Jernalism!


User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 pm

The Intercept: A terrorist tried to bomb a US airport in order to start a war last week and it went almost entirely unreported.

I am growing increasingly concerned that mainstream US news outlets are actually outright siding with white supremacists (which would be a return to the historical standard, I suppose...).
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Guess who else wants to fight the mayor of San Juan?

Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Meanwhile, over at Fox News...

Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Fox is just a font of hilarity today:



In less amusing news, they have also essentially telegraphed to Trump that if he fires Mueller, they will back him to the hilt and propagandize it in Trump's favour, 24h a day.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:39 pm

GQ wrote:An earlier version of this article used a headline noting that Trump had publicly called for the death penalty in the New York attack, but not the Las Vegas shooting in particular. That discrepancy is probably related to the fact that the Las Vegas shooter is dead. We regret the error.
Image


User avatar
Thad
Posts: 5575
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 pm

DNAinfo and Gothamist vote to unionize; owner shuts them down.

Apropos of nothing, it's illegal to lay people off for unionizing.

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 pm

USA Today's brief (one and a half minutes) educational video about the AR-556, its variants, and their respective upgrades.

You'll know it when you see it.

(unless USA today takes this down - but it's probably everywhere by now)
Image

User avatar
Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 2083
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Brentai » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:02 pm

It was intentional, and actually pretty brilliant. Once the sneering dies down it will eventually sink into the public consciousness that this is an actual thing.

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:09 pm

You'll know it when you see it.


Nope!

I am thoroughly confused by what you mean.

Unless you mean "you'll know that you saw the video when you see the video" in which case you wouldn't have bothered to write that, so I'm missing something.

Since this is the fourth? Fifth? time a poster on the boards has completely missed the "obvious" thing you seem to be linking, perhaps you should end this kind/style of post.
Image

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Here, I'll clarify what I saw, so that there's absolutely nothing left to ask me before you clarify what the fuck you wanted me to see.

I saw an anti-gun video about the AR-15, detailing the possible mods it could have and then the mods used by the shooter.
Image

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 pm

And to be clear, also, Mongrel, yes, this is me calling you out on a specific behavior that you do that irritates me: namely: you post something, refuse to clarify what the fuck you're talking about, someone or someones doesn't get it, and then we do this little dance. It's irritating and I want you to stop the behavior.

That being said, I still like you and everything, I just don't like that you keep doing this.
Image

User avatar
beatbandito
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

Re: Jernalism!

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Mongrel has the Dark Souls of posts.
Image

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:41 pm

He does tend to end a lot of his posts with trailing laughter.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Well, I'm not trying to do a clickbait thing here, but when I post like that it's a specific intent and reason. There's a reveal or punchline which is robbed of all humour or interest if you just lay it out blandly from the beginning. It's no fun if I'm just some sort of re-linking bot.

It's basically for the same reason that explaining a joke kills it. Now, sometimes we don't get a joke - but here's there thing: That's perfectly okay. There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't get it".

The way I look at it is that if a few people don't get a joke, but most do, that's still a net gain. And maybe I don't always make it, maybe I think it's funnier than it is - I'm not Conan O'Brian. But I like to try and provide you guys with moments of laughter or genuine surprise.

In any case, I'm actually kind of surprised that you didn't notice it, given you live in the countryside and while (IIRC) you don't use guns regularly or at all, you'd at least be familiar enough with them to know how absurd a chainsaw bayonet is (and I don't mean this in a sarcastic "pfff YOU didn't GET IT?!" way... I'm honestly and legitimately surprised as to how you - or most anyone really - would get a mental image of a chainsaw bolted to a gun and thinking "Sure. Makes sense.")
Image

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Joxam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:54 pm

Friday wrote:And to be clear, also, Mongrel, yes, this is me calling you out on a specific behavior that you do that irritates me: namely: you post something, refuse to clarify what the fuck you're talking about, someone or someones doesn't get it, and then we do this little dance. It's irritating and I want you to stop the behavior.

That being said, I still like you and everything, I just don't like that you keep doing this.


Been saying this forever. Last time he interpreted it as me calling him racist.
Image

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Joxam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 pm

Mongrel wrote:Well, I'm not trying to do a clickbait thing here, but when I post like that it's a specific intent and reason. There's a reveal or punchline which is robbed of all humour or interest if you just lay it out blandly from the beginning. It's no fun if I'm just some sort of re-linking bot.

It's basically for the same reason that explaining a joke kills it. Now, sometimes we don't get a joke - but here's there thing: That's perfectly okay. There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't get it".

The way I look at it is that if a few people don't get a joke, but most do, that's still a net gain. And maybe I don't always make it, maybe I think it's funnier than it is - I'm not Conan O'Brian. But I like to try and provide you guys with moments of laughter or genuine surprise.

In any case, I'm actually kind of surprised that you didn't notice it, given you live in the countryside and while (IIRC) you don't use guns regularly or at all, you'd at least be familiar enough with them to know how absurd a chainsaw bayonet is (and I don't mean this in a sarcastic "pfff YOU didn't GET IT?!" way... I'm honestly and legitimately surprised as to how you - or most anyone really - would get a mental image of a chainsaw bolted to a gun and thinking "Sure. Makes sense.")


I mean except that they're real and can be mounted to any gun with a standard picatinny rail. America is fucking weird man.
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 pm

Joxam wrote:
Friday wrote:And to be clear, also, Mongrel, yes, this is me calling you out on a specific behavior that you do that irritates me: namely: you post something, refuse to clarify what the fuck you're talking about, someone or someones doesn't get it, and then we do this little dance. It's irritating and I want you to stop the behavior.

That being said, I still like you and everything, I just don't like that you keep doing this.


Been saying this forever. Last time he interpreted it as me calling him racist.

Stop that. >:[
Image

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 8807
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 am

Joxam wrote:I mean except that they're real and can be mounted to any gun with a standard picatinny rail. America is fucking weird man.

I see that my error in this case is again imagining there's some sort of floor for the insanity of America.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bal, McDohl and 3 guests