Don't Be Evil

KingRoyal

Re: Don't Be Evil

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:08 am

Google was serving up sponsored ads for a fake Keepass site that was delivering malware

A closer look at the link, however, shows that the site is not the genuine one. In fact, ķeepass[.]info—at least when it appears in the address bar—is just an encoded way of denoting xn--eepass-vbb[.]info, which, it turns out, is pushing a malware family tracked as FakeBat. Combining the ad on Google with a website with an almost identical URL creates a near-perfect storm of deception.

Does anyone have a preferred search engine they use these days? I've been using DuckDuckGo, but it's primarily just serving up Bing results, complete with Microsoft News websites that I hate. But like, I have not really found a better alternative. Using the internet is becoming exhausting
signature

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:51 pm

I'm mostly using DDG too.

I saw a recommendation for a paid search engine the other day but can't find it offhand. I don't know how I feel about paid search but at least it addresses the problem with being ad-supported.

(I say "addresses", not "solves", because as Microsoft has been demonstrating these past few years, paid products can plaster obnoxious advertising all over themselves just as easily as "free" ones if that's something management decides they want to do.)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:17 pm

KingRoyal wrote:Using the internet is becoming exhausting

Brother, you ain't kidding.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:37 pm

Thad wrote:Speaking of enshittification: How Google Alters Search Queries to Get at Your Wallet

[...]

I'm going to advise a little skepticism until we get some independent corroboration

Good call, me. The article has been retracted.

Editor’s Note 10/6/2023: After careful review of the op-ed, "How Google Alters Search Queries to Get at Your Wallet," and relevant material provided to us following its publication, WIRED editorial leadership has determined that the story does not meet our editorial standards. It has been removed.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:40 pm

Seemed like an easy thing to verify by going to Google, typing in some searches for generic items and seeing the returning results

Still suspect they probably do alter your query that way, but not at the entire query just at one of the data stores they use to look up stuff when generating the full search. IE you type in "baby products" and when it's hitting various databases for info, one of them alters it to a bunch of sponsored products by keyword.
signature

sei

Postby sei » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:42 pm

Thad wrote:I saw a recommendation for a paid search engine the other day but can't find it offhand. I don't know how I feel about paid search but at least it addresses the problem with being ad-supported.
Was it kagi? (Neeva was in the space too for a while, but got bought out and integrated into Snowflake.)

Some other options not listed above are searx (pain in the ass to set up) and startpage (proxied Google results). If you use uBlock Origin you can suppress most ads. Bonus points for PiHole as well.

SEO honestly made product research fucking awful. You can sometimes get lucky by searching reddit or site:reddit.com on a search engine, or going out of you way to try and find earnest hobbyist/enthusiast forums and searching them directly. Or hitting consumerlab and consumer reports directly.

When it comes to error debugging, Google still seems to have much better results than the others.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:02 pm

sei wrote:Was it kagi?

Yeah, now that I've got a name to search for in my history, that was it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:03 pm

Thad wrote:Google's had the bright idea to introduce DRM for web browsing to prevent people from using adblockers.

I guess the good news is that it's a Google project, which means it'll be dead in 18 months.

I guessed high.

⚠️ NOTE: This proposal is no longer pursued.

Thank you for all the constructive feedback and engagement on the topic. An Android-specific API that does not target the open web is being considered here.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:30 pm

Maybe. They still seem to be experimenting with it in embedded Android browser contexts, and if it sticks there I wouldn't be surprised if they try to expand it to other platforms.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38118627
https://old.reddit.com/r/programming/co ... e/k7l5uuo/

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:41 pm

Google Disrupts Geofence Warrants, Says (Most) Location Data Will Be Stored Locally

This is a pretty significant shift from a company that's not exactly well-known for protecting users' privacy.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:16 am

I think most of us are aware that Google has become an inferior search engine compared to alternatives like DDG (which is Bing in a pretty wrapper, unfortunately... but still quite a bit better than Google). But TheVerge has an interesting (and very pretty!) article out about how completely web design has shifted to favour google results at the expense of their basic inherent function.

