Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Thad

Re: Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 am

Put another way: it's not just about the Second Amendment, it's about the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Fourteenth.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:33 pm

I'd only theoretically support using the no fly list to restrict gun sales as a roundabout way of motivating the usual assholes to maybe get rid of the fucking thing entirely or at least open it up to another angle of constitutional challenge. That's almost guaranteed to backfire, so nah, fuck it.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Yeah, if the no-fly list gets directly tied to constitutional rights, things are likely to get steamy.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:45 pm

You mean Due Process is a thing? Huh.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm

No, I don't think anyone's pretending that's still true.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:15 pm

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Fucking hell.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:00 pm

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm

That much is pretty clear to anyone with a pair of neurons to rub together, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Raw Story: "Guns are fine, racism is not"

Leftist rural gun-owners are forming a group based around gun culture to go to "redneck" spaces where white supremacists and neo-nazis would normally recruit unopposed in order to counter them.

They're also directly advocating for gun ownership for minorities and quiltbags.

If you're against gun ownership, I'm sure this doesn't seem like great news, but it's nice to see a gun organization that doesn't support the NRA's blatant racism and slavish Republican pandering.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Yeah real nice. "Hey let's get a bunch of black guys shot", is greaaaaaaaaaaat.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:27 pm

The Black Panthers trying to exercise open carry is the last time we had bipartisan support for gun control laws.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Joxam wrote:Yeah real nice. "Hey let's get a bunch of black guys shot", is greaaaaaaaaaaat.

I don't think gun control is going to come to the US for a long time, if ever. So in that light, I think it's absolutely fair that minorities be given the same rights in practice as whites, rather than the unofficial "guns are only for whites" system that Republicans and the NRA support.

It's right to point out that legally armed blacks are incredibly likely to be shot by police, but that doesn't make the functional denial of gun rights to blacks justifiable. It's also technically an entirely different problem (debatable). To say nothing of the fact that police seem happy to shoot blacks if they have so much as a soup spoon, never mind a gun.

In any case, as has been joked about many times on these boards, the fastest way to get Republicans on board with gun control is to get guns legally in the hands of black men. And, as has also been pointed out, this is actually what has happened in the past (California gun control laws, etc.).

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 pm

That's all fine and well but no matter what happens black people will NEVER have equal right to own guns in this country. Hell that fact is one of the reason I sold my guns. It is absolutely not only naive as fuck but also dangerous as fuck to believe that minorities will ever have that same functional right in this country. Cops get off for asking black people to reach for their wallet and then shooting them for following that direction in this country.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Joxam wrote:Cops get off for asking black people to reach for their wallet and then shooting them for following that direction in this country.

But isn't that true regardless of whether they're armed or not?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm

I mean i guess, "fuck it they're gonna kill you anyways give them an excuse" is a novel argument at least.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Maybe I'm coming at this from a different point of view than you. Segregation in crime is something like 90 percent in USA (people dont drive to the next town over to steal shit). So the implication that I take from advocation for minorities to own guns for protection from racism directly implies protecting yourself against the structures in this country that perpetuate the institution of racism, and that dog just don't hunt.

Its the Police. I'm talking about Police.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 am

Joxam wrote:Maybe I'm coming at this from a different point of view than you. Segregation in crime is something like 90 percent in USA (people dont drive to the next town over to steal shit). So the implication that I take from advocation for minorities to own guns for protection from racism directly implies protecting yourself against the structures in this country that perpetuate the institution of racism, and that dog just don't hunt.

Its the Police. I'm talking about Police.

I am aware.

What I'm talking about is, that yes, there's an argument that minorities do need to be armed on a wide scale to protect themselves from, yes, the police. I'm not sure I'm 100% on board, because obviously it's a big escalation, but where the US is concerned I'm very open to the argument.

I mean, the interpretation that citizens have the right to be armed that they may protect themselves from potentially tyrannical government is the very argument that gun owners use to support second amendment rights. And people being gunned down with impunity by agents of their own government seems pretty fucking tyrannical to me.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am

Mongrel wrote:I mean, the interpretation that citizens have the right to be armed that they may protect themselves from potentially tyrannical government is the very argument that gun owners use to support second amendment rights. And people being gunned down with impunity by agents of their own government seems pretty fucking tyrannical to me.

Except it's not just government. It's baked into White Culture in America: in history, in media, in institution. A non-white person with a weapon is automatically a criminal, or at least highly suspect. There was no outrage from the usual quarter of Second Amendment advocates after the police shooting of Philando Castile, even though he did exactly what they always say he should do. At no point during the confrontation did he do anything threatening, but he still got shot. To the NRA fanatics, him getting shot is things working as intended.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 am

I mean, there have been findings that white supremacists intentionally go into law enforcement jobs for the opportunity to oppress and murder black people. I'd really like to not give them any sort of justification or excuse.