The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

nosimpleway

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:12 pm

Mongrel wrote:Imagine Americans not repairing the White House for 75 years.

I would not put it past the Federalist Society to move for exactly this

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:44 pm

So what became of the nazi? I would like to say he went right into jail but you know...

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:58 pm

Destynova wrote:So what became of the nazi? I would like to say he went right into jail but you know...

Apparently Poland wants to extradite him. Wouldn't be the first time we'd shipped a nonagenerian Nazi off either.

Not that that at least is a particularly Canadian thing... happens in the US and other countries too - no statute of limitations on being a member of the fuckin Waffen SS in western countries.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:06 pm

Indian hacker groups now targeting crucial government infrastructure for attacks.

The tl;dr is it's not an official group. So either plausible deniability, or possibly even just regular assholes doing it on their own initiative, rather than it being an actual government op. The latter is quite possible because it was a very ineffective attempt, a rash of minor nuisance DDoS attacks that were casually slapped down.

Probably a joke in there about being able to tell that a hacker group is truly incompetent if even Canadian public servant IT dorks can shut it down.

Regardless, this shit is getting so comical. These "reprisals" are all so petty and dumb. Like do they not have a playbook for getting publicly called out on committing acts which can legally be considered a fucking causus belli?! All they had to do was deny involvement and promise to do a joint investigation, which they could then stonewall or misdirect, but instead we get this Three Stooges Diplomatic Corps shit. They're making the Wolf Warriors look wise and thoughtful and that's damned impressive.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:36 pm

They might actually not have a plan, or at least not a great one; India's diplomatic corps is notoriously overworked and understaffed. It is depressingly plausible that someone senior at their Canadian embassy is in waaaaaay over their head.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:02 pm

Oh man, that whole thing reads like an absolute tire fire.

I suppose that might explain a few things. Especially since we already gave one of their most senior diplomats in Canada the boot as a starting measure (not an ambassador, the guy nearly every embassy has whose job title is "Totally not the head of all foreign intel ops in your country, oh no, not me").

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:30 pm

Skies have been rather hazy due to the fires. We also had fog which made things perfect for Silent Hill cosplay

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:40 pm

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2023/10/13/ ... mer-Nazis/

welcome to the Great White North, eh

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:21 pm

Fits with everything else.

Not even remotely surprised, given the way former Nazis pop up in the news every couple years as some country or other wants to extradite one.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:44 pm

This is US news rather than Canadian, but directly follows from the recent assassination of Hardeep Singh Nijjar here: U.S. reportedly thwarts plot to kill Sikh separatist, issues warning to India

"Holy shit, would you fucking knock it off already?"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:23 pm

I'm gonna put this here as another chapter in the the same but increasingly-international story. If one of our mods feels like this should be a separate thread of some sort, feel free.

Indian gov't official charged by US DOJ with overseeing the plot to assassinate a Sikh-American in the US

It could be argued that this is still relatively bigger news in and for Canada, but I think this is serious enough to potentially affect US-Indian relations now too.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:57 am

> Evil Empire

going right for the Reagan playbook, I see

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:46 am

"Fellas, is it fascist to teach everyone that fascists were totally awesome?"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:56 am

I heard the most sublime description of Poilievre today: "Milhouse as a Fascist"

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:38 pm

For a long time I have have an intense distrust of men who dress and groom themselves "sleek" (for lack of a better term) and never really knew why. It was just a gut thing. I'm talking about random young dudes I see on the street dressed and groomed so close. Watching this guy, just now, I think I finally understand. They want to appear suave and cool so they can sell you something. Sometimes that thing is a physical thing so they can make money, sometimes it's a scam, and sometimes it's fascist ideology and fossil-ancient anti-communist fear mongering so old that it tells stories about how things were better before the big bang.

I'm not saying that every guy who dresses and grooms themselves like that is an untrustworthy scumbag, of course. I knew a guy online once who was as kind as Romo, Yoji and Silver all put together and dressed in that super slick/sleek style. But if you do dress and groom your facial hair like that, I'm just gonna start from the assumption that you're trying to manipulate me against my interests and go from there.
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:12 pm

Ah yes, the Harold Hill principle.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:26 pm

Coco the cat's leap of faith, or An Extremely Newfie Cat Story (with video) (it was even in Dildo, NF, if the rest wasn't enough).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:01 am

The Toronto Sun published a cartoon yesterday depicting Zelenskyy as a cartoon Jew picking Biden's pocket. They've already been forced to "apologize", and fired the "cartoonist" in the past 24h. Supposedly some folks will try to organize for sacking the editor next. It wouldn't really matter though, other than sending more signals that, no, for the time being we're still gonna shit a brick when you test the waters for peddling grotesque antisemetic bile.

Yeah, I could theoretically have put this in the Jernalism thread, but even the lowest shit in there is probably better than an average everyday issue of the Toronto Sun (which actually manages to be worse on average than even the Calgary Sun, which is impressive).

A bit of background on that: The Sun chain of city papers is owned by PostMedia, which also publishes the National Post (another right wing rag, slightly better at disguising itself as some sort of legitimate paper, but the same shit) and is in turn owned by various shady US & MAGA-linked "asset companies". A great many of the senior staff are ex-Ford staff (both Rob and Doug) and they in turn have sent staff to Dougie's office to take media jobs there.

So, you know, no surprise to anyone who's ever heard of the Sun - even if you don't know the ownership details, most everyone knows it's a vile rag. Oh and they had a TV arm that failed so horribly it's mostly remembered as a punchline. But most folks outside of Canada have never heard of the Sun chain, nor should they have been expected to, so that's what they're about FWIW.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:22 am

Huh. Apparently no relation to the UK's The Sun that is also known to be a vile rag.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:54 pm

where do you think they got the idea