Walmart

Thad

Walmart

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Well, I know the last time we talked about Walmart ended in some guy declaring a lifelong vendetta against me because Kazz threatened to ban him, but I'm willing to risk it.

Tracy Morgan sues Walmart, alleging that the company's demands on drivers lead to unsafe situations and, in this case, a fatal accident.

I think he's in the right on this one. Walmart violated safety standards.

Blossom

Re: Walmart

Postby Blossom » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Walmart is certainly not making the situation better, but that this was a Walmart truck is sort of incidental. It's more a thing of all truckers being forced into unsafe driving habits as a condition of their employment.

Senator Susan Collins slipped an amendment into an appropriations bill suspending for one year a rule limiting truckers to 70-hour work weeks, with a mandatory 34-hour “re-start” once they hit that threshold. Under the amendment, the law would revert to an 82-hour workweek.

To be clear, working 70 hours a week with a mandatory break only after 34 consecutive hours of work is the regulated safe condition that they're pulling back from. Never ever be a trucker. There's a reason they've got a suicide rate 200x the national average.