Don't Be Evil

Thad

Don't Be Evil

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:57 pm

The Guardian: YouTube to block indie labels who don't sign up to new music service

Independent artists could disappear from YouTube "in a matter of days" after the Google video service confirmed it was dropping content from independent labels that have not signed up for its upcoming subscription music service.

YouTube is about to begin testing the new service – which will charge people to watch and listen to music without ads, and download songs to their mobile devices – within the next few days, initially within Google.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Don't Be Evil

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Uh. Wow.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:52 pm

So when Youtube finally does fuck it all up I wonder how long it will take the collective internet to reupload the entirety of the site on to whatever new one replaces it.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 pm

BURY YOUR SHREKS

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:50 pm

I mean hell... It's already excruciating to watch YouTubes on any browser that doesn't have an ad blocker as it is.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 pm

beatbandito wrote:So when Youtube finally does fuck it all up I wonder how long it will take the collective internet to reupload the entirety of the site on to whatever new one replaces it.

Replace YouTube? Good luck without net neutrality.

sei

Postby sei » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:56 am

You're being too optimistic, Thad.

The newly merged Comcast/TW/A&T/Cox conglomerate will throttle YouTUBE so hard that users will be stuck using the vastly inferior, but ISP-sanctioned ConglomoTUBE.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Google Domains in invite-only beta.

It would be both petty and premature for me to say "Haha, fuck you, GoDaddy," but I do have to admit that's the first thing I thought.

At worst, this'll be another dud like Google+ that doesn't make a dent in the established market leader. At best, it'll produce a superior product and some serious competition and force GoDaddy to up its game.

sei

Postby sei » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Geeks already hate GoDaddy.

Namecheap et all didn't manage to slap the giant fucking cock out of GoDaddy's mouth.

Google will be competing with GD for newbies' dollars. In the end, it's going to just be a marketing battle, not a matter of service quality or pricing competition.

sei

Postby sei » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 pm

In slightly funnier news, Google's Web Starter Kit (an attempted Bootstrap competitor) looks like it might not have been ready for release (1, 2).

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:14 am

sei wrote:Geeks already hate GoDaddy.

So I hear.

sei wrote:Namecheap et all didn't manage to slap the giant fucking cock out of GoDaddy's mouth.

Yeah, but they're not Google. Google managed to get a plurality of Windows users to stop using IE.

sei wrote:Google will be competing with GD for newbies' dollars. In the end, it's going to just be a marketing battle, not a matter of service quality or pricing competition.

Well, yes. I was just hoping they provide a better service on principle, mostly. If Google provides a better registrar, that's good for everybody. If some of its features or pricing put pressure on GoDaddy to match them, that's a good thing too.

Free anonymous registration is a good start. I'm also quite curious to see what kinds of web development tools they're talking about and hoping it's not just Blogger or the stuff I screwed around with a couple of years ago when my wife had to make a website for a college class.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:34 pm

Back to the dispute with the indie labels, via El Reg:

REVEALED: Google's proposed indie music-killing contract terms wrote:Google wants to launch a new Spotify-style streaming service under its YouTube brand, and so requires music labels to sign new contracts with it. A leaked copy of one such contract reveals that Mountain View proposes to block indies who refuse to sign the new contracts from YouTube's video service - which is the de facto global digital jukebox

In short, the move will preserve Google's illegal supply chain by cracking down on its legal supply chain.

[...]

Under the terms of the published version of the contract, indies must promise not only to never sue Google - under a “Covenant Not To Sue” - but give immunity to punters who continue to upload the label's own material to YouTube's massively popular video service.

Why does this matter? Getting your stuff taken down from YouTube is hugely costly and in practice, almost impossible, thanks to "safe harbour" provisions designed to protect ISPs and other service providers in the mid-1990s, when the public internet was in its infancy. It requires an individual URL-by-URL take-down notice to be filed for each infringement. Google can continue to monetise the label's music via YouTube, even without the label's permission.

[...]

One legal source familiar with digital music contracts claimed the terms amount to a restraint of trade.

"It's a contract so bad that you would never sign it in normal circumstances. But Google has a gun to your head," our source said.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:22 pm

This is starting to sound more like stupidity than malice, given that it hurts Google as much in practice as it hurts labels ("as much" not meaning "in proportion", of course).

sei

Postby sei » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Thad wrote:
sei wrote:Google will be competing with GD for newbies' dollars. In the end, it's going to just be a marketing battle, not a matter of service quality or pricing competition.

Well, yes. I was just hoping they provide a better service on principle, mostly. If Google provides a better registrar, that's good for everybody. If some of its features or pricing put pressure on GoDaddy to match them, that's a good thing too.

Free anonymous registration is a good start. I'm also quite curious to see what kinds of web development tools they're talking about and hoping it's not just Blogger or the stuff I screwed around with a couple of years ago when my wife had to make a website for a college class.

Dreamhost and others already do free WHOIS privacy.

I'm not sure I trust Google to not fuck privacy up by doing something backwards like trying to tie domain registration to Google+.

patito

Postby patito » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:49 am

Free domain name with your google+ sign up!

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Google to start boosting PageRank for encrypted sites.

I think I can actually HEAR all the boners GoDaddy is currently popping from here.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Nitpick: HTTPS availability is a new ranking signal, not a PR boost.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Chrome Safe Browsing to start flagging downloads with crapware bundled with them. "Download Firefox (but also some crappy toolbar)", that kinda thing.

It's not clear from the article if they're going to go after first-party vendors, like, say, Flash being bundled with the Ask toolbar or whatever bullshit. But it would sure be nice.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Oh man, that'd be sweet. I almost didn't catch myself today when I had to update flash and Adobe tried to dump McAfee on me :rolleyes:

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:42 pm