Little Pig, Little Pig! Let Me Admin! (Security Thread)

Grath

Re: Little Pig, Little Pig! Let Me Admin! (Security Thread)

Postby Grath » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Looks like the problem is that High Sierra just shipped with a root account with no password because setting the root password fixes the issue.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for that, Grath. I think I'm still going to attempt my long-delayed install of Windows 10 on this MacBook Pro tonight, though.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 am

If you've got an Intel chip, be sure to update as soon as possible, a huge bug lets regular programs access kernel memory space.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 am

As it turns out, there are two huge memory-access bugs, Meltdown and Spectre. Meltdown is the one that's been confirmed on Intel chips but not yet known to affect any other processors; Spectre affects Intel, AMD, and ARM. Both are critically serious -- "JavaScript can read your passwords" serious.

The security patches have some potentially huge performance impacts, mostly on file R/W operations. (Servers are going to be affected in a big way, but you shouldn't notice a significant impact on gaming performance.)

It's possible that these bugs have existed for decades, it's unknown whether they've ever been exploited, and if they have, there wouldn't be any evidence in any logs. So yeah you're gonna wanna update your shit, whether said shit is Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, BSD, or whatever.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:17 pm