Money in Politics

beatbandito

Re: Money in Politics

Postby beatbandito » Mon May 09, 2016 4:15 pm

(Update): A spokesperson from Isaac Herzog’s office reached out to Al-Masdar News on Monday to confirm that this quote was fabricated.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:38 am

The lawyer's name is Charlie Spies.

Are you fucking kidding me.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Between that and Koch's exec VP (Rich Fink) we're well into Strangelove territory with our character names.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:52 pm

The Guardian: Scott Walker, the John Doe files and how corporate cash influences American politics

Meanwhile, the big story of the day is Kurt Eichenwald's Newsweek cover story, How the Trump Organization's Foreign Business Ties Could Upend U.S. National Security.

I'm far too cynical to be surprised by any of this information, but I appreciate the thoroughness, and hope that it will have a positive impact.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:40 am

Dats a whole lotta documentation.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:52 pm

A different country for a change.

you may have seen news about a presidential corruption scandal in Korea. At first glance, that's nothing new. However, it turns out that the latest scandal is actually unprecedented in how straight up batshit looney-tunes it is.

At first, there was a tiny bit of perverse relief, as all the bizarre actions of Park Geun-hye administration suddenly began to make sense. Why did the president only hold just three press conferences in the first four years of her administration? Why does the president always speak in convoluted sentences that make no sense? Why did the president fly off the handle and sue the Japanese journalist who claimed that she was with Choi Soon-sil's husband while the ferry Sewol was sinking in 2014, drowning 300 school children? Why did the ruling party randomly host a shamanistic ritual in the halls of the National Assembly? Ohhhh, the relief went. Now it all makes sense.

But this brief relief soon gave way to the terrifying realization: actually, it does not make sense. None of this makes any sense.

In an ordinary case of political corruption, the politician is in it for himself. At most, the politician is doing it for his family, or other rich people who may end up helping him later. Obviously, corruption is bad. But this type of self-interested corruption at least gives some measure of predictability. We all know what self-interest looks like. Even though we would prefer that our politicians are not corrupt, at least we know how corrupt politicians behave.

But not with Park Geun-hye. Her corruption was not self-interested at all. If anything, her corruption was self-sacrificing in favor of Choi Soon-sil. Among the numerous revelations, I personally found this the most pathetic: Park Geun-hye gave Choi a sizable budget to purchase the presidential wardrobe, and Choi embezzled most of it. Instead of purchasing the clothes that befitted a head of state, Choi outfitted Park Geun-hye with crappy clothes that she had her cronies made with subpar material. There is a video of Choi's staff smoking and drinking while eating fried chicken, right next to the suit meant for Park Geun-hye. At one point, one of the staff members handled the suit without even wiping chicken grease from his hands, while breathing smoke onto the clothes. Park Geun-hye would wear this suit on her presidential visit with Xi Jinping. For accessories, Choi gave Park the cheap leather purses and clutches that her gigolo designed. This could not have possibly escaped Park's notice. Even assuming the unlikely possibility Park Geun-hye might not have had the discernment to know firsthand (unlikely because she grew up in the lap of luxury,) the obvious cheapness of Park's clothes and bags even made the news. Yet nothing came of it. Choi Soon-sil dressed Park Geun-hye liked an unwanted doll, and Park, the president of the country, did not care.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:43 pm

Oh good, one of those relieving Brexit "so it's not just America" moments followed by one of those terrifying Brexit "oh my God, it's not just America" moments.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:51 pm

But no one can expect that a corrupt politician would steal money for a daughter of a fucking psychic who claimed to speak with her dead mother.

Ooooooooh.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Park Geun-hye impeached.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Israeli Police recommending Bibi be indicted for corruption and bribery:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Money... and other things:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... 51089.html

The bill makes sexual harassment a crime, punishable by the Florida Commission on Ethics. It outlaws unwanted sexual advances by legislators, candidates for public office, agency employees and lobbyists. It imposes new penalties on violators, creates a new victims advocate in each agency, and bans the hiring of so-called “closers” — often young men and women retained by lobbying firms who may be expected to submit to sexual advances from lawmakers in the closing days of the legislative session.

In the House, a similar bill (HB 7007) was filed by Rep. Kristin Jacobs, D-Coconut Creek, and then added to a sweeping House ethics bill, that House leaders knew was unpopular with the Senate. The measure was passed unanimously by the full chamber on Thursday.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:26 am

So the usual suspects that like to claim all media as a liberal conspiracy against honest God fearin' folk see a smoking gun in Fox News and assorted fellow travellers funding Obama's 2012 re-election campaign. I'm guessing that's a single tree in a forest of contradictory evidence, but does anyone have the details?

What was up with that though? Did the conservatives just really hate Romney or were they already betting on the demagogue response to having a full term black President?

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:48 pm

New York attorney general files lawsuit to dissolve the National Rifle Association

(CNN) -- New York Attorney General Letitia James announced she will attempt to dissolve the National Rifle Association, accusing its senior leadership of violating laws governing non-profit groups, using millions from the organization's reserves for personal use and tax fraud.

In a news release Thursday morning, James, a Democrat, alleged that current and former NRA leadership "instituted a culture of self-dealing mismanagement" benefiting themselves, family, friends and favored vendors, leading the organization to lose more than $63 million in three years.

"The NRA's influence has been so powerful that the organization went unchecked for decades while top executives funneled millions into their own pockets," James said, adding that her office would be forwarding the complaint to the IRS.

The suit, filed in New York Supreme Court, names NRA executives including CEO and Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, General Counsel and Secretary John Frazer, former Chief Financial Officer Wilson "Woody" Phillips and former Chief of Staff and Executive Director of General Operations Josh Powell. James' office stated that while the NRA has headquarters in the Northern Virginia suburbs outside Washington, DC, the organization has operated as a New York-registered 501(c)(4) group since 1871.

The NRA and the NRA Foundation, a separate entity, were also sued Thursday in a separate case by Washington, DC, Attorney General Karl Racine, who alleges the foundation's board allowed the NRA to raid the foundation's reserves in order to address the NRA's cash flow problems, and fund the lavish expenses of its leadership.

François

Postby François » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:50 am

Ah, America. An organization promotes and profits from death and misery for a century and a half, but it's the embezzlement that gets it in trouble.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:11 am

François wrote:Ah, America. An organization promotes and profits from death and misery for a century and a half, but it's the embezzlement that gets it in trouble.

Nah, it's the embezzlement that motivated the promotion and profit from death and misery.

The NRA used to be a gun safety organization. Its transformation into a lobbying group for the gun manufacturers started in the 1970s, and while the membership is made up of true believers, the organization under LaPierre has always been about cynically manipulating them for personal gain. All the horrifying and divisive stuff the NRA has done for the past 30 years was done to line the leadership's pockets.

I don't think you can separate the NRA's horrifying behavior from the leadership's brazen corruption. The one exists to feed the other. Like much of the culture war, it was manufactured by cynics as a means of self-enrichment. (American social conservatives didn't care about abortion -- at least, the Protestant ones didn't -- until party operatives in the 1970s got the bright idea of making that a wedge issue, either.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:48 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:32 pm

OOOooooOOOooooh!