Election 2014

Re: Election 2014

Postby Newbie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:19 am

Still stuck with Brownback and Roberts, who at this rate will probably want to dismantle the state infrastructure altogether for the Koch brothers to sell off.
tiny text

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:29 am

I spent over six hours, from 6:20pm to 3am waiting to cast a ballot in one of the two least congested location available in the Chicago metro to cast a provisional ballot.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 am

Welcome to Lame Duck Obama. Enjoy your stay for the next two years as Republicans wait to stack the courts with men who want to own vaginas and life begins at sperm.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 am

The Personhood amendment in Colorado failed. So that's good.

But then we voted in a Republican senator, and the gubernatorial race is too close to call yet.

?????

Do you guys realize what Republicans stand for?

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 am

I "look forward" to two more years of fighting against abortion restrictions.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:26 am

Only two more years?

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:42 pm

I live in hope.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:50 pm

McDohl wrote:Welcome to Lame Duck Obama. Enjoy your stay for the next two years as Republicans wait to stack the courts with men who want to own vaginas and life begins at sperm.

And then get another Democratic President in 2016.

I don't really see anything changing substantially before the next census. We're going to continue to have a Democratic President, a Republican House, and a split Senate. I think it's just demographics at this point, and the same far-right political stances that are getting Republicans a platform in their own gerrymandered districts are poison to the party on a national level.

Of course, I don't know for sure what's going to happen in two years. We don't even know who's going to be running (aside from Clinton, and yes Clinton is clearly running). We'll know who's going into the primaries in about a year, and I don't think that's time for the Republicans to get a better candidate pool than the one they've got now. And the one they've got now sucks. Romney's made noises about trying again, Perry got hisself those Smart Guy glasses, and Christie sure keeps saying stuff, but...well, that sure leaves us with an extremely weak pool of which Romney is the least weak candidate, which didn't work out so well for the Republicans last time. I know people keep talking about Jeb Bush but I don't see him running right now.

The Democrats, on the other hand, really only have Clinton; I don't think there's anybody who's likely to pose a challenge to her in the primaries. I legitimately think Biden would be a better President than she would, but he's a walking punchline.

The best advantage Republicans have is that there really are a whole lot of people who just can't stand Hillary Clinton, and they can mobilize that demographic to vote for anybody they nominate. But first of all, I don't think those kind of numbers are going to be enough to swing an election, and second, an anti-Clinton campaign is likely to provoke even more public displays of misogyny than usual and have an impact on candidates well outside the Presidential race (think "macaca" and "legitimate rape").

Not that I think a Hillary Clinton win is going to be a big victory for progressives or anything -- partly because she's New Democrat as all hell and partly because I can't imagine there being LESS gridlock in Congress under President Hillary Clinton.

Then again, we're two years out; who the fuck even knows what's going to happen by the next election? I could be wrong about all of this.

But I've been right about every nominee since 2000 except for Kerry. This stuff tends to play out pretty predictably.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:45 pm

I'd like to see Warren run, but she's saying she's not gonna. But people have said that before.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm

god, i hope not

progressive rhetoric from former BK law professor

minus

any mention of even the slightest rollback of the BAPCPA, which is a strong contender for the worst piece of legislation passed in the bush era (yes, including patriot) and is like 100% IN YOUR WHEELHOUSE LADY COME ON AT LEAST CHRIS DODD TRIED

=

the exact same brand of bullshit demagoguery masquerading as leadership that's currently withering the soul of the GOP

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:42 pm

I think she's one of the best we've got right now, but I'd rather she stay in the Senate than run for the Presidency.

I mean, just look what happened to Obama.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Looking back on the environment we have had for the last 8 years, I actually think she would have been an ideal President - active and uncompromising.

Looking forward at the environment we are likely to have in the next 10 years, I think she'd be far less than ideal. The ideal President in 2016 would be quiet, efficient, and uncontroversial (making Biden actually one of the worst options).

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 pm

"Uncontroversial President" is going to be a contradiction in terms as long as we've got Fox News. Remember how uncontroversial Obama was in 2008?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:49 pm

By uncontroversial I mean that they should keep Fox News from having a legitimate point as much as possible.

Cait

Postby Cait » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:41 pm

I've heard scuttlebutt that Sanders is making noise about running. We need SOMEONE to primary Hillary though, because she's pretty much the last thing we need if we want to get out of this hole.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:30 pm

Brentai wrote:By uncontroversial I mean that they should keep Fox News from having a legitimate point as much as possible.

Realistically I don't think anyone's going to come much closer to that than Bill Clinton or Barack Obama. There are plenty of legitimate gripes about both of them, but I don't think most of Fox's gripes fell under that umbrella.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:16 pm

I don't think I'm going to start a Nevada thread just for this, so I'll dump these links here:

Nevada Assembly speaker-designate Ira Hansen would be one of the most controversial speakers in Nevada history.

AG hopeful Laxalt described in law firm evaluation as a "Train Wreck" and "Borderline Incompetent"

good lord, Nevada, what the f happens to you during midterms.

personal anecdote: I know Adam Laxalt. Dude didn't drink, because he used to have a drinking problem, so instead he'd just go to bars and pretend to be drunk to hook up with actually-drunk female law students.