Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Postby Joxam » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 am

I dont think people should lie down either, my point is a whole bunch of "non-racist white rednecks" going around copping atta-boys for giving minorities gun training is dangerous as fuck for everyone involved that isn't the white people.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:25 am

I think the argument is something like this: yes, it is possible that the police will kill you (where "you" is POC in general and African-American males in particular) if you don't have a gun, but if you do have a gun, that makes it even likelier.

I'm a white guy and I'm not comfortable telling people with different life experiences what they should or shouldn't do to protect themselves. But if protection is the goal, I don't see compelling evidence that having a gun is a good step toward that goal, until and unless we start talking about organized mass armed movements like the Black Panthers. And that didn't make African-Americans safer from gun violence from the police so much as it led to bipartisan support for more significant restrictions on civilian gun ownership.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 am

Also a big part of the entire overall argument we're missing is that even if you aren't a minority mostly all owning a gun means is someone in your family or you are far more likely to kill yourself with it. That does however step a bit away from the specific issue we're talking about.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:58 am

Yeah, general gun ownership issues convolute an already complex narrative.

White people acting cavalier because they're white people is also obviously dangerous - for the poc they try to help more than anyone. But at this argument's core is an open, available way to not only arm, but educate people voluntarily. I think that is an important service and, for the state of affairs that brought us here, it being led by white people is probably safer than if it was the black community standing up solo, as we've seen with even current day depictions of the Black Panthers' attempts at the same.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 am

On a completely different (but related) subject, every fucking person should be trained, and I mean this, in hand to hand combat/martial arts.

Not fucking Karate because while Karate itself doesn't suck, it has been Americanized into a "pay to advance rank" scam school that hardly teaches anyone anything at all in 90% of dojos here in the US. (My favorite example of this was a fellow 6th grader who actually had a black belt (earned in one year!), but didn't know how to kick when I asked him to show me.)

I strongly recommend Aikido or Juijitsu. Both disciplines emphasize a strong sense of caring for the welfare of your opponent.

Knowing how to escape an arm grab, a choke, or a behind-bear hug. Knowing how to block a punch and deliver one. Knowing how to fall. Knowing how to throw motherfuckers onto the ground that do not know how to fall. (Hint: If you throw someone in a fight that doesn't know how to fall, the fight is over.)

Knowing how to kick ass doesn't make you more likely to get killed like having a gun does, and it also teaches you discipline, breathing, fitness, and respect. And how to kick ass when you need to.

Enroll yourself and your kids today.

No, I'm not kidding. I actually find it completely insane that people go through their entire lives not knowing how to physically defend themselves and their loved ones.
ImageImageImage

Bal

Postby Bal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:57 am

Aikido is provably trash that doesn't even involved sparring. If you want to defend yourself, learn a martial art that actually has merit against people who want to hurt you. Muay Thai, jiu jitsu, Judo, even certain schools of Taekwondo, basically anything that can form the basis for an MMA fighter will do the job.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Thad wrote:I think the argument is something like this: yes, it is possible that the police will kill you (where "you" is POC in general and African-American males in particular) if you don't have a gun, but if you do have a gun, that makes it even likelier.

I'm a white guy and I'm not comfortable telling people with different life experiences what they should or shouldn't do to protect themselves. But if protection is the goal, I don't see compelling evidence that having a gun is a good step toward that goal, until and unless we start talking about organized mass armed movements like the Black Panthers. And that didn't make African-Americans safer from gun violence from the police so much as it led to bipartisan support for more significant restrictions on civilian gun ownership.

We are explicitly talking about organized mass armed movements like the Black Panthers, yes.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:38 pm

I mean we're really not. We're talking about a few dozen facebook groups of white boys going around giving people "gun training".

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Oh for fuck's sakes.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:44 pm

And if another toddler had a gun this never would have happened.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Handguns: So easy, a toddler can use them!

It's shit like this that makes me so nervous about visiting or hosting some relatives. I thought I saw a handgun* sitting on a shelf in my brother's house, and my wife's uncle doesn't feel safe on the mean streets of Westminster, CA without a gun. And then there's the fear that people have guns we don't even know about, like... no, no need to spell out that whole story again.

*High on a shelf, but it's safe to assume that won't be enough. It didn't seem to have a mag loaded, but you never assume those things are empty. The day you do is the day someone gets shot.

But hey, "your dead kids don’t trump my constitutional rights."
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Bal wrote:And if another toddler had a gun this never would have happened.

Bad news: The baby was a cop.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am

Fuck fucking fuck god damn it.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:01 am

Family confirmed okay. But still, fuck.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 am

Good. Glad you and your loved ones are safe.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:09 pm

what is happening

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Bal wrote:what is happening

Someone opened fire on a concert in Las Vegas from a hotel balcony using what sounded like one of the currently-legal (but probably not for much longer) workarounds to get close-to-but-not-legally-full-auto out of a semi-auto rifle; at least 50 dead, hundreds injured between the shooting and the ensuing stampede.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Yeah, I just spent the last 45 minutes reading details. This is pretty fucking harrowing.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Anyone talked with Defenestration since last night? I don't expect he was anywhere near the strip, but I'd like to get confirmation he's alright.

I sent him a text message, and a message on Slack. I'll let you guys know if he responds to either one.