, as well as other forms of fan misbehavior, I'm wondering what we can do to stop this. I'm not a perfect progressive and don't plan on ever being one (is there really such a thing?) but I don't want to ever deal with the kinds of garbage he and other creators, maybe even you, have to deal with. What do we do?

I don’t know, I don’t know the whole situation with Joss because I was away from home and then on the road, so I don’t know what that whole thing was about. From what I read, it sounded like he just couldn’t spare the brain energy for Twitter, which, to be honest, I don’t get how that’s a news story. Guy leaves Twitter, that just doesn’t seem that noteworthy.

I feel like this was started by some incredibly shitty internet rag, and the anti-feminist crowd took it seriously because they're desperate idiots.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed May 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Well, that and every time any celebrity does anything on Twitter people make a big deal out of it no matter what.

I DO think there's an appeal-to-authority thing where people want to claim some famous figure is on their side. I once had a Gamergate guy point out that he hadn't seen Rhianna Pratchett say anything about Gamergate, and imply that this somehow meant she's on their side.