Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Cali-Forn-I-A is a few burgers short of a barbecue

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:13 pm

I thought Friday IS the mountain lion.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:28 pm

mostly linking for the bottom half

And Trump visiting explains the spike in the air pollution index, I guess.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 pm

ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:12 pm

xD

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 pm

You gotta take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forest, very important... I was with the President of Finland... he called it a forest nation and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things and they don't have any problem.

I love the fact that you recognize instantly and exactly who said this without the least attribution.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 pm

and the man there standing with him, Doug LaMalfa, District 1's congressional rep, who just won re-election 56 to 44, voted to reduce fire safety funding.
ImageImageImage

Bal

Postby Bal » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:21 pm

I hope he's ready to be killed.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:37 pm

...Trump referred to Paradise CA mistakenly as "Pleasure." Twice.

I don't think I can resist the urge to just shake someone really really hard.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Bal wrote:I hope he's ready to be killed.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Mr Trump also insisted he had not changed his mind on climate change after visiting the town in northern California.

“I have a strong opinion,” he said. “I want great climate, we are going to have that and we are going to have forests that are very safe.”

“We’ve got to take care of the floors, you know the floors of the forest, very important,” he said. “You look at other countries where they do it differently and it’s a whole different story. I was with the president of Finland and he said … we’re a forest nation, he called it a forest nation, and they spend a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things. They don’t have any problem, and what it is, it’s a very small problem.”
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:03 am

Friday, I'm reading through this right now. This is insane. I'm so glad you're alright, holy shit. I had no idea you were going through this nightmare.

Don't usually read this thread, thought it was all about California politics.

Friday wrote:The good news is a friend of my friend finally got in contact with him, he'd been forced to evac out the back way (up through Inskip) after having to shelter for awhile in town and his phone was out of charge.

Thank christ.

Friday wrote:I've heard stories of people who had to take shelter in creeks while everything burned down around them, dunking their hair in the water to prevent embers from lighting it on fire.

Friday wrote:The thing about this fire was that it was fast. Absolutely perfect fire conditions and winds of up to 50mph just whipped this thing into a frenzy. A lot of people (and I may have been among them if not for Esper) didn't have any idea what was going on until it was already in their backyards and the trees overhead.

Friday wrote:It's still unbelievable to me that Paradise is just gone. It's like someone dropped a fucking bomb on it.

This is utterly unreal to read. I'm sorry this is happening and I'm sorry our leaders are fucking manchildren.

I'm 100% behind the idea of the forum raising money to held you get through this, if you need anything.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 am

I'm okay. We had (unlike a lot of the victims) insurance, so. I may be moving soon.

It's sort of a long story, but either we buy a house in Chico, Oregon (Ashland), Seattle, or even Hawaii.

A lot of people here have offered to help out if I need anything and it's great to know you guys are there for me. I managed to save my tower, some of my mtg cards, and my dog before I got the fuck out.

Lost everything else, including my brand new ps4, but thems the breaks. I went out and bought some new clothes and some other stuff. A lot of what I lost was sentimental irreplaceable shit, like pictures and stuff my mom kept around from when my brother and I were kids.

Current dead stands at 79. 700 still missing.

From the wikipedia article:

On November 10, President Donald Trump falsely[47][48][49][50][51] blamed poor forest management by the state of California as the cause of recent wildfires in the state, including the Camp Fire and the concurrent Woolsey Fire in Southern California. In a tweet, he threatened to end federal assistance unless the state improves its "gross mismanagement of the forests."[52] Trump elaborated on his claims in an interview with Chris Wallace and during his trip to Paradise, stating that "you've got to take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forest – very important" and that "[Finland] spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things and they don't have any problem."[53] Finnish president Sauli Niinistö was baffled by Trump's assertions and denied they had ever talked about raking, leading to an internet phenomenon of Finnish people sharing photos of themselves raking forests. Trump also misstated the name of the city of Paradise, California, during a visit there, calling it "Pleasure" twice during a press conference with officials.[54]
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:07 am

ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Friday wrote:
Finnish president Sauli Niinistö was baffled by Trump's assertions and denied they had ever talked about raking, leading to an internet phenomenon of Finnish people sharing photos of themselves raking forests.

I had not heard about this. This is wonderful.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:31 pm

The faithful will of course share these photos as proof that he was right all along.

Postby Newbie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Goddamn, this is a nightmare scenario. Is there a region on this husk of a planet that we can't make completely unlivable through our corrupt systems of power? I'm so sorry you've had this inflicted on you, Friday.
tiny text

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Arizona, while it may be argued is a form of nightmare naturally, is a stable nightmare on solid bedrock. No earthquakes, very little to burn down.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Bal wrote:Arizona, while it may be argued is a form of nightmare naturally, is a stable nightmare on solid bedrock. No earthquakes, very little to burn down.

Yeah, because it's a blasted hellscape already and nobody sane would live there.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Friday wrote:
Mr Trump also insisted he had not changed his mind on climate change after visiting the town in northern California.

“I have a strong opinion,” he said. “I want great climate, we are going to have that and we are going to have forests that are very safe.”

“We’ve got to take care of the floors, you know the floors of the forest, very important,” he said. “You look at other countries where they do it differently and it’s a whole different story. I was with the president of Finland and he said … we’re a forest nation, he called it a forest nation, and they spend a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things. They don’t have any problem, and what it is, it’s a very small problem.”

Why am I reminded of Ronald Reagan's assertion that trees cause more pollution than cars?