Arizona is a blasted hellscape

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Arizona is a blasted hellscape

Postby Joxam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:13 pm

She did the right thing, even if she only did it so Arizona didn't lose next year's Super Bowl.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:33 am

Hey, why do you think we recognize Martin Luther King Day?

I'm being flippant but that's actually relevant. This time next year Jan's going to be retired, and if she ever makes another headline after that it'll be of the "Fife Symington is going to culinary school!" variety. She's probably thinking about her legacy.

So, back to Martin Luther King Day: all anyone remembers about Evan Mecham is that he's the governor who refused to recognize it. As it is, Brewer's most lasting legacy is going to be SB1070. History is going to judge her harshly, and she deserves it.

But after today, maybe it will judge her a little less harshly. And I suppose she deserves that, too.

But only a little. This doesn't even begin to make up for SB1070. It just prevents state-approved bigotry from getting even worse.

Cait

Postby Cait » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 am

Isn't this after her spending three days being coy about "I don't know if I'm going to veto this or not, let's see how the optics look before I decide?"

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Of course it is. Politicians can't act like they have an opinion on anything unless they think they can get away with it.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm cynical enough to just view this as paving the way for less public abuses, the same way that nobody seemed to pay attention after SOPA was defeated.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:57 am

I enjoy that she's stamping her signature.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:37 am

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Why are all of the gays hell-bent on ruining my freedom?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Relevant: How to Determine If Your Religious Liberty Is Being Threatened in Just 10 Quick Questions, by Reverend Emily Heath, United Church of Christ.

2. My religious liberty is at risk because:

A) I am not allowed to marry the person I love legally, even though my religious community blesses my marriage.
B) Some states refuse to enforce my own particular religious beliefs on marriage on those two guys in line down at the courthouse.

HT: Evanier

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Current Superintendent of Schools caught using sockpuppet accounts to call poor people "lazy pigs" and compare Darwin, Sanger, and FDR to Hitler; previous Superintendent of Schools/Current AG investigated for campaign finance violations.

A twofer! Or, as we call it here in Arizona, Friday.

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Sometimes I start to wonder how Arizona manages to keep functioning, but then I remember I live in a state where four out of our seven previous governors wound up in prison, and just last week the Republican candidate for governor accepted a 2.5 million dollar bribecampaign contribution, and we seem to be doing relatively okay.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:28 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/story/brahm-re ... /12701279/
Republican congressional candidate and state legislator Adam Kwasman had just raced up to Phoenix Tuesday morning from the Oracle protest over the expected arrival of dozens of migrant children at a shelter.

He had tweeted from the scene, "Bus coming in. This is not compassion. This is the abrogation of the rule of law." He included a photo of the back of a yellow school bus.

Kwasman later told me he saw the migrant children. "I was actually able to see some of the children in the buses. The fear on their faces.... This is not compassion," he said.

But there was a problem with Kwasman's story: There was no fear on their faces. Those weren't the migrant children in the school bus. Those were children from the Marana school district. They were heading to the YMCA's Triangle Y Camp, not far from the Rite of Passage shelter for the migrants, at the base of Mt. Lemmon.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Some enraged lunatic tails their bus taking pictures and you don't think they were afraid?

(Apparently they weren't, according to witnesses. Kids are stupid.)

Bal

Postby Bal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 pm

I went to the Triangle Y for a weekend school trip in fifth grade. There is reason to fear. The migrants will be fine though.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Well, as fine as they can be in Arizona anyway.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Just got my giant voter's guide. I'm really hoping that the enormous Hispanic population keeps all the flagrantly racist, border control wack-jobs out, but I don't feel like Terry Goddard has any better chance this time than than any of the other times he's run, and I can't even remember the other Democrats name. I'm looking for a lesser evil here, a Republican I can hope will win just to keep things from being 100% evil, and I can't find it.

EDIT: oh, I flipped a page too far. Goddard is only running for secretary of state. So there's only ONE democrat, Fred DuVal, who I literally know nothing about except this little blurb which seems to indicate he's in to actually funding education and cutting government corruption.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:03 am

I really didn't

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Well, how the fuck are they going to remove him from my ballot when it's sitting on my kitchen counter?

(Well, okay, so he's not on my ballot because I'm in District 9. But my point is, yeah it's kinda tough to remove a candidate from the ballot after early ballots have already shipped.)