California Screamin: All the leaves are ash, and the skies are too

Thad

Re: California Screamin: All the leaves are ash, and the skies are too

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:11 pm

Calif. lawyer resigns “in protest,” points to Newsom “interference” in Activision case

One of the main lawyers in California's ongoing discrimination and harassment case against Activision Blizzard has resigned, citing "interference" by the office of Governor Gavin Newsom.

Bloomberg reports that Melanie Proctor, the assistant chief counsel for California’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), said in a resignation email Tuesday that Newsom's office "repeatedly demanded advance notice of litigation strategy and of next steps in the litigation." That interference, which Proctor says increased with her agency's "wins" in state court, "mimick[ed] the interests of Activision’s counsel," Proctor wrote.

The resignation letter noted that Chief Counsel Janette Wipper previously combatted this interference by "attempt[ing] to protect" the agency's autonomy to prosecute, but Proctor alleges that her efforts directly led to Wipper being "abruptly terminated." In response, Proctor filed her own resignation notice on Wednesday—which she claims is "in protest of the interference and Janette's termination."

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:24 pm

I had a low opinion of Newsom already, but this is still a punch in the gut.
I'd been giving him credit for going after ActiBlizz on this shit, but it turns out it was a rogue op he was actively undermining the whole time.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri May 27, 2022 4:09 pm

Man, we have a primary election in like a week? Guess we better do my homework.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri May 27, 2022 4:44 pm

I remember back when Gavin was mayor I hitched a ride from a dude in a dune buggy going to the tenderloin and he turned on a PA system and the whole way was shouting shit like "VOTE FOR ME. I'M GRASSHOPPER. GAVIN NEWSOM'S DEAD. BECAUSE I KILLED HIM. I'M AN AXE MURDERER. VOTE FOR GRASSHOPPER."

Anyway don't look at me I voted for grasshopper.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri May 27, 2022 9:09 pm

Yoji wrote:Man, we have a primary election in like a week? Guess we better do my homework.

Not sure exactly how much of this will work well for you, but here's a DSA voter information guide for the LA area:
https://dsa-la.org/2022-dsa-la-primary-voter-guide/

And here's a something for the statewide stuff: https://leftunityslate.org
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat May 28, 2022 2:05 am

I did my duty and voted against Doug LaMalfa, our congress rep and a bloated shitsack of a human being who has voted lockstep with Trump and the GOP since he became my rep in 2013. Oh, and he's also one of the 139.

He won by 14 points 2 years ago against Audrey Denney, a teacher and decent human being as far as I could tell who spent a shitload of money and had a ton of signs and ads. His opponent this time is Max Steiner, a self-described "moderate" democrat who nonetheless talks a good enough talk that I think he might just be labeling himself that because he thinks he has to in order to get the rodeo around here to vote for him. Who knows.

But he doesn't have any money, so no ads and no sign blitz.

Also an Asian woman named Rose Penelope Yee under the Independent flag and I would love for her more progressive attitude to get in there, but of course we live in First Past the Post hell, so I had to vote for Max.

I voted Newsom over my preferred Berniecrat I voted for last time in the recall, because again, FPTP hell. Most of the time if a dem had the position and was running again I just tossed a vote their way. The only exception was School, who while the sitting guy had a good blurb, one of the other dems Marco Amaral impressed me so much in his blurb that I gave him my vote.

I'd like to thank the GOP for becoming such an incredibly vile party that I can just safely vote for the democrat if only one is on the ballet, no reading or research required.
ImageImageImage

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sat May 28, 2022 1:53 pm

The Dems are running a protection racket and the GOP are the thugs they send if you don't pay up.

Postby Newbie » Sat May 28, 2022 3:44 pm

Brentai wrote:The Dems are running a protection racket and the GOP are the thugs they send if you don't pay up.

This is the best summary of modern American politics that I've ever seen.
tiny text

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:27 pm

Well hey, we've almost made it all the way through July without a...

Nevermind.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:53 am

Yeah August in when I now live in fear, and I don't stop until December. Honestly wishing COVID didn't make my mom abandon her moving plans, because living in Bellingham or Hawaii is looking better and better every smoke filled year.

Oh well! At least this way I can avoid people asking me where I'm from and then making a face when I tell them.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:35 am

Source

I'm just going to keep posting about how California fucking rules despite all the fires until every single American who has ever shit on California is forced to set themselves on fire as a last ditch measure to avoid saying "wow, I guess California is okay. Maybe I was wrong to consider it some sort of comical hellhole and the people who live there complete idiots."
ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:14 am

Stop sending shitty Californians to Texas and I'll quit being mean to California
signature

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:18 am

amusingly, over the last two years, all of the shitty Trumper Californians I know have shifted their endless whining from "I'm gonna move to Texas" to "I'm gonna move to Idaho" and I have no guess why except I guess they saw the fact that Texas doesn't have, you know, electricity
ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:23 am

Probably because Boise is cheap land and on average a fairly sizeable metro, plus easy access to the good states and Montana
signature

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:22 pm

But also it has electricity.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:36 pm

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:47 pm

We have electricity! Just periodically we have to - I don't want to use the word "ration" because this is a free market solution and the free market doesn't result in "rationining" - but instead we have to... refrain from using more than the minimum amount needed to stay alive to prevent the grid from being overtaxed because the amount of electricity generated is scarce or something. Not rationing, is the point
signature

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm

Look. Sometimes Greg has to turn it off so we don't forget how good we've got it. He's taking away the power cord until we behave.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:16 pm

"Do not, my friends, become addicted to electricity. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!"

atog

Postby atog » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:03 pm

Cowboy A: You got Texas in my Californ-ay-eh! *empties prospecting pan full of horned toads in disgust*

Cowboy B: Eww, you got California all over my Texas! *takes off bandanna, starts wiping glitter nail polish off panhandle*

Cowboy C, played by Buddy Ebsen, sidles up to A and B in his rolling saddlesore gait. "I say, what's up fellas?"
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole