The Many Poisonous Animals of the Amazon

pacobird

Re: The Many Poisonous Animals of the Amazon

Postby pacobird » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm

If by "horrifying and disgusting" you mean "entirely typical of shitty, self-promoting middle management."

Yeah obviously this guy has been dicked around and Amazon's noncompete and severance offer were both garbage, but hey, that's what lawyers are for. They'll make it to summary judgment (or not), then settle for an undisclosed amount. Hardly newsworthy, sadly.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:59 pm

" I’ve sent two letters to Jeff Bezos (as these are serious issues that I believe he would care about as the founder of the company and keeper of the culture)"

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Bezos is Richer Than Creosote

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:10 pm

By the way, you may have seen headlines that Bezos is "The Richest Man in Modern History" (hence the thread title).

Strictly speaking, this is inaccurate clickbait (imagine that), as it only reflects the Forbes lists compiled since 1987. In reality, he "only" is seventh among all figures of the last 500-600 years (which is about as far back as we can go and still get concrete, inflation-adjustable figures), after Henry Ford in 6th place.

But the robber barons have been back for a decade or two now, baby. There's no denying it.

And while some, like Gates and Buffet are at least committed to giving all or most of their money away, Bezos has no such weakness. Oh sure, there's a little charity for the look of the thing but hearing those words, "Richest dude" what what was really important.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Yeah, Amazon's been doing some truly awful shit over the past few years, but when this went down, holy hell was that a new low:

Really starting to grate on my conscious to still be at AR after this shit. I'd probably leave if: [A] I wasn't so sure finding a similar job at this level would be a nightmare, and [B] it wasn't so painfully clear that the entire certification system I've built over the past two years would fall apart if I left to the people who would take my place. I need to get them self-sufficient.

Any time someone from corporate tries to float some kind of marketing horseshit about being "proud of what Amazon has accomplished" it is the height of comedy.

François

Postby François » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Amazon is as close to an AAA corp from Shadowrun as we've ever seen in real life. It's a hair from extraterroriality by now, and one might argue it doesn't even need it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Well. This is horrifying.

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 pm

They're really missing the glory days of the old mining company towns, huh?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:32 pm

My favourite comment is "How about you actually provide daycare for your existing employees first, huh?"

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 pm

Amazon’s HQ2 was a con, not a contest

“I lease office space all the time for my businesses and I always tell my real estate agent, ‘We can lease any office in the world as long as I can walk there from where I live,’” Galloway said on the latest episode. “Amazon is now talking about having three headquarters, Seattle, Crystal City and Long Island City. The Bezos’s also own three homes, and the average distance from those three homes to a headquarters is 6.4 miles.

“This was never a contest,” he added. “It was a con meant to induce ridiculous terms that they then took to the cites all along that they knew they were going to be in.”

In other words: By soliciting bids from lots of place where it was never going to move, Galloway alleges, Amazon was probably able to get more tax breaks from the pre-determined “winners.”

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Also, Virginia has to tell Amazon about public records requests - with enough lead time that Amazon can get an injunction from the courts if it doesn't like them.

Oh and there's this cherry on top of the shitcake:

EDIT: Also Brent/Mothra/whoever, could you please merge this with "Poisonous Animals of the Amazon"? (feel free to pick whichever title you prefer).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:43 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Headline:
‘Kill your foster parents’: Amazon’s Alexa encounters awkward moments as it learns to converse

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:27 pm

You may have noticed in passing that there was some sort of news about an attempt at blackmailing Bezos with supposed pics of his junk. I think the Enquirer is involved somehow? I'm deliberately trying not to get the details on this one, considering "Bezos vs National Enquirer" is already making my eyes roll back hard enough that I may need medical attention.

Anyway, this story has not been without it's upsides...

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Bezos publicly claimed that the Enquirer was blackmailing him with threats to publish his stolen dick pics in their rag, which I can't imagine would ever be more damaging than telling the world that 1) you totally have been sending dick pics 2) you let the dumbass National Enquirer get them and 3) you actually let them bully you with it instead of calling a really easy bluff.

World's. Most. Successful. Businessman.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:35 pm

In more relevant news, local politicians and residents are actually moving to try and block HQ2 from New York. These are popping up everywhere:

Cuomo and De Blasio are still backing Bezos, but we'll see what happens. It was previously considered a done deal, so even a longer shot like this is a bit of hopeful news. Also, apparently none of the major underlying transactions for the land etc. have taken place yet, so the "AmazNo" campaign is not just tilting at windmills.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:52 am

Brentai wrote:Bezos publicly claimed that the Enquirer was blackmailing him with threats to publish his stolen dick pics in their rag, which I can't imagine would ever be more damaging than telling the world that 1) you totally have been sending dick pics 2) you let the dumbass National Enquirer get them and 3) you actually let them bully you with it instead of calling a really easy bluff.

World's. Most. Successful. Businessman.

If his goal was to keep it quiet, then yeah, this was the wrong way to go about that.

If his goal was to damage the National Enquirer, this was a pretty good way to go about that.

Federal prosecutors are looking at whether the Enquirer's feud with Bezos violated a cooperation and non-prosecution agreement that recently spared the gossip sheet from charges in the hush-money case, two people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press on Friday.

Remember that Peter Thiel burned Gawker to the ground because it outed him. As far as Bezos is concerned, it's the Enquirer's fault that his wife is divorcing him. I wouldn't underestimate the role that plain old petty revenge plays in this.

But on top of that, if he's right and the Enquirer has violated its deal with federal prosecutors, that seems a lot worse to me than posting a few seconds of a Hulk Hogan sex tape.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Mongrel wrote:In more relevant news, local politicians and residents are actually blocking HQ2 from New York.

Fixed that for you, with the latest news.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:22 pm

when u a hundred billion dollar corporation and nyc still pushes u out