The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

François

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby François » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:11 am

So that makes two reasons I'm hella bummed about sleeping through Poutinefest this year. How come I'm always the last to know about national party leaders coming within trivial walking distance of my apartment? I don't even hate that one!

...if Scheer and Bernier are coming, don't tell me.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Might be voting for him.

I figure if the only times in the past four years I ever thought of calling my local MP was to lodge a formal complaint about something the Government was doing (and then not doing that because all that would result was them calling me back later to pester me to vote Liberal), then maybe it's time to vote local, eh?

Especially since it's already apparent that the local dipper candidate has a way better ground game and also since our Provincial MPP's office (Peter Tabuns, and yes, NDP) has actually been seriously helpful several times over. It's funny (but not entirely surprising) to realize that NDP folks have done more for us in real terms while out of government at all levels, than anyone else has while in.

François

Postby François » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Yeah, I'm voting NDP for the second time in a row for sure. Their platform makes sense to me, Brigitte Sansoucy has been doing a very acceptable job here (including some action on the housing issues we've been having and that are dear to my heart), and, well, the Bloc has imploded so it's not like there's a lot of sane competition for my support.

I've almost managed to talk my mom into going NDP too, but... she's worried that Singh will "put his religion before the country". Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Never mind that Sikhs take it as a sacred duty to protect those who can't protect themselves. What a tragedy it would be if she was right!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Speaking of Bernier, how how long do any of you think it'll be before he says or does something stupid enough to remind everyone outside the nub of idiots who'll vote for his vanity party that he still exists?

(I'm not going to pretend that there isn't an audience in Canada for what Bernier's peddling, but mercifully he's about as capable and charismatic as one of those foul-mouthed uncles who pass out drunk in the middle of the floor at parties).

François

Postby François » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Cripes, I'm surprised he's not doing that right now. Clock's ticking in any case, so, let's say, 4 days, time enough to forego the low-hanging dry turds and cook up a real wet stinker.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Never mind that Sikhs take it as a sacred duty to protect those who can't protect themselves.

Yeah Sikhs are rad as fuck. They may actually be the raddest people on earth.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:58 am

Well Bernier's getting invited to the official debates, presumably because the networks have decided to put spectacle before substance as usual.

So we should have something inane from him soon enough.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Well, since all the systemic and institutional racism, all the overt acts of aggression against First Nations for the sake of oil companies, all of this hasn't seem to tarnish Trudeau any ...

Maybe doing something ugly in a newsworthy way will stick. Something visibly gross, instead of tidily violent.

Trudeau's already apologized, describing it as "putting makeup on" instead of blackface or brownface, while mentioning that he also used to do this in high school to perform in talent shows. Said "I've always been more enthusiastic in costumes than is sometimes appropriate", and that he "didn't think it was racist at the time". But, of course, he also said he's not resigning and is going to keep campaigning.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:03 pm

essentially

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 pm

Jesus fuck what is the matter with people that they can't just fucking say "I was ignorant. I've learned better since then/I'm trying to learn better since then."

Even if it's a complete fucking lie and they're still racist as fuck (the race version of "thoughts and prayers", perhaps?), I don't get why anyone in [CURRENT YEAR] would try to obviously crabwise their way out of it. How stupid do you have to be to not at least parrot the correct boilerplate?

Someone doing something racist twenty years ago isn't half as damning to me as acting like a complete fucknoggle RIGHT NOW is.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:00 am

Yeah, seriously, lots of people have done and said stupid shit they feel ashamed about much later. But, this "I didn't know at the time, as a mere 30 year old teacher of children in the year two thousand and one, that it was bad to paint myself in shoe polish and do my old Raja Justin of the East routine" line? He's lying to save face, because of how much this goes against the ideals he loudly professes to hold, and it's so fucking transparent.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Polls are in freefall, but news cycles are as they are.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:29 am

I'm not actually pleased about this, because I'd rather that people remember that Andrew Scheer is not actually someone you want to vote for.

No matter how terrible Trudeau's behaviour was, the actual release of those picture was nothing but pure political engineering by the Conservatives. I mean, I'm probably not voting Liberal, but I'd still rather have Trudeau over Scheer by miles.

Luckily, thanks to the traditional Conservative vote concentration out west, it's looking like the Liberals are still on track to win. Lots of runway left though. Not liking the NDP's prospects right now either.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Oh goody.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 pm

We shoot every 3rd prime number liberal, divided by 2 on odd numbered days of the month, and 4.5 on even days of the month, and then times 7 if it's a Friday, but if you're over 5'10 then it's times 3, and on wednesdays theres a fish special, and also we're using base 6.

563rd liberal just left. The train left four hours ago and is moving at 77kph.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Okay, that made me feel better. xD

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 am

I thought Canada was all superior to the US because they didn't have racist idiots with guns?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:56 pm

A thousand words.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:55 pm

please tell me he said some variation of "why should Canada stop polluting when the US and China"
ImageImageImage