Blossom

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby Blossom » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Not just any mosque!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:00 am

Apparently the shooters yelled "allahu ackbar". My assumption (and hope!) for now is that is was white guys laying on an extra layer of shittiness, but god knows what other horrors we need from idiots of any race trying to stir shit up.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 pm

The police have finally confirmed that Alexandre Bissonette, a white Quebecker, is the suspect. A Moroccan immigrant also turned himself in; his involvement is unclear (he was armed and some witnesses mentioned seeing two people in masks though only one attacked the mosque), but he has been ruled out as an additional suspect and he is instead being referred to by police as a witness.

Suddenly /pol/ finds the story much less interesting.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:24 pm

So the early reports that the "second guy" was masked or armed were apparently confusion or whatever and that there was no second guy in any way shape or form - this was a completely solo act.

What happened is that Mohamed Belkhadir, a Moroccan student, heard the shooting, ran in to help the people who'd been shot, but saw a man with a gun, and so ran away again. Only it turned out that the "guy with a gun" he saw was one of the police responding to the scene and so all the cop saw was a second guy running away. They both confused each other for a second attacker.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Oh man, it turns out the guy was radicalized by Marine LePen when she came to town.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:09 am

<Grant> http://imgur.com/a/F0k55
<Glocks4Interns> that's great
<Glocks4Interns> i also like how the article doesn't have an update notice or anything despite having a new headline and massive changes
<Grant> The ridiculous part was that when some source fucked up and said there were two suspects in custody, the actual shooter and Khadir, Khadir (and his ethnic origin) was the only one worthy of making it into the Fox News headlines
<Grant> I really hope somebody ends up very confused about why uncle Jimbob thinks Canada should deport the Quebecois
<Mongrel> I'm just waiting for the posts claiming "Bisonette" is an Arabic name.
<Draconis> It's Arabic for "Bison Jr", he's the new leader of Shadaloo.

François

Postby François » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am

Yeah, before the names came out, my mother was convinced it was two Muslim terrorists. When I asked her "why the hell would they shoot up a mosque then", she said "bad Muslims must be going after good Muslims".

On one hand, it's wonderful that she's finally got it in her head that there can be "good Muslims" at all. On the other hand, it didn't even occur to her that this could be a white dude with white parents and a name she could pronounce without making a face. I wonder if there'll be any progress in her mindset next time we have a chance to talk about it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Mongrel wrote:why uncle Jimbob thinks Canada should deport the Quebecois

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this also the opinion of much of Quebec?

François

Postby François » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:45 pm

French-Canadians with any notion of history don't tend to be too keen on deportation in general, what with what the British did to the Acadians back in the 18th century.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:26 pm

It's a very small point, but I appreciate that all the mainstream newspapers I've seen covering the story (Canadian ones anyway) have referred to the shooter as a troll (among other things), and without quotation marks.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:52 am

Two local men, aged 28 and 39, will face yet-to-be-determined charges.

McEachern said it is illegal to tow a couch through a drive-thru, but the two men were wearing helmets.

Oh, nice to know they don't need to cite any particular law you're supposed to have violated in order to arrest and jail you.

François

Postby François » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:09 am

The article makes no mention of anyone actually being behind bars; if you're given a traffic ticket and let go, you were technically under arrest for a few minutes without jail ever being involved. Besides, this is not a case where what they were doing has a chance of technically not being illegal, it's a case of "this is clearly at least one of a number of illegal things, any of which would justify arrest on their own, and we still need to determine out which ones we're gonna take to the judge before we talk to the press about it". Even if through some extraordinarily lenience that couch passes for a trailer, New Brunswick requires trailers to pass a safety inspection before they're declared road-legal (see page 32 of the NB driver's handbook), and you can well be arrested at least temporarily for not having the appropriate official sticker. In other words, towing a couch to a drive-thru seems to be already illegal even if no one's riding it.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:31 am

At the risk of going all TA on you, in the US at least, being detained, ticketed and released has completely different standards than being arrested, and being detained is absolutely not "being arrested technically". I don't know Canadian law though so maybe? All that being said if youre going through a drive-thru on a couch you're getting arrested for public drunkenness. That what you're arrested for.

Also TA should know this but "yet to be determined charges" is kind of a nothing burger anyways. You aren't charged with a crime by the police, they write a citation or arrest report and its up to lawyers to determine whether to charge you with a crime and what crimes to charge you with.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 pm

At the very least they weren't wearing seatbelts.

François

Postby François » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Joxam wrote:At the risk of going all TA on you, in the US at least, being detained, ticketed and released has completely different standards than being arrested, and being detained is absolutely not "being arrested technically". I don't know Canadian law though so maybe?

Hmm. I had seen this page relating to US law (which I guess is some sort of justice system webmd?) while researching the topic and it says...

A driver is stopped for a routine traffic violation. The driver technically is under arrest because the driver is not free to leave until the officer has written a ticket (or if it’s the driver’s lucky day, only issued a warning). But the arrest is temporary.

So that's where I got that from.

For New Brunswick, specifically, I found the following on the website of a NB non-profit for legal educationL

What happens once I've been arrested?

The police have the power to search you then and there. Next, they may take you to the police station and give you the opportunity to contact a lawyer if you have not already done so. You may be booked and your personal belongings will be taken from you.

If you are placed under arrest the police will ask you for details, such as your name, address and date of birth. You must tell them your name and address. If you lie about your name or address, you can be charged with obstructing justice or obstructing the police. You will likely be searched again, especially if the police decide to hold you until Court.

Operative word here being the two instances of "may".

Other relevant portion...

Will I know why I've been arrested?

The law requires a police officer who arrests you to give you a reason for the arrest and to do so promptly. The word "promptly" means immediately or as soon as possible. Police are not expected to give details. They will give you a general statement of the charge against you.

Pretty sure the chucklenuts in question here knew why they were arrested the moment they saw police show up, even if the specific details of what exact laws were broken are still in the air. If the police wants to throw the book at these guys, I have no doubt there's a lot to choose from, and if they want to be lenient, it's probably best not to make hasty accusations.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:05 pm

It seems like the thing about Trudeau's meeting with Trump that news sites are talking about the most is the handshake.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:12 pm

So Tim Hortons just bought Popeye's.

Hm.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Mongrel