This one is probably ALSO not a surprise to some of us, but not all of us do web design.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:51 am

I'm not taking any "here's how to design your webpage" advice from someone who makes me Page Down five times to get to the article they presumably want me to read.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:54 am

Mongrel wrote:I think most of us are aware that Google has become an inferior search engine compared to alternatives like DDG (which is Bing in a pretty wrapper, unfortunately... but still quite a bit better than Google).

Kagi sounded promising but it's announced a partnership with Brave, the company Brendan Eich founded after he got fired from Mozilla for his anti-LGBT activism.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:36 pm

Saw a recommendation for Stract as an alternative search engine. Haven't fucked around with it yet but it has a "copycats removal" option, and that seems like an excellent start.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:44 pm

Doctorow: Google reneged on the monopolistic bargain

Google search is empirically worsening. The SEO industry spends every hour that god sends trying to figure out how to sleaze their way to the top of the search results, and even if Google defeats 99% of these attempts, the 1% that squeak through end up dominating the results page for any consequential query:

https://downloads.webis.de/publications ... _2024a.pdf

Google insists that this isn't true, and if it is true, it's not their fault because the bad guys out there are so numerous, dedicated and inventive that Google can't help but be overwhelmed by them:

https://searchengineland.com/is-google- ... rse-389658

It wasn't supposed to be this way. Google has long maintained that its scale is the only thing that keeps us safe from the scammers and spammers who would otherwise overwhelm any lesser-resourced defender. That's why it was so imperative that they pursue such aggressive growth, buying up hundreds of companies and integrating their products with search so that every mobile device, every ad, every video, every website, had one of Google's tendrils in it.

This is the argument that Google's defenders have put forward in their messaging on the long-overdue antitrust case against Google, where we learned that Google is spending $26b/year to make sure you never try another search engine:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ne-in-2021

[...]

Most damning of all is how the Better Homes and Gardens top air purifiers perform in comparison to the – extensively documented – tests performed by Housefresh: "plagued by high-priced and underperforming units, Amazon bestsellers with dubious origins (that also underperform), and even subpar devices from companies that market their products with phrases like ‘the Tesla of air purifiers.’"

One of the top ranked items on BH&G comes from Molekule, a company that filed for bankruptcy after being sued for false advertising. The model BH&G chose was ranked "the worst air purifier tested" by Wirecutter and "not living up to the hype" by Consumer Reports. Either BH&G's rigorous testing process is a fiction that they infused their site with in response to a Google policy change, or BH&G absolutely sucks at rigorous testing.

[...]

A lot of the top ranked sites for air purifiers are once-great magazines that have been bought and enshittified by private equity giants, like Popular Science, which began as a magazine in 1872 and became a shambling zombie in 2023, after its PE owners North Equity LLC decided its googlejuice was worth more than its integrity and turned it into a metastatic chumbox of shitty affiliate-link SEO-bait. As Housefresh points out, the marketing team that runs PopSci makes a lot of hay out of the 150 years of trust that went into the magazine, but the actual reviews are thin anaecdotes, unbacked by even the pretense of empiricism (oh, and they loooove Molekule).

[...]

Google downranks sites that spend money and time on reviews like Housefresh and GearLab, and crams botshittened content mills like BH&G into our eyeballs instead.

I watched the Rifftrax of Ready Player One and there's a bit where the characters have to answer a trivia question about video game history in order to proceed. The bad guy has a giant room full of employees working, full-time, to figure out how to solve these puzzles, but at no point does any of them suggest maybe they could just Google it.

My thought at the time was "Wow, Spielberg's conception of futurism is still mired in the 1970s," much like how Minority Report's conception of data storage and retrieval was fancy, crystalline floppy disks.

Maybe I was wrong and he was just anticipating search engines becoming useless.