Don't Be Evil

Mongrel

Re: Don't Be Evil

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Google China Prototype Links Searches To Users Phone Numbers

The search engine, codenamed Dragonfly, was designed for Android devices, and would remove content deemed sensitive by China’s ruling Communist Party regime, such as information about political dissidents, free speech, democracy, human rights, and peaceful protest.

Previously undisclosed details about the plan, obtained by The Intercept on Friday, show that Google compiled a censorship blacklist that included terms such as “human rights,” “student protest,” and “Nobel Prize” in Mandarin.

Leading human rights groups have criticized Dragonfly, saying that it could result in the company “directly contributing to, or [becoming] complicit in, human rights violations.” A central concern expressed by the groups is that, beyond the censorship, user data stored by Google on the Chinese mainland could be accessible to Chinese authorities, who routinely target political activists and journalists.

Sources familiar with the project said that prototypes of the search engine linked the search app on a user’s Android smartphone with their phone number. This means individual people’s searches could be easily tracked – and any user seeking out information banned by the government could potentially be at risk of interrogation or detention if security agencies were to obtain the search records from Google.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am

I accessed my actual personal email and not the bullshit account one on my phone yesterday, which is something I do rarely enough that I've skipped entire devices.

Immediately after I got an email to the account from google listing all the great bloatware I cleared out and how I definitely should get that back to enjoy my phone. Ever since I've gotten some kind of telemarketing call every four hours or so.

So clearly I left some privacy options unchecked on there that need to get sorted out.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I can't convince myself that this isn't actually an Onion article:

Ars: Google promises to shut down two of its seven messaging apps
When they are shut down, Allo and Hangouts will join Google Talk, Google Spaces, Google Wave, Google+ Messenger, and Google Buzz in the graveyard of former Google messaging apps.

The article's secondary headline isn't helping either.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Allo was meant to compete with Whatsapp but they already had too much foothold on the "places that don't use Facebook Messenger or iMessage" market. Hangouts is just old, janky, and unreliable. I've missed more Google Voice texts than I've received with them routed via Hangouts.

TA

Postby TA » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:05 pm

... well, shit, I use Hangouts all the time as the main way to chat with one of my friends. Not sure what we'll have to switch to.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm

it looks like hangouts is just splitting into "hangouts for texting" and "hangouts for video" unless i'm parsing that wrong.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Highlights of Sundar's testimony to Congress today: