Rooty-tooty point and shootys

mharr

Re: Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Postby mharr » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Speaking of the NRA, Rodger Muller of Al Jazeera Australia has been infiltrating their organisation for years and come back with this report:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/ ... 28105.html

First, "Say nothing." If media queries persist, go on the "offence, offence, offence". Smear gun-control groups. "Shame them" with statements such as - "How dare you stand on the graves of those children to put forward your political agenda?"

This was the advice the US's most powerful gun lobby gave Australia's One Nation party

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Uh, I don't mean to undermine or belittle legitimate undercover/infiltration work, but

I mean, no shit? You don't need to go undercover to know this information about the NRA and similar groups modus operandi?

I include the rest of the article, in which they talk about how to make people angry by making short articles like "African gangs come into your home with baseball bats and you are not allowed to defend yourself." which sounds so absurd like I am in finalfight talking in all caps as is my typical behavior when doing over the top sarcastic bullshit but is actually just word for word what they are recommending.

Again, you don't need an undercover guy to determine that yes they do that. You just need to read their newsfeed.

To be clear, mharr, I'm not criticizing you for posting this, just questioning why you would need a "Three-year undercover sting" to ascertain something you could learn by just looking at any NRA friendly source after a mass shooting and just reading five or six of their typical bullshit articles.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:27 pm

AFRICAN GANGS ARE COMING INTO YOUR HOUSE WITH BASEBALL BATS AND THE GOVERNMENT WON'T LET YOU HAVE A GUN TO SHOOT THEM

see

doesn't that sound like one of my over-exaggerated posts about how crazy the gun nuts/right wing is

except it's actually just word for word exactly what they are saying, so

I guess I'm gonna have to step it up a bit
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:49 pm

I suspect this is more for people who haven't been paying much attention and think the NRA is the American Automobile Association but for guns and not, you know, basically dedicated to enabling bigots, abusers and terrorists for profit.

...not that those people spend a lot of their time reading Al-Jazeera of course.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Friday wrote:Uh, I don't mean to undermine or belittle legitimate undercover/infiltration work, but

I mean, no shit? You don't need to go undercover to know this information about the NRA and similar groups modus operandi?

I include the rest of the article, in which they talk about how to make people angry by making short articles like "African gangs come into your home with baseball bats and you are not allowed to defend yourself." which sounds so absurd like I am in finalfight talking in all caps as is my typical behavior when doing over the top sarcastic bullshit but is actually just word for word what they are recommending.

Again, you don't need an undercover guy to determine that yes they do that. You just need to read their newsfeed.

To be clear, mharr, I'm not criticizing you for posting this, just questioning why you would need a "Three-year undercover sting" to ascertain something you could learn by just looking at any NRA friendly source after a mass shooting and just reading five or six of their typical bullshit articles.

There's a difference between "If you watch how NRA friendly sources behave after mass shootings, it's always according to what almost seems to be a script" and "I've been undercover in the NRA for years, and here is the actual literal script".

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:01 pm

I get that it's frustrating sharing a world with people who don't see how obvious these things are, and treat you like some kind of leftie conspiracy theorist when you assume the worst based on decades of evidence, but what TA said. Let's not dismiss actual front line journalism as worthless, especially when the guy's risking a serious beating at best if found out.

Also as a naive foreigner I'd assumed the NRA were largely restricted to American politics, I had no idea they had chapters all over the commonwealth ready to spring the moment a dozen people get slaughtered somewhere unusual.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:13 pm

The NRA is a massive nutjob house at best. In reality they're a profit generating machine that has total disregard for human life. Watch John Oliver's Last Week Tonight on NRA TV for a glimpse into their insane propaganda that they shovel out.

The part with how they indoctrinate women is actually chilling.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:27 pm

I can definitely confirm they market all over the world, and not just the USA. Hell, I've known or met several dues-paying members up here.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:08 am

TA wrote:There's a difference between "If you watch how NRA friendly sources behave after mass shootings, it's always according to what almost seems to be a script" and "I've been undercover in the NRA for years, and here is the actual literal script".

Yeah, it's one thing to hear it from opponents who can be dismissed as partisans and/or cranks, but it's another thing altogether to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

But Friday's right, too. It's more than a little upsetting that something so obvious to anyone with a functioning brain needs to be spelled out like that. Like, the scheme is right there where you can see it, not written on the back of the Constitution or whatever.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 am

It also bears noting that the NRA is one of the most powerful and successful lobbying organizations in the country, and its armor is starting to crack. People like us don't need any convincing about what the NRA really is and what it does, but there are a whole lot of people who don't pay close attention to politics and still have a neutral-to-favorable view of the organization, sometimes based on its history as a respected gun-safety group. Even dues-paying members often have a different idea about, for example, background checks at gun shows than the NRA's official line.

The NRA relies on support from voters, and greed and fear from politicians, in order to continue doing what it's doing. In light, in particular, of the Parkland survivors' public and plainspoken criticisms, its grip is starting to slip -- just a little bit so far, but if people keep the pressure on, that could be the beginning of a major shift.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:11 pm

It's worth mentioning that it seems to be a favourite route for foreign agents to ingratiate and inveigle themselves into the core Republican machinery.

I don't know how successful they've been, but at the very least a fair amount of the foreign money which has flowed into NRA coffers has nothing to do with gun nut true-believers in other countries sending donations.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:38 am

Right; let's not forget Maria Butina.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 pm

No breaking news today, just thoughts I may or may not have gone on about before.

Heard something on local radio today about gun control. Forget exactly what it involved, but of course they had some critter going on about their right to have a gun, amen. I don't know what made me think it, but I thought "How insane would these people sound if you replaced "gun" with "snake?""

"The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a SNAKE is a good guy with a SNAKE."

"I sleep better knowing I have a SNAKE near my bed."

"I concealed-carry a SNAKE everywhere I go. I'm a responsible SNAKE owner."
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Don't give the Gadsden flag-loving idiots any more ideas.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:21 am

The thing about "if everyone had a gun then the good guys would stop the bads from doing crime" is we basically already tried that, it was called The Wild West and while it didn't have as many gunfights and shootouts as Hollywood would have you believe, it was pretty fucking crime-ridden in general.

"Yeah but they didn't have much police so"

YES.

THAT IS TRUE.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:22 am

anyway the Wild West but with snakes would have been rad
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:48 am

Friday wrote:anyway the Wild West but with snakes would have been rad

Pete the Cat books are a popular choice with the kids in our reading programme. One of the books I end up reading frequently is a simple "Pete's day at school" sort of thing.

At one point Pete goes to the library and picks his "favourite book", which the cover indicates is titled "Wild Wild West" (complete with a picture of a cat in a cowboy hat). But on the next page when Pete is laying on the ground reading, the illustration in the open picture book is a tiny cat person next to a diplodocus big-ass dinosaur of some sort.

Cowcats riding fucking dinosaurs. Come on, somebody make this.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:50 am

Mongrel wrote:Cowcats riding fucking dinosaurs. Come on, somebody make this.
www.furaffinity.net

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:11 am

That's literally West of Loathing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJ7xo85lKY)

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:24 am