The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Mongrel

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Details released in bizarre naked kidnapping case near Edmonton.
They thought it was Armageddon and wanted to save their neighbours.

They believed police were monsters. They showed super strength after being pepper sprayed and Tasered.

And all but one of them were naked because, with the end of the world, they didn’t have time to get dressed.

TA

Postby TA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:02 am

Mongrel wrote:I'd have never guessed that I'd be happy about the Supreme Court siding 9-0 with Rogers, but well, strange days.

OTTAWA -- Internet service providers can recover some of the costs of helping movie companies and other copyright holders find illegal downloaders, the Supreme Court of Canada says.

In a 9-0 decision Friday, the high court sided with Rogers Communications in ruling that the companies pursuing copyright violators should reimburse service providers a reasonable amount for the effort of looking up subscribers suspected of breaking the law.

So, sounds like ISPs are incentivized to start pinging every bit of traffic they can find and invoicing the holders, then? I fail to see how this is good.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:49 am

TA wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I'd have never guessed that I'd be happy about the Supreme Court siding 9-0 with Rogers, but well, strange days.

OTTAWA -- Internet service providers can recover some of the costs of helping movie companies and other copyright holders find illegal downloaders, the Supreme Court of Canada says.

In a 9-0 decision Friday, the high court sided with Rogers Communications in ruling that the companies pursuing copyright violators should reimburse service providers a reasonable amount for the effort of looking up subscribers suspected of breaking the law.

So, sounds like ISPs are incentivized to start pinging every bit of traffic they can find and invoicing the holders, then? I fail to see how this is good.

They only do that if requested to by a copyright troll - which was previously a cost incurred by ISPs, but which they can now bill the trolls. Like more ordinary business transactions, ISPs can't just start pingiing everything and then billing for services unrequested.

Basically Canadian ISPs don't give a fuck if there's piracy, so anything that makes copyright trolls go away is fine by them.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Weed is legal in Canada today.

This is mostly unremarkable, but every time the news mentions we're only the second country EVER (after Uruguay of all places - yes the Netherlands doesn't count as it's only locally unrestricted), to have nationally-legal weed I'm still kind of flabbergasted.

In many ways Harper wasn't wrong when he proclaimed that Canada is a conservative country (his mistake was conflating small-c with capital-C), so while our being an early global adopter of a reasonable policy isn't super strange, it seems absolutely nuts that we're literally on the vanguard on this one.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Do you have any insight on how the law works in regards to worker's rights? Because I have read at least a half a dozen people on social media (admittedly just average canadians not law makers) say that it effectively changes nothing in regards to random drug testing and firings related to it in the country, basically meaning that if you want to keep your job its still effectively prohibited.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 pm

For some reason it was really hard for me to phrase this in a way that didn't come across like "you're asking the wrong question, let me fix that for you".

Basically I learned while thinking about this that there is no at-will employment in Canada, so it seems like acceptance is a workplace affair and not a legal one. Plus it's something that should be clear in the employment agreement, though I'm sure there will be some messiness with the rollover.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

The reason I asked a Canadian is because the actual Canadian government's statement on it is that while they are currently trying to develope tests which will test for "at the time of testing" intoxication this is not currently possible for weed but despite this employees still have the right to use "currently acceptable testing procedures" (urine test which can contain thc for weeks after use) to "ensure a safe and drug free work environment" and I wasn't sure how canadian labor laws changed the interpretation of that statement.

Also I realize there would be no legal penelty for having THC in your blood stream, but making something legal but still allowing your citizens to be fired for doing it is very anti-labor.

I'm not saying people should be able to show up to work stoned, just that allowing people to potentually lose their job because the only two ways to randomly drug test people that doesn't envolve having them go to a hospital to have blood draws is hair (which can show THC use for months) and urine (weeks).

Side note, this is actually apperently fast tracking thc breathalizer research which seems pretty cool in a sciency nerd kinda way.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Okay, well you can also be fired for smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol outside of work, depending on the "drug and alcohol free environment" the employer enforces. This new law only impacts a business if their policy specifically reads "no illegal substances" or something to that extent with no other information. Which is what I mean by it not being a legal thing.

"the government told me I could smoke weed but I got in trouble for it at my job" is certainly an issue, but less with the law and more with the person's understanding of their workplace policy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Beat's correct that generally there's no At-Will employment in Canada once you pass a probation period (almost always three weeks).

Weed at work has basically been left to the employer, so regulations will vary enormously, with some companies saying its fine as long as you don't work impaired, while others (notably some police forces) having severe restrictions, such as no consumption 28 days either before OR after any work shift (which effectively constitutes a de facto ban).

It's possible that the most restrictive policies will see court challenges, but we'll see.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Could I add a corollary to your earlier comment? This one:

Mongrel wrote:In many ways Harper wasn't wrong when he proclaimed that Canada is a conservative country...

I'd say humanity trends small-c conservative. It's only when a country's large C-conservative's take power, as they so often do, that the small-c types decide that being apathetic tools is worth voting for the other guy/s and maybe fixing the issue. I remember writing a piece shortly after Harper's first win that, should he maintain power, he'd end up doing a lot of damage to large-C conservative issues in Canada.

And although there's obviously still a lot of dunderheads to deal with, I stand by it. The overwhelming thrust on a lot of issues has changed, drastically, since the early 2000s.

Little victories are still victories, and though I've zero interest in weed myself (as I'm probably, like, 80% carcinogen/caffeine), it's neat. I was going to bake (oho) a cake to celebrate for my friends, but they preferred to netflix and, well, netflix; and good for them.