California Screamin: All the leaves are ash, and the skies are too

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

California Screamin: All the leaves are ash, and the skies are too

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 pm

TedBelmont

Re: Cali-Forn-I-A is a few burgers short of a barbecue

Postby TedBelmont » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 pm

To be fair, the campaign to get it on the ballot was entirely conceived, driven, and funded by ONE GUY. And people will sign just about anything if you phrase it right. Or pay them.

Postby Newbie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:44 am

I don't hate the idea. Establishing Silicon Valley as a state unto itself makes me want to vomit a little, though.

More seriously, there's this guy from my Facebook feed:

Greg Weed: The plan screws over three, possibly four, of the six states here - the ones not represented by a major city. Major city taxes subsidize much of lesser-earning regions of the state. Those in Jefferson, North California, and Central California would essentially become Arkansas 2, 3, and 4. South California might fare a little better, but San Diego doesn't have a major industry to support itself.
tiny text

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 am

I liked the guy who pointed out that this supposedly means "Oh boy, more democrat senators!" until several people pointed out that at least two of those proposed states would almost certainly turn into GOP Strongholds.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 am

It's easy to forget that California was reliably Republican (at least as far as voting for President) as recently as 1988.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:46 pm

it's easy for me to remember Cali is republican

because I live in the northstate

and with the exception of Chico, the northstate is one gigantic Rodeo
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 am

Evanier is correct as usual:

This is never going to happen even if somehow the people of California can be hustled into voting for it. But a lot of time and money will be wasted campaigning for and against it and voting and there will probably be loads of legal challenges to this or that aspect of it in our courts. If this were an E.C. horror comic, it would all end with the guy behind it being split into six separate parts.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:19 pm

Took a drive up I5 to Mt. Shasta a few days ago. Road goes right over Shasta Lake.

Or, you know, what's fucking left of it.

About a month ago, my local reservoir, Lake Oroville, made the front page of Imgur, featuring pictures from 2011 vs 2014.

Shasta was worse.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:21 pm

If I die before I wake, I pray to god to fucking fine people still watering their goddamn lawns
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:25 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:47 pm

California man wants to submit ballot proposition that people be allowed to execute sexually active gays and lesbians, and - as it turns out - it appears there's no legal mechanism preventing this from being submitted as a ballot option.

Now it's, shall we say, un-fucking-likely that this guy would get the signatures needed for it to be on the ballot as a proposition at all, let along coming anywhere close to passing. But uh, this is a little embarrassing (not to mention being a huge waste of money)!

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:50 pm

And then it passed.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:14 pm

At the very least it would come uncomfortably close. Your typical midstater's fascination with homophobia and executions [edit edit edit edit] what I'm saying is that California Conservatives are terrible.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:45 pm

The most fascinating bit to me is the knowledge that there exists a UC Davis professor named Floyd F. Feeney.

I hope every single one of McLaughlin's clients learns every detail of this story.

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:59 pm

hey this dude's apparently in Huntington Beach somewhere.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat May 02, 2015 4:59 am

so in case anyone missed this, 25% reduction is household use of water as mandated by the governor.

I dunno. Another dry winter is going to seriously harm the 8th largest economy in the world. That is going to have consequences on a global stage.
ImageImageImage

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Sat May 02, 2015 9:52 am

THIS POST REMOVED FOR INSUFFICIENT CONTEXT

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 02, 2015 11:06 am

Man, whatever happened to Lockheed-Martin figuring out how to make desalinization cheap? I know it takes time for things like that to go through development and reach market, and building plants would take time too, but you'd think California would be all over that shit considering how long "water problems" have been a facet of Californian life.

EDIT: Looks like L-M is aiming to start manufacture this year.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat May 02, 2015 11:28 am

Does that apply to industry/farming/Nestlé too? Because that seems like an important point that no one seems to be addressing.

Not farming, they already took a hit with irrigation.

I'm not saying the world can't adapt to 80% less almonds. (Yes, California grows 80% of the world's almonds. Yes, it takes ridiculous amounts of water - something like 1,900 gallons per pound, compared to say, tomatoes, which take 26 gallons per pound - to grow almonds. Yes, because of the drought causing farmers to lose money, they are doubling down on almonds - an extremely lucrative crop, far more lucrative than normal veggies - during the worst drought in half a century.)

I live in Butte County (get it out of your system now - my favorite is "I like Butte County and I cannot lie") which produces 80% of California's almonds. So more than half the world's almonds come from here. Drive any direction out of Chico and you will go through endless orchards of almonds. (Or "A'monds" as some people I know proudly say) At least here, we're not planting them in a desert and pumping the water to them, there's an underground Aquifer. South of us, in the mid-valley, it's another story.

Let me put it another way: Almonds, and Almonds alone, use 10% of California's water.

Of course, it costs something like 500 gallons of water to make a stick of butter. If you want to end the drought, stop global warming in its tracks, and completely destroy the global economy, there's no better way than to wave a magic wand and delete every cow and/or make everyone a vegetarian. Meat accounts for 30% of the worldwide water usage.

But meat isn't a delicacy, it's a staple.

We are also the last state in the union to not regulate groundwater pumping, resulting in farmers drilling for, you guessed it, water. There are places where the land has sunken dozens of feet due to removal of groundwater.

tl;dr: for some reason people don't understand that a drought this serious in California doesn't only affect California

also almonds are gay and calling them a'monds/a'mons is gayer
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat May 02, 2015 11:48 am

Water usage in Cali:

Agriculture: 80% (not touched by 25% mandate)
Home/Non Agriculture Business: 20% (reduction of water usage by mandate: 5%)

Demand of almonds is still increasing despite amount of acres used for almonds in California increasing from just over 400 thousand to more than 850 thousand over the last 20 years

A lot of the demand comes from, you guessed it, Asia

Value of california almond harvest in 1995: 881 million

Value in 2012: 4,817 million (4.8 billion)
ImageImageImage