Misogyny Kills

Büge

Re: Misogyny Kills

Postby Büge » Wed May 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Thad wrote:Well, that and every time any celebrity does anything on Twitter people make a big deal out of it no matter what.

I DO think there's an appeal-to-authority thing where people want to claim some famous figure is on their side. I once had a Gamergate guy point out that he hadn't seen Rhianna Pratchett say anything about Gamergate, and imply that this somehow meant she's on their side.

Because silence implies consent.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed May 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Not that I'd recommend getting any further into it, but there's a pretty good overview of the whole deal on Mary Sue:

Speaking at the Women in the World Summit last month on “Internet trolls” along with Sarkeesian, Ashley Judd, and California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris, New York Times Magazine writer Emily Bazelon said, “There has to be a price to these companies. They have to be worried, in some way, about their bottom line. I think what’s happening at Twitter is a sense that if Twitter deteriorates as it already has in some of its corners into a place where it’s full, it’s just a cesspit and full of misogyny, that that will turn off users. It’s not part of the brand and the image the company wants to project.”

Is losing someone as high profile as Whedon a high enough price for Twitter to crack down in a real way? They have been making progress as of late, but if this is the event that finally gets their attention, even if harassment wasn’t ultimately why Whedon left, that’s both good and bad. Good because even better policies might be made; bad because countless women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ users have suffered Twitter abuse and made noise for far too long without results.

sei

Postby sei » Thu May 07, 2015 11:29 pm

I almost posted about that in the LGBTQ thread, but deleted it, because of the below.

One of Rachel Bryk's friends' writing about the suicide. wrote:The article had misinformation, claiming the death was caused by online abuse at the hand of "internet trolls". Besides the fact that "trolling" is a really shitty thing to call online harassment and abuse, this is (as far as my personal experience with Rachel goes) not really true.
On April 23rd Rachel posted her goodbye on Twitter and I freaked out and asked her a bunch of stuff to see if there was absolutely anything I could do to fix things.
There, of course, wasn't.
I asked her why she felt the need to do this. She replied saying that she had "incurable crippling diseases", specifically "RA + fibromyalgia" (RA I assume means Rheumatoid Arthritis).
Neither are an easy thing to deal with and I imagine they're far worse to deal with in combination. When I asked Rachel about it she said she had been dealing with the diseases for 7 years and that it "Only gets worse over time".

That was the reason she gave me for her decision. She certainly dealt with a lot of other awful things including harassment, but when I asked her about her choices it came down to her illness.
This is important, because the reaction people have had to her death have been overwhelmingly about harassment. It's to the point where Rachel is no longer being treated like a person, but rather a piece of data to make a political point. This is why I've been working so hard to fix things today. This is why I've personally spoken to the writer and editor of the Vocativ piece. This is why I'm unbearably upset.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Fri May 08, 2015 1:19 am

Huh. That's certainly a wrinkle. It's still tragic she took her own life, but I suppose the idea that it was supposedly out of pragmatism in the face of chronic pain rather than abuse at the hands of others is...a bit less enraging. Just sad, rather than abhorrent.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:29 pm

hee hee~

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 am

THIS POST REMOVED FOR INSUFFICIENT CONTEXT