Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Blossom

Re: Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Postby Blossom » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:43 am

Thad wrote:I'm just not sure how that works. Is it still murder if it takes 30 years to kill the victim?

It is, but proving proximate cause would be really difficult. But if the cause of death was directly shooting-derived, then possibly yes.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:11 am

Was Brady actually shot at or just hit by a bullet? It's not a murder count in any number of years if Whatsisface just missed, even if it was during a separate murder attempt.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Brentai wrote:Was Brady actually shot at or just hit by a bullet? It's not a murder count in any number of years if Whatsisface just missed, even if it was during a separate murder attempt.

Doesn't Felony Murder apply in the US in that case?

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Possibly 3rd degree, or manslaughter.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Brentai wrote:Was Brady actually shot at or just hit by a bullet? It's not a murder count in any number of years if Whatsisface just missed, even if it was during a separate murder attempt.

Doctrine of transferred intent, it's still murder.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:19 pm

THIS is one of my main arguments.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:11 pm

François

Postby François » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:28 pm

I suppose it's refreshing to see a crime occuring where both the victim and the criminal are armed and still nobody gets shot, as opposed to instances of no crime occuring and someone without a weapon getting shot by a cop anyway.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 pm

The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a possibly semi-automatic, black gun, Gresham Police said.

How do you own a handgun and not have the capacity to identify if a pistol is semi-auto?

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 pm

beatbandito wrote:
The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a possibly semi-automatic, black gun, Gresham Police said.

How do you own a handgun and not have the capacity to identify if a pistol is semi-auto?

It's extra obvious with handguns. It's either a revolver, or it's semi-auto. It's not like there are bolt-action pistols*, or full-auto pistols that would be in the hands of your average criminal.

*There are bolt-action "pistols" (like this one) but they generally show up in the hands of rebels who can't get real handguns but need something they can hide under a coat, not street criminals in the US - especially since this involves a bunch of gunsmithing and/or a pile of legal hoops to have one exist in the US.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:59 pm

I imagine having a gun pointed at you is going to have a certain impact on your faculties and observation skills. Even in relation to the gun itself.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Texas vigilante misses carjacker, shooting the victim in head instead, then runs away
Houston police say that an armed man’s attempt to stop a carjacking went terribly wrong on Saturday night when he shot the vehicle’s owner in the head, then fled the scene.

According to KHOU Channel 11 News, the shooting took place around 11:15 p.m. at a Valero gas station in north Houston.

Police officials say that two men jumped the owner of a Chevrolet pickup truck and absconded with his vehicle.

As the men struggled with the car-owner, a passerby produced a gun and fired multiple shots, missing the thieves but striking the victim in the head.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Well, they plan to. Next August. For some reason.

Cait

Postby Cait » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:19 am

Because the article says the bill doesn't go into effect until next August.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm

In addition to the Critical Response Command, the department recently created a citywide unit of roughly 700 patrol officers — the Strategic Response Group — who are also trained to use and outfitted with semiautomatic rifles. The weaponry represents a marked escalation in the arming of the department. Whereas in the past, only the Emergency Services Unit had assault riles in their vehicles, the department is in the process of roughly tripling the number of high-powered rifles at the ready in patrol cars to ensure that every officer trained to use them has quick access to them.

“It’s a big change in the department,” said Chief Waters, who compared it to a decision in 1990 to upgrade the weapon given to the city’s transit officers, from revolvers to semiautomatic handguns. “There was a clear need to move to the next level.”

NYPD level up!
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:04 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:07 am

Separate point. Today's shooting was odd. Firs off, it was a husband-and-wife team, which was certainly different, second it was this weird extremist terror slash workplace shooting hybrid. Like the guy was clearly preparing for an extremist attack, with multiple guns, tac gear and even IEDs, but I can't help but wonder if something else was the original planned target and the workplace was a heat-of-the-moment change.

... what a disturbingly blasé post. :/

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 am

well we got all these guns might as well do SOMETHING with them right