Jernalism!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Teen Vogue publishes an extensive instructional piece on unions.

Teen Vogue as one of the best journalism outfits in the country. And this isn't even the first time, IIRC.

(Oh and also the Philadelphia Flyers new mascot has somehow become an antifa/labour mascot. Even though the Flyers are siding with management over labour in the Boston hotel strike).

Strange days.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:10 am

... wow

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 am

But wait! There's more!

But wait! There's even more!

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:44 am

Jane Mayer's longread, The Making of the Fox News White House, has been making the rounds.

For as big and as thorough as it is, I'm kind of baffled that the phrase "Bush Administration" only appears once; it's not as if Fox News were any less in the tank for Bush than it is for Trump. But that's not really the point of the article; the point is just how much worse it's gotten -- say what you will about Bush (and I have), but at least he wasn't making policy decisions based on something he just saw on Fox and Friends, or calling Sean Hannity up every night.

Mayer suggests that, for as awful as guys like Ailes and O'Reilly were, they at least paid some small amount of care to the appearance of journalistic independence. That's not a defense of them as men; the article reminds us of just why Ailes and O'Reilly were fired, and quotes Greta Van Susteren as saying, "It's like what happens when a dictator falls. If you look historically, when you get rid of a Saddam in Iraq, or a Qaddafi in Libya, the place falls apart."

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:53 pm

I think "the Fox News White House" part of that title is less about the fact that Fox News is in the tank for the current White House (which I think it's arguably less so than it was for the Bush admin), and more about the fact that the current White House being in the tank for Fox News.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:07 pm

"Ontario Government to Legalize Tailgating"

*clicks on article*

"Ontario Government to Legalize Tailgate Parties"

Oh fuck you, Globe.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:46 pm

What is up with your local lexicon that that isn't called 'tailgating'. I have literally never heard anyone add 'parties' to the end of tailgating.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Joxam wrote:What is up with your local lexicon that that isn't called 'tailgating'. I have literally never heard anyone add 'parties' to the end of tailgating.

Well, notice that the article is talking about legalizing them. So as you might infer, they're a bit less common around here (though they still happen, just without booze).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Joxam wrote:What is up with your local lexicon that that isn't called 'tailgating'. I have literally never heard anyone add 'parties' to the end of tailgating.

Well, as you might infer from the fact that they're being legalized, they're a bit less common around here (though they still happen, just without booze).

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Well, as you could guess from the legalization of them, they're a bit less common around here (though they still happen, just without booze).

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Well, if you could read a single blistering word, guy, they're a bit less common around here (though they still happen, just without booze).

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm just here for the memes (though they still happen, just without booze).

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Univision sells Gawker's shambling corpse to private equity firm

AV Club is already a lost cause, but man, watching the vultures pick apart the Onion is going to sting.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Grath wrote:I'm just here for the memes (though they still happen, just without booze).

The important thing is that we're posting (with or without booze).

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 am

Thad wrote:Univision sells Gawker's shambling corpse to private equity firm

AV Club is already a lost cause, but man, watching the vultures pick apart the Onion is going to sting.

Oof.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:04 pm

are you fucking kidding me economist

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:36 pm

Jake Tapper wrote:Washington (CNN) -- President Donald Trump told Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan he would grant McAleenan a pardon if he were sent to jail for having border agents block asylum seekers from entering the US in defiance of US law, senior administration officials tell CNN.

Trump reportedly made the comment during a visit to the border at Calexico, California, a week ago. It was not clear if the comment was a joke.

Dear Mr. Tapper,

There is a typo in your recent article "Trump told CBP head he'd pardon him if he were sent to jail for violating immigration law".

In the second paragraph, you seem to have misspelled "This is an impeachable offense" as "It was not clear if the comment was a joke."

Sincerely,

Someone who's pretty goddamn sure Trump's not joking when he says he'll pardon somebody who violated a court order against discriminating against brown-skinned people
Maricopa County

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Someday I am going to have a brain aneurysm. Blood will just burst forth from my forehead in a fine red mist and splatter the computer screen in front of me*.

On that screen will be a news article about Donald Trump.

The thing that killed me will not be Trump's latest act of cruelty and criminality. It will be the Fake Lying Enemy of the People News Media bending over backwards to spin it as maybe possibly not so bad.

* It is possible that I do not actually know what an aneurysm is.