The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:44 am

But we didn't refuse to sign it. We signed it and then backed out like the bunch of cowardly assclowns we are.

In fact, that reminds me that I'm really beginning to see that the defining Canadian trait is in fact... cowardice. Yes, including Quebec too. It's a magical burden of shame we can all share.

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm afraid of committing to this statement, but I don't think that's really unique in any way.
US-mericans are super afraid of "foreigners" as far as I can tell.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 pm

At the risk of sounding overconfident, I think that Rob Ford's hopes of re-election have just been firmly and finally destroyed

Summary: THREE new videos (it's a trilogy!) are being shopped around of him still smoking crack. With Sandro Lisi in the background. And the videos were taken at his sister's house.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu May 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

So, in yesterday's confusion, I apparently missed that there's ANOTHER recording of Ford - audio only - that also just came out of him at a dive bar near his parents' house, during which he curses out other candidates, tries to start fights with people in the bar (!), and angrily demands more and more drinks from the bartender (telling them bartender at one point that "I'll break your legs if you don't gimme another."). It is also suspected that he drove himself home.

This man is on a roll.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu May 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Oh yeah and he's pretty much abandoned the city hiding out in a cabin getting help for his "alcohol abuse".

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri May 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Sooooooo... Looks like Tim Hudak's doing his darndest to lose the provincial election.

The Tory leader has already said that teachers will be targeted. He also vowed to eliminate agencies like the Ontario Power Authority, Local Health Integration Networks and the College of Trades.

Those steps would be coupled with a two-year wage freeze for everyone in the broader public sector including politicians, civil servants and anyone else paid by taxpayers.

I think it's funny how he's going after the College of Trades, considering one of the things he says he wants is more people in the skilled trades.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 09, 2014 3:21 pm

The college of trades is a bit of a red tape mess and probably SHOULD be abolished, but everything else he's said is just AWFUL. So... he's in fine Hudak form. The 100,000 claim is going to TERRIFY people. Great way to elected Tim! And given he was a Harris cabinet minister, no one's going to believe him even if he totally backpedals.

When I saw the story break this morning, I actually tried to find out how many public-sector employees Ontario has. I couldn't find the number employed at the provincial level, but there are 1,300,000 public employees at all levels of government. Given some numbers of them are federal and municipal employees, 100,000 is a ludicrous number.

On top of that, it makes Hudak's pledge to "create 1,000,000 jobs" seems even more ridiculous (though that was already idiotic, if you looked at the details, like his plan to force every tradesman in the province to take on an apprentice(!)). Guess that's a plan instead to create 1,100,000 jobs, eh Tim?

I mean, I think the Liberals are doing a TON of shit wrong and really need to get out (apart from everything else our energy problems are a fucking disaster and we really ARE spending money we can't afford on a pile of frivolous crap with low returns on investment), but I do like their pension idea and don't want to see it die. Right now my best-case scenario is for the Liberals to win another minority and for the Cons to finally fucking turf Hudak and (dear god I can only pray) dig up a real leader somewhere who'll contest another election maybe 2 more years from now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 pm

AWWWW YEAH MONTREAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

François

Postby François » Wed May 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Haha, I was just coming in here to say that! Maaaaaan. The Montréal Impact, the city's professional soccer team, had a match tonight, and they actually broadcast the last three minutes of the hockey game live on their jumbotron equivalent; apparently the 150-something people in that arena were mighty chuffed with that decision.

And to think these guys were dead last in 11-12. Wow.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 pm

Their winning that series just feels so good.

The small quick talented guys beating the slow dirty goon tank squad with utterly despicable fans, after seven incredibly tight games of great, close hockey where they were pushed to the brink of elimination is movie stuff.

I don't care who wins the cup now, really for me these playoffs were about that series.

Of course if they wiiiiiiinnnnnnnn, well now, that's even better. ^____^

Price is really looking like monsieur cool, and this was certainly one of the harder oppponents, so they've sure as hell got a shot!

François

Postby François » Thu May 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Almost kinda makes me wish I still had cable to watch those games on. The sports guys at 98,5fm are really good at what they do though so I can hardly complain.

It's kinda eerie to think about how there are outright adults in Québec today who haven't seen the Habs win the Cup in their lifetime. Man it'd be nice if that changed.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 15, 2014 2:11 pm

Man I WORK for you-know-who and I just use those dodgy re-streaming sites (well, they're tolerably dodgy anyway). Currently I use vipboxam.co

It also occurred to me that the habs two biggest stars right now - Price & Subban - are from BC and Toronto, respectively. So if anyone wants to make a claim to them being a national team right now...

François

Postby François » Sat May 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Well, a number of Bruins fans are probably popping Gravol like candy right about now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 17, 2014 9:38 pm

François wrote:Well, a number of Bruins fans are probably popping Gravol like candy right about now.

Not sure why they'd be nauseous?... I mean the Habs just got wrecked :/

François

Postby François » Sat May 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Well, in the sense of "we wouldn't have lost 2-7 to New York, what cruel God would let those plumbers beat us?"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 18, 2014 11:16 pm

François

Postby François » Mon May 19, 2014 12:04 am

Whuh-oh.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 am