The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Mongrel

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Winnipeg today.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Election proceeding mostly as predicted with the Libs retaining the throne, but as a cut-down minority and everyone else picking up a bit here and there.

Not really a fan of the Bloc having more seats than the NDP so far. I'd prefer the Libs having to beg the NDP to prop them up but if they're the 4th place party instead of the 3rd, then dancing around the Bloc gets a little awkward. That said, BC returns aren't in yet (where the NDP are strongest and where the Bloc won't exactly have any more pickups, lol) and it looks like Ruth-Ellen Brosseau will keep her seat in spite of the orange massacre going on in Quebec, so hooray.

Best bit so far is seeing Bernier already behind by nearly 700 votes, and that gap is growing wider with each update (only 15% of the polls in for Beauce so far).

EDIT: In the time it took me to type this, Bernier fell to being 1400 votes behind. Muhahaha.

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Here's to hoping the Liberals can make the right compromises.

Bernier eating dirt is probably the best news of the night, yeah. It would have been alarming to see him or his ilk win anywhere, so in a sense, we've passed a sanity check.

Aaaand it looks like the Bloc is replacing the NPD in my home county (Saint-Hyacinthe-Bagot), but I'm not too broken up about it, they'd have been my second choice. Not the best, but, eh, oh well.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Maxime Bernier
- Beauce
Lost by 6,003 votes

EDIT: Updated with new, even higher total :D

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Grath wrote:

YES.
OUI.
Applaudir, SVP!

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 pm

dohohohohoho

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Oh dang, so, the Rhinoceros Party ran some rando named Maxime Bernier opposite the "real" Maxime Bernier, and...

Man, that's a good one to go to bed to.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:40 pm

That would have been too cute, but the actual outcome (the real Bernier is being blown out by a margin in the thousands), feels much more deeply satisfying.

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Oh right. Didn't check the timestamp. Heh, I really am tired.

Anyway. It coulda been worse. Good night, Canada.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:13 am

Ruth-Ellen lost ( ;___; ), but it was pretty close (smaller margin than any other lost NDP seat in Quebec, I think), so I hope she sticks around to run in what will probably be the next election in 1-2 years.

Jody Wilson-Raybould was reelected, which is fantastic news. Maybe it's better if she remain an independent, but it would be neat if Singh could somehow convince her to join the NDP.

Anyway, really kind of pissed about the popular vote. Moreso than even past elections, this one really shows how important the electoral reforms that Trudeau blew off are (is ranked voting really that fucking hard, people? No, it's not!).
Liberal: 33% (156 seats)
Conservative: 35% (121 seats)
Bloc Québécois: 8% (32 seats)
NDP: 16% (25 seats)
Green: 6% (3 seats)
(plus Jody Wilson-Raybould as the one independant)

It's especially frustrating with classic vote-splitting situations like Kenora, where the Lib/Con/NDP vote was almost equal. So they elected a fucking Con pylon instead of the existing Cabinet minister or Grassy Narrows chief Rudy Turtle (I was rooting for him too ;___; ).

François

Postby François » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:11 am

But then you wouldn't have Liberals shills all over the Internet telling people that a vote for the NDP is a vote for the Conservatives, and we sure as hell can't have that, can we.

François

Postby François » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Just in case our non-Canadian friends don't have the full context for why Bernier's loss is significant: the man tried to appeal to people who would have liked to vote for Trump. He saw the alt-right playbook in the US and thought he could make it work up here. He's not as visibly degenerate, but it's like, anti-immigrant rhetoric, check, climate change denial, check, give freebies to the rich, check, Nazi-adjacent twats are big fans, check, facts don't care about your feelings, check, and so on and so forth. He had a candidate in nearly every riding on the country, so it wasn't just the one yahoo in his isolated corner, it was a real attempt to start something.

The worst fear I had about this election is that he would get any traction at all. But he didn't. He got trounced in his own fief and didn't get anyone close to elected anywhere. Now make no mistake, Liberals and Conservatives still having so much support is a damned tragedy, but Bernier having received such a clear "no thanks, none of this please, fuck you very much" feels like permission to breathe again.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Yeah, not many countries even passing a basic San check these days, so that's something for sure.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Don Cherry fired by Sportsnet

Finally. Fucking FINALLY.

After all these years of Don being a bitter, cranky, racist, sexist, old hack who was only ever a loser in his own time and who'd lost any relevance as an actual hockey commentator over thirty years ago, someone finally took him out back of the shed and put him down.

Good fucking riddance and don't fucking come back.

EDIT: This bit makes me feel real good:
The Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council said it was so overloaded with complaints about the segment that it exceeded the organization’s technical processing capacity. The CBSC said it was dealing with the broadcast under its normal process, but was not able to accept any further complaints.

atog

Postby atog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Mongrel wrote:Don Cherry fired by Sportsnet

After all these years of Don being a bitter, cranky, racist, sexist, old hack who was only ever a loser in his own time and who'd lost any relevance as an actual hockey commentator over thirty years ago, someone finally took him out back of the shed and put him down.

The Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council said it was so overloaded with complaints about the segment that it exceeded the organization’s technical processing capacity. The CBSC said it was dealing with the broadcast under its normal process, but was not able to accept any further complaints.

Over/under on him being offered a new gig at Fox News
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 pm

atog wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Don Cherry fired by Sportsnet

Over/under on him being offered a new gig at Fox News

Nah it'd be Rebel Media

xD

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Or The Toronto Sun.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Man, even the Sun (who have given him a Warmington interview to rant on today and double-down!) had a pretty strong counter-editorial.

When even The Sun is all "well, we love you and you shouldn't have been fired and fuck the libs or holding your tongue... but you're actually completely wrong on this one.", man, geez.

EDIT: Hell, even the interview they did gave him has a pretty strong rebuke in it and not one statement of overt support. Don is absolutely raaadiiiiooactiiivvve right now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Headline from British Columbia news today: "Donor Peter Allard sues UBC, demands his name be printed on all law degrees."