Jernalism!

Thad

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Thad » Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Silversong wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I do kind of feel like I want to give the benefit of the doubt on this one

Agreed, but the numbers also don't add up to 100%.

Yeah, even if you assume all of those numbers ended in ".5" and they rounded down, that would still only get you to 99.5.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm

In this episode the WaPo gets got!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:32 pm

A newspaper has printed a front-page correction after wrongly suggesting a woman’s 40th birthday meal had become a “booze-fuelled orgy with sex toys and candlesticks” in a dispute over chicken liver parfait.

The Northern Echo claimed a group of women had indulged in “lewd sexual behaviour, including passing around sex toys and taking part in sex acts with hotel candlesticks while climbing on restaurant tables and chairs”.

The press regulator Ipso decided the article was “significantly misleading”, following a complaint from one of the women at the party. She successfully argued that although two members of the group had imitated a sex scene with a candelabra – and another had used a unicorn horn to “imitate a sexual pose” – everyone involved had been fully clothed throughout, so the evening could not be described as an “orgy”.

The newspaper originally ran the story last September under the headline: “What really happened at Saltburn hotel at the centre of food poisoning claim.” This was in response to a complaint by the women that they had become ill after eating paté at Brockley Hall hotel on the North Yorkshire coast. Its report drew a link between the actions of the alleged “sex party” and the alleged food poisoning, which only affected that group of diners.

The Northern Echo argued its use of the word “orgy” was accurate, given the group had been “dancing on tables, drinking alcohol and using hotel property and other objects to imitate sexual activity”.

The newspaper also insisted it is “possible to engage in sexual activity without removing one’s clothes”. It cited the fact that “members of the party took it in turn to lie on their backs on a table in the room where they had been eating, while others rubbed a plastic item and candlestick between the person’s legs”.

The newspaper said the women then took turns to lick the item, “while other members of the party pushed plastic objects up their skirts”.

The Northern Echo also suggested this behaviour and the women’s drinking “may have been relevant to the way they handled, consumed and reacted to the food, as well as how they recollected the events of the night”.

Ipso disagreed and concluded the newspaper had published a “significantly misleading, prominent front-page headline” and ordered the correction.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:26 am

The sort of byline journalists wait their whole careers to write.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm

The utter contempt her voice drips with at the word "love" is unsurprising yet still staggering.

Never forget!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm

This is fucking disgusting.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Israel murders women and children, but guys, those women and children were part of a TERRORIST COALITION
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Dead woman and child found to have smoked pot sometime previously in lives
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:52 am

FiveThirtyEight had a pretty good chat last week titled How Can Journalists Prove They’re Not The Enemy?

In a nutshell: conservatives do not trust the New York Times because they are conservatives, and it is the New York Times. Liberals do not trust the New York Times because its decades of bending over backwards to appeal to conservatives have made it a demonstrably worse newspaper.

The people in the chat suggest that the best way to deal with this is to quit the damn both-siderism and look at facts, and to stop worrying about "ideological diversity" as an end in itself and instead realize that it will be the result of hiring reporters from a variety of backgrounds to report on their areas of expertise. ("From a variety of backgrounds" does not mean "Let's add another white male Republican to balance things out.")

Techdirt had a good article recently titled The View From Somewhere: The Press Needs To Be Anti-Partisan, Not Bi-Partisan; it referenced a piece by Dan Froomkin titled How the Los Angeles Times could beat the New York Times in Washington: By covering politics with a View From California instead of Nowhere. Both pieces note that reporting facts selectively, without context, is neither objective nor good journalism.

Dan Gillmor's got a piece called Dear Journalists, The War on What You Do Is Escalating that says much the same.

I remember an old Daily Show where the guests were Woodward and Bernstein. Bernstein talked, at length, about how journalists have given up offending people in power out of fear that they might lose access. It was hard not to read a "What the hell, Bob?" subtext to his criticisms.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Sounds like the short answer is "By not being the enemy."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Italian leader demands safe roads; bridge toll rises to 42

Okay... newsguys? Don't. Just don't.

This wasn't even a tabloid either; it was the Globe.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Twitter thread about Salena Zito, who interviewed elected Republicans and Republican donors while pretending they were lifelong democrats for a book and several articles, which were picked up all over the major papers.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:13 pm

"Globe editorial: John McCain was the right kind of Republican"

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:28 pm

There's no right kind of Republican anymore. There's a Conservative who does not associate with a blatantly racist and homophobic and transphobic and warmongering and and and and and and party, maybe.

Any "fiscally conservative" person who says that's why they're in the Republican party now is either staggeringly ignorant, in denial about what their party is, or complicit. (Or, some mix of all three, which probably describes the majority of them.) It's like Trump supporters, right? You might not be racist, or a woman molester, but you're fine supporting someone who is for the highest office in the world.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Wait, am I saying that I now consider people who identify as Republicans sort of the same as people who did and do identify as Nazis?

If you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said "no"!

Please note that I mean the Nazi party and people who were in the Nazi party. Not everyone in the Nazi party was an SS officer. They were just okay with SS officers putting small children into cages and raping them. Which I bring up as an example, because, you know.
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 am

If you told a rank and file Nazi soldier what the SS was getting up to they would A) not believe you and B) probably give you over to said SS, believing they had done a very good thing. All those rumors about camps and such that they heard they considered, ah, how do you say, reports that lack veracity.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:54 pm

There's actually quite a bit of argument about how much the average citizen and the average Wehrmacht soldier did and didn't know, on average during the war.

We do know that a lot of rumours and whispered stories were passed around - the organized murder of over six million people isn't something that just goes totally unobserved. At the same time, many German soldiers expressed genuine shock and horror when directly confronted with actual footage of the camps (huge numbers of German soldiers were forced to watch such footage by the Allied occupation forces, to prevent widespread claims disbelief... as well as to rub their noses in it), though this may have been down to the sheer level of horror and its being presented directly to them as stark film footage rather than as grapevine whispers.

Even when people didn't believe in the camps during the war, they certainly knew that people were disappearing, that there were internment camps of some sort, and that both prisoners of war and people targeted by the SS were being used as slave labour.

Wilful ignorance and rationalization are very, very powerful things.