Jernalism!

Grath

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Grath » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:54 am

Gawker became "and nothing of value was lost" when, in this trial, they defended publishing the sex tape of an underage celebrity, drawing the line at "under four years old".

Cait

Postby Cait » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:00 pm

From what I've read, the appeals court that will hear it has already proven sympathetic to Gawker in an earlier related hearing on the Hogan tapes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Ken White has an op-ed over at the LA Times called Go ahead and hate Gawker, but don't cheer its downfall. He makes the reasonable point that this is a case of a billionaire shutting down a media source that pissed him off through the power of having more money than they did, and even if that media source was a slimy, amoral tabloid, the ends don't justify the means.

I'm still of the opinion that (1) the guilty verdict was reasonable but (2) the award was grossly disproportionate. Ken's op-ed hasn't changed my mind on that, but he has raised the salient point that the verdict may be beside the point, that even if Gawker had won Thiel still could have destroyed them through perpetual litigation.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Can't really get too excited either way; one the one hand, I can't be glad that we live in a framework in which the only apparent way to bring down something vile is to be rich and throw your money at it. On the other hand, it is nice that someone rich did actually throw their money at bringing down something vile for once instead of just turning it into an ever bigger shitball.

And then the whole thing comes down to, as much as he states publicly that it was never about revenge, it was really obviously totally about revenge.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:59 am

Brentai wrote:On the other hand, it is nice that someone rich did actually throw their money at bringing down something vile for once instead of just turning it into an ever bigger shitball.

Dude's a delegate for Trump. I'm not inclined to sing his praises for making the world a better place.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:48 pm

Good job, CNN!

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:21 pm

That ol' Tricky Dick.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:19 pm

The headless clone of Spiro Agnew could not be reached for comment.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:49 pm

ComicsAlliance does a daily tribute to some figure from comics history. Al Capp's name came across my feed the other day, and I thought, "Ooh, how does a socially responsible site like ComicsAlliance handle the delicate balance between Capp's beloved work and his total reprehensibility as a human being?"

I was a little surprised to discover the answer was "like this":

Benito Cereno wrote:Near the end of his life, Capp also found himself embroiled in scandal and a decline in popularity.

...the fuck?

A single sentence at the end of the article alluding to "scandal" is a pretty fucking blase way to describe widespread allegations of serial rape.

Jesus, ComicsAlliance. I think somebody needs to revoke your SJW card.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:49 pm

Hitler’s style was very calculated when representing architecture in his paintings. Instead of progressing in his artistic influence, his works copied the artists of the nineteenth century and many of the masters preceding him. He claimed to be the synthesis of many artistic movements but it is clear that he drew primarily from Greco-Roman classicism, the Italian Renaissance, and Neo-Classicism. He liked the technical ability of these artists, as well as the understandable symbolism. Rudolf von Alt was his greatest “teacher”, as he called him. There is similar use in color and subject matter between the two, but Alt displays fantastical landscapes giving equal—if not more—attention to nature and the surrounding environment than the architecture.

Near the end of his life, Hitler also found himself embroiled in scandal and a decline in popularity.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:59 pm

I'd have gone with Bill Cosby, but I suppose that might be too obvious. (It's the obvious retort if anyone says "Capp was never convicted of anything but adultery," seeing as Cosby hasn't been convicted of anything yet either.)

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:45 pm

Yeah, I just wanted to go full Godwin with it.

Seriously, though, I'm resoundingly unimpressed with CA right now. That was tone deaf to the point of parody. And I like the guy's work before it turned into the ravings of a complete asshole. Life and Times of the Schmoo is still one of my favorite books, but I can't recommend it to anyone without a preamble warning that the guy was basically an ambulatory pile of fucking garbage.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:12 am

I'd have left a comment, but they changed their comments section after the buyout so now you can't comment without a Facebook account.

My inability to participate in the ComicsAlliance comments section has improved my life considerably.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Ooh, I've got one: do Bob Wood next.

Near the end of his life, Wood also found himself embroiled in scandal and a decline in popularity.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:27 am

NYT: Megyn Kelly’s Pivotal Moment in a Post-Ailes Era at Fox News

I expect everybody's heard by now that Newt Gingrich -- one of the people responsible for attempting to impeach a President over a blowjob, mind -- accused her of being "fascinated with sex" when she asked about the allegations against Trump.

Kelly's become one of maybe three people at Fox News who I respect (along with Chris Wallace and Shep Smith). And yeah, it's because she's not a cheerleader; she's willing to call bullshit bullshit -- and, perhaps more to the point, she's willing to call misogyny misogyny. I don't always agree with her, but she's a lot smarter and has a lot more integrity than most of the other people on the station. (And that's before we get into the appalling behavior she's had to put up with among her male peers and superiors to get this far.)

The NYT article does what others have and frames post-Ailes Fox News as a battle between the Hannity/O'Reilly wing and the Megyn Kelly wing of the network. (O'Reilly and Kelly both have their contracts coming up shortly, while Hannity's has a clause giving him a window where he can quit since Ailes was removed.)

Hard to say what happens from here. It does look like Trump and Bannon are exploring the possibility of starting a rival conservative TV station, but as I've expressed elsewhere, I'm skeptical that they can get one off the ground. (Trump and Ailes are reportedly no longer speaking.)

Hard to predict what the Murdochs, Kelly, O'Reilly, and Hannity will do in the coming months. I'd sure like to see more sane Republicans in the national discourse.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 pm

The "fake news" meme is troubling. There's a lot to unpack and I don't have time to write as much about it as I'd like, but I think it boils down to these points:

The term is too vague, and can be applied to too many things. While I'll never forgive what Judith Miller did during the runup to Iraq, calling that "fake news" and also calling websites set up deliberately to look like the NBC site and populated by stories that are entirely fictional and made up from whole cloth "fake news" suggests that the two things are equivalent. They're not. They're not even close.

Rational skepticism of the media and the government is healthy; a populace that dismisses stories out of hand because they don't like them is not.

To some extent, this is self-inflicted; the MSM are terrible and have spent decades harming their own credibility. That doesn't make the situation we're in now any better.

And of course there's another problem: when you've got people talking about the scourge of fake news harming the public, it gives lawmakers -- both here and in countries that don't have a First Amendment -- an excuse to crack down on the press. This is not a good thing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 pm

guys i am laughing like

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Wow, that is a step up even for Fox fucking News.

WHO DID IT?

-------------------------------------------------------------FOX NEWS-------------------------HITLER------------------------------THAD
Sucked a lot of dick
Huge amounts of dick
Massive, throbbing dicks
Is fine with torture
Banned Guild, and like, everyone else, all the time
ImageImageImage