Election 2016

Thad

Re: Election 2016

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Taibbi on Trump as threat to Murdoch:

Murdoch's genius is that he always found ways to hit new lows without hitting absolute bottom. He created a political propaganda network whose next step down was the Third Reich. But he's been careful to never go there, likely not because it's wrong, but because that next step scares advertisers – just ask Glenn Beck.

Along comes Trump, who wants not just to cross that invisible line, but race past it. He's pitching voters on the idea that Rupert's news network is a sellout establishment plant because it won't go there, and a good number of them are buying.

Now Murdoch has to worry how low he'll have to go to keep his street cred. His network wasted no time backing Trump's "Mexicans are rapists" comments. But they've been paralyzed, for instance, over the difficult question of whether or not women are fat menstruating pigs.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Lincoln Chaffee is the X-Factor contestant who Simon smiles at and says "You're a nice person, aren't you?" before voting off

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Politico: Rubio needs a new sugar daddy - yesterday. Let's see if he can find one!

While other candidates spent more on private airfare (Clinton paid $560,000 to a New York-based charter service and owed the company another $66,000) and catering, Rubio’s third quarter showing was consider disappointing. He posted a whopping 80-percent burn rate on a meager $5.7-million haul ― of which 21 percent came from small donors, with a larger percentage coming from maxed-out donors.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Much as I dislike Rubio, I'm more worried that I've become jaded to the fact that this is how politics works now has always worked. It just seems so much more nakedly shitty lately.

And thaAAaat's the way the news goes!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:34 pm

No, that's something subtly different from what I meant.

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:38 am

?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:49 am

One time, when I was in college, we had a party at Brad's house.

Brad called up a lady he was trying to date, to ask if she could come to his party. He got her voicemail.

And then Afro Jon started saying, "Lick my balls." Repeatedly.

And then everyone else in the room started repeating it.

And so Brad, being drunk and the highly susceptible to peer pressure to say inappropriate things, started repeating it too. Like, the last half of the voicemail he left was just peppered with him saying "Lick my balls", just in a conversational tone as an interjection every other sentence, you know? Like, "Anyway, lick my balls, Jane, lick my balls. I hope you can come by tonight. Lick my balls."

It turns out it did not go over very well with her.

I told him that it's just as well; if she was the sort of lady to get offended by a drunken voicemail repeating the phrase "Lick my balls" over and over again, then it was never going to work out between them, and he was lucky to have found that out sooner rather than later.

This doesn't really belong in the Election 2016 thread or the Politics board, but ultimately, we're talking about the fucking 2016 election in 2015. I could probably extrapolate the Lick My Balls Story into some kind of metaphor for the absurdity of the entire campaign season to date.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:23 am

I would almost want to vote for Trump if he just outright changed his campaign slogan to "Lick My Balls". That what he wants, that's what he's been saying this whole time. Just go ahead and do it.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Well, there IS the independent candidate Deez Nuts...

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:08 pm

A fringe candidate is finally talking about running as an independent in the race!

But it's Jim Webb, of all people. It's hard to say which way the bulk of his approximately 26 nationwide supporters would otherwise have voted.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Well, he already made it clear in the debate where he repeatedly established himself as the most conservative candidate in the Democratic field that he wanted some of those sweet, sweet Joe Lieberman demographics.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:28 pm

Sharkey wrote:Much as I dislike Rubio, I'm more worried that I've become jaded to the fact that this is how politics works now has always worked. It just seems so much more nakedly shitty lately.

And thaAAaat's the way the news goes!

If there's anything truly noteworthy about this election so far it's how little SuperPAC money has mattered compared to what was predicted.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 pm

I didn't know that was true could you elaborate or share a link?

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:34 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... .html?_r=0

EDIT: I kept revising this post, but it's really pretty simple. Of the top three fundraisers, two are funded mainly by small donations. Of the four candidates polling above 10% anywhere, 3 are funded mainly by small donations and the fourth is the recipient of pretty much ALL the Democrat superPAC money.

It's possible the REAL grease isn't going to be deployed until the general election, but I'm...not convinced it's that simple to buy a super-tribalized presidential election? Like, if the GOP gets dark money that allows it to outspend the Democrats 10-to-1, that might be nice for getting out the vote, but who's to say that isn't going to equally galvanize previously apathetic left-leaning voters who now have to see this crazy dude everywhere?

Anyway, the most important thing, I guess, is this:

The filings paint only a partial picture, however, because most outside groups supporting the candidates, like “super PACs,” will not submit their latest figures until Jan. 31.

We don't actually know who's getting all the dark money, but it might not even matter, because the actual campaign's being dominated by candidates who can get individual voters to open their wallets.

EDIT: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... 00-million

Here's an article about how a Bush superPAC had about $100 million sitting around as of July. What has it got him, really? Yeah, his campaign is still alive, but given this field of candidates, is it really so surprising that a remotely moderate, corporatist GOP candidate is going to be getting 8-9% if that sliver of cynical-but-not-insane GOP voters has nowhere else to go?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Biden out.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Or maybe he's just... Biden his time.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 am

John Cassidy of the New Yorker suggests that Jeb could be running out of money. If that's true, I think that is the one thing that could finish him before January (same as Walker).

I'm a little surprised -- though, I suppose, not that surprised -- that he was so incredibly foolish as to keep using the "my brother kept us safe" line. I can see doing it once on Twitter, but actually repeating it, multiple times, in increasingly visible venues?

I have to assume that his advisors were telling him to shut the hell up and he didn't listen to them. Though I guess it's possible he just has very bad advisors.

I haven't caught highlights of tonight's debate just yet. Headlines are suggesting it was pretty boring and had no clear winner, Trump was less interesting than usual, Bush failed to say anything to help him recover from the beating he's been taking, and Rubio and Cruz are both trying to take advantage of the opening.

I still think Rubio's got a shot at being the nominee. I still don't think Cruz does; as I said before, he's like Trump without the personal wealth, name recognition, or charisma.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:23 pm

The New Yorker channels The Onion: Ben Carson Shattering stereotypes about Brain Surgeons.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Brain surgeons, long burdened with the onerous reputation of being among the smartest people in the world, are expressing relief that the Republican Presidential candidate Ben Carson is shattering that stereotype once and for all.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

The Mad Max slang term for doctors, "Organic mechanic", is basically 100% true for most surgeons